Gold Plate

52t

I'm pretty new to this karting thing. My daughter needs a really good gold plate. There are lots of motors for sale on here but what should I be looking for? Can't afford a brand new $1500 from checkered flag. Got between $400- $500
How much overbore and does it really mean anything?
Carb rating, AA, AAA?
Is any builder better than any other?
Thanks for any help.

Lots of good builders out there.
There are also lots of good deals out there to be had as well (especially on flatheads right now.)

As more guys in the deep south are committed to the clone deal, guys are slowly letting go of their house "special" flathead engines.
I've picked up several, gone through them, and resold them and made a buck over the last couple years. Sometimes what I get in are the real deal and make real good power from the builder it was advertised as...other times I've purchased engines with a sticker on the blower housing and that's the only resemblance the engine had to that builder EVER.

First, buy from a reputable seller, or the engine builder directly. (ie you want a Dover AAA carb engine, call Jerry first.)
Within the rules, there's only so much you can do, so most professional "national level" engine builders' stuff will be very close on power. Look for a "name" and consider having it freshened either with the original builder, or with someone local to you who is competent but doesn't have the "name" pricetag on his rebuilds. Don't be overly concerned with bore size for performance. Longevity, sure, but also remember that the blocks can always be sleeved for around $125 - $150.

Our used fresh flatheads sell for anywhere from $500 - $950 - much depends on how good the engine is, new parts, bore life, etc.
If there's anything that I can do to help further, please feel free to contact me directly or call the shop.

----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Celebrating 25 years of service to the karting industry
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Yea, I've also got a Capps, Keller, Moon, and SBR available as soon as I get time to go through them. The Miller listed above would make a great gold plate engine for you - an even better unrestricted engine if you're driver is getting close to moving up. It is a bit above the price level you are looking for right now though. I would be able to get you something in the $500 range, but it isn't on par with any of the ones mentioned above.

Thanks for the advice. She will be in gold for a couple of years. It's local racing but she getting killed on power. So she does need something good. any idea on shipping to 13669 so I can factor in the cost?
Thanks Again, Tom

Probably $25-$35 FedEx (depending on how close you are to a FedEx terminal and if it's a business or residential address.)

Give us a call at the shop on Monday, Tom. We'll see what we can work out for you.

Thanks,
Brian

I hate to be negative nelly, and I don't know you, but I'd really put the money into a kart that will use all the horspower you have available efficiently. I don't know what you have, but all the .2HP in the world won't help a turd of a kart that gets locked down on a skidmark.

I hate to say this stuff, but no one else seems to want to point people in the correct direction.

It's a good kart. She can corner with them. And she gives good feed back. We can get it to handle. Its an ultramax. She just gets killed coming off the corners and the straights. She's flatfooting it all the way around the track looking for more speed. the gearing is good. I'm using her old blue plate motor, turned into a gold

I hate to be negative nelly, and I don't know you, but I'd really put the money into a kart that will use all the horspower you have available efficiently. I don't know what you have, but all the .2HP in the world won't help a turd of a kart that gets locked down on a skidmark.

I hate to say this stuff, but no one else seems to want to point people in the correct direction.
This is true----- But there are good engines and then there are real good engines.
.2 tenths yea you are splitting hairs but 3/4 or more you are getting left behind.
If you are down on power handling or setup won't help.

If you are down on power handling or setup won't help

A kart that doesn't handle will act like it is 5Hp deficient. I don't know what Ultramax you have, what I've seen just going to the track in the last couple of years, I'd buy the Phase X model, and maybe even an Eccentric. I don't think I'd have the patience to make anything else they have work against whats out there now. There's really good setup guys that race 20 times a week, then there are the average Joe's, and then basically newbies. I get really tired of watching the newbies getting taken advantage of by the average joes.

My apologies if I offend anyone.

Steve

Last edited:
I figured i'd get her a good motor and go from there. I've also got a phantom I can put her in but I know she needs a good motor for sure. I'm learning you can't cheap out in this stuff. I've also learned it's a big jump from blue to gold.

I have no clue. The ultra is about 7-8 years old. And the phantom about 4-5. I raced the phantom in super heavy and it is a great kart. Always ran up front with it. I've just stopped for a bit to try to help my daughter a bit more.

ea08af3577b7379692972254072ac1d9

Does your phantom look like this? Specifically the left framerail behind the left front spindle - should only be the one bend.

If that's what you have, and your ultramax is 7-8 years old, you will find that the phenom will be a much more consistant, and easier kart to set up and run. If your ultramax was a Phase X or an eccentric - the phenom would be outclassed. If you're not racing the phenom, and you have the patience to switch it over for juniors, you will probably find most of the HP that you're missing.

ea08af3577b7379692972254072ac1d9

Does your phantom look like this? Specifically the left framerail behind the left front spindle - should only be the one bend.

Not sure what you would be looking at on the left frame rail.

Easier to Check the right frame rail, if the hoop in front of the engine runs into the mid rail and stops like in this picture, it's a phenom. If it continues past the mid rail at the waist back into the external rail, it's an icon. If it is more of a triangle area with the inner rail welded to the exterior rail at the inner rail's bend then bending back to and welded to the left rail and also the exterior rail is actually two different size pieces, it's a seraph.

Having a wiggy bar on it and being the age you think it is, I'd think it was one of the later 2.More than likely the icon. The icon is the only one that specifically needed the wiggy bar, some were successful without it. But it could be ordered with the seraph also.

"Not sure what you would be looking at on the left frame rail."

The point is to start with the phenom, then icon, then seraph, then triton. If it was a nemesis, the left framerail is completely different, which may mean the 7-8 year old ultramax may be the better kart. Those are the two options he has to choose from.

Back