Gate fee crazy

Wow what a difference from daytona 35 dollars for 4 days and 30 dollars for one day it's going to be hard for family and friends to come watch. And even harder to get new people to come and watch the races and get new racers and kids involed in the sport with crazy gate fees. We need to try and keep the cost down at the gate to get newbies to keep this great sport growing just my thoughts 150 newbies @ 15.00 vs 30 or 40 newbies @ 30.00 the bigger the attendance at the gate the more our sport will grow

Easy answer to the high fees is - just don`t go to the places that charge those amounts! Pick and choose the lower gate fees that still have good events. If no one goes to the higher gate fee events the prices will come down. People always complain on the price costs but still go to the events. That`s how events keep charging more and more like they do.

You can't get rid of track rental fees that costs thousands (potentially tens of thousands) of dollars in road racing. Daytona is Daytona there is no substitute for the experience.

I think the last I heard was that Mid-Ohio charged $15,000. to rent the track for a day for the WKA Road Race series. I can't imagine what Road America or Daytona charges.

Its gets ridiculous around here too and these aren't even huge events. $15/person gate fee plus $20-25 parking for each pit spot each day, it adds up to alot for 2-3day shows, and you usually only see 40-50 karts to a class. Its like promoters are trying to make enough off the gate and parking to pay the winning payouts or something. I prefer the local track where its free parking, $10 gate fee and 10-20 karts to a class regularly

It's called Prosperity.
You can't begin to imagine the expense to have a 2or 3 day event. Track rental, equipment, track officials, scoring and lots and lots of time plus the initial investment. You have to be bonded by an insurance company for liability for everybody entering the property and thats no gift then you have to hope the weather cooperates.

This gate fee is for the unilli big 8 race not some big road course track just for one day is costing over 400.00 before we even fire a motor off. For two racer one event each. We had family and friends coming around 20 people but the price of gate they said way to much. So they now say after 3 the gate fee is droping to 15.00 so instead of your family and friends spending the day with you come later the racer will pay out the a-- . We keep losing more racers and families i know it cost to put on these races but there is a happy medium but keep driving these prices up at the gate will kill our new blood of kids to keep our sport alive so promotors wake up quit killing our sport to fill pockets

interestingly enough I had a conversation with a track owner one time... he threw some interesting numbers at me, when I asked what it cost to insure the track... $600/ night... I thought not bad... guess karting must be in the same ball park. we talked more... taxes around 4500 a year (only get 4 month racing season at best) 375/mo... 15 man crew @60 each night (900) and the list goes on... seems like before paying drivers he had to get $2500/ just to run the place... tough to do when your pulling 50 drivers with only 1 crew man each or maybe 2... @$25 a head for the pits...and $15 a head in the stands... tough business in a tough economy. Greatfully, if we wanted to run our karts for practice, $10/ head no more then 3 karts on the track at a time and must not be racing each other.. safety crew not available..

Wow what a difference from daytona 35 dollars for 4 days and 30 dollars for one day it's going to be hard for family and friends to come watch. And even harder to get new people to come and watch the races and get new racers and kids involed in the sport with crazy gate fees. We need to try and keep the cost down at the gate to get newbies to keep this great sport growing just my thoughts 150 newbies @ 15.00 vs 30 or 40 newbies @ 30.00 the bigger the attendance at the gate the more our sport will grow
Isn't Daytona very large track with a very high over head .

Thats no different, you can use power inverter indoor, still cheaper than $75 for electric if you race it that often. I have been racing indoors since November, use the generator every time, just like everyone else there. No way id be paying $75 for electric for 2 days, thats half what my bill is for a month at home!

Only way to do it would be to buy batteries and bring em in. Cant run a generator inside there. Not sure how long they would run the tire grinder and hand grinder. The race is only once a year but it still drives me crazy.

Got most upset at Daytona for charges for practice . Paid to practice every time went to go out had moved ties up what kind of practice is that we were just paying to run track in wont happen again not going to pay to run track in is nothing like race day total waste of time and money

Yes, race promoters have costs to cover (rent, insurance, personnel, power, etc. etc.) but they've got to be smart how they get that money. Racers have too many choices about where to race, and even if to race... fans have even more choices and fewer vested interests... so promoters can't get too greedy. My experience shows that you'll make more money overall if you try to get it in small chunks than big chunks - more people will pay those small chunks.

I talked to the owner/promoter of a well-known and established car track near me. He was complaining about low attendance, and I couldn't blame him - both his pits and stands were pretty empty. But he also charges more to get through both the pit and fan gates than any other track around. One night per season he has Ladies Night - lets them in for half price. Not only almost fills his stands but also sells a lot more concessions, and gets some more cars too. He even admitted that it is usually one of his best profit nights. But he can't follow the reasoning that if he lowered his gate fees he'd probably see those bigger crowds more often.

Kart tracks usually only draw fans who know people racing there. Most kart tracks aren't even well equipped to handle the general public. If the track owner/promoter is going to limit his customers to racers and whomever they bring with them, he'd better get smart about how much his racers are willing to pay. I know several racers who have quit going to money races, let alone series races, even to watch - too expensive. Maybe it's something you ought to experience... but at those prices often once is enough.

Back