freight train clones

I probably got the name misspelled but didn't Rick Minimer who runs or did run with Keystone run this kind of set up. He was fast. Plus he could hook that think up on a tiny concrete track or a big dirt track. I think he did all the work on motors and mount himself. I believe it was pretty dependable.

What a good place to look into a jackshaft thats affordable, still not sure if I belts or chains are best way but definitely seems like after eveyones responses that I will need a jackshaft.

crandaas (JAMES) got your pm and get ahold of kartsbymo , he did all the hard labor in designing the layout and his is also clones. Ask him for best gear setup numbers and how to couple both carbs linkage into one.. Or get ahold of Mike Clements in Ocala, FL he can make you one.
Belts are perfect for racing but for dirt chain will be fine, belts are more expensive . Since your motors are under 24hp apiece.

Don't be so sure of that statement on chains being fine for his HP..depending on the set-up he goes with it will quite possibly have the ability to build up enough heat to turn the chains blue and melt the teeth off of the sprockets...chain speed is a real killer on these as the chains are often very very short and don't have enough unloaded time to cool. Small tracks may be OK, but on long tracks where your on the throttle any length of time the chains and sprockets are not the best solution. Been there done that....Will they work? Yes they will and they have....I stick with my initial statement. Freight Trained 4 strokes are for the guy who loves to constantly work on his stuff!

If you stick with 275 cams(245 duration@.050) and 7800 rpm, The chains and shoe clutch will be just fine. Jumping to 260 duration cams and 8800-9000 rpm you will have trouble. That is also where the clone blocks split in half. You would need to move to Honda blocks.

I happen to have a nice used freight train mount with a Burris jackshaft mount on it That I would sell reasonably. Give me a call.

Wayne Felch
503 775 1114

Our own experience show that some chains preformed better than others, we finally went back to RLV Gold. We tried to run our F200's right at 8800 for best results and used higher tooth gears on our clutch's on each engine and let the js make ratio for out rpms at different size tracks. We ran our F200 twins at Ben Hur in 2011 and 2012 on the 1/3 mile track and was Indiana State Champion for both years. We were also the Illinois Indoor series champion for 2011 and 2012 on a 1/8 mile track. We did have gear problems when we experimented with low tooth gears on the motor clutch's, but also at the same time we went to another brand of chain. We finally went back to higher gears and RLV chain and problems went away and went back to winning. Our experience told us to let the JS do the work as its designed for that.

Back