Got bent over in tech

dad2boys

After a stellar performance by my young son in a flathead money race last Saturday at a local track we were quickly disqualified due to the head gasket coming apart upon removal from the engine. The tech measured the gasket in four places and the point where the gasket stuck to the head and block did not meet the min. thickness, we then explained that there is gasket material stuck to the block and head and he stated that he did not care and rules are rules. I have been in kart racing for 8 years now and have never had a head gasket checked or let alone disqualified for it, is this normal?

No. If the head gasket comes apart, you measure it where it did NOT come apart, and that is what stands.

It is ABSOLUTELY imperitive that you KNOW and have copies of the rules by which the race is run.
If the race is run on WKA rules, you should have copies of the Fhead rules, relevant to the race and class you are entered in.

Not knowing the rules is the biggest handicap I can think of in karting. It is exactly the same as not knowing company policy
where you work.
There is no doubt you got jobbed, but your inability to cite and show a WKA copy of the rule covering this situation is what left you
to the tender mercies of the tech.
Going to a money race.....and not having a rules copy?? Like a lamb to the slaughter.

Normally when you pull the head the gasket will stick to either the head or block, you should use something like a razor blade to remove the gasket
from the half that it is still stuck to so that you maintain the gasket thickness for inspection.

You only need one area to have both sides of the gasket intact to perform the measurement.

So be careful using the razor blade not to damage the side that is still stuck.

Not only should you have a rulebook, but the guy who is enforcing the rules should have a rulebook. I have never heard of an inspection person making such a blatant error. You were robbed, plain and simple. I hope you don't let it stand. If your track doesn't have a grievance procedure, I'd find another track if possible. And I damn sure would let the owner of the track know why I was leaving.

From the desk of Al Nunley
Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.
If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory. (Al Nunley)

There is a minimum thickness. Also, FYI, I used to coat both sides of the stock gaskets with oil upon assembly. Came off great.

The gasket (as removed from the engine) must meet the minimum thickness in at least one location on each side and each end ... at least 4 points. If the gasket does not meet the minimum thickness on at least one point on each side and each end it is not legal ...

WKA tech manual:

"701.9.1
Head gasket must be a minimum of 0.043" thickness at four points between head bolt holes ... front, rear, and both sides ..."

You weren't DQ'ed "due to the head gasket coming apart upon removal " ... you were DQ'ed due to the gasket failing to meet the minimum thickness requirements upon removal ... there is a difference :)

It is not unusual for the head gasket to stick upon removal .. but in most cases, depending on the design of the gasket, the gasket will still retain enough material to meet the thickness requirements and be legal.

The gasket is teched as removed from the engine and presented for inspection. When I tech an engine I never remove the head gasket ... I let the person representing the engine remove the gasket. If the gasket sticks, and there is not sufficient material left on the gasket to meet the minimum thickness requirement at one point on each side, and each end (four points), the gasket is illegal. Based on your description, and the information supplied, sounds like the proper call was made.

Yes, it is normal procedure to check the gasket thickness anytime a head is removed in tech.

First I want to thank everyone who responded to my post,I also forgot to ask another question, what is the proper tool to measure the gasket thickness? I would love to send the gasket in question to an outside inspector for a final decision but at this track once a part is deemed illegal it is kept by the track ,so at this time it is there word against mine and they have all the evidence.I have yet to find this rule in the wka rulebook or the tracks rulebook for that matter. I'm beginning to think there making up rules as they go along, once again thanks to everyone who responded!

First I want to thank everyone who responded to my post,I also forgot to ask another question, what is the proper tool to measure the gasket thickness? ...
Dial calipers ...

... I would love to send the gasket in question to an outside inspector for a final decision but at this track once a part is deemed illegal it is kept by the track ,so at this time it is there word against mine and they have all the evidence ...

Unless it was a WKA sanctioned race, at a WKA sanctioned track, I don't believe you can appeal the decision ... there is a prescribed procedure for the appeals process, which I believe has to be initiated at the time of the incident ... too late after the fact. At most tracks the decision of the tech/track official(s) is final ...

... I have yet to find this rule in the wka rulebook or the tracks rulebook for that matter. I'm beginning to think there making up rules as they go along ...

Have you looked in the current WKA Tech Manual for the section (701.9.1) I quoted in my previous post ...

WKA TECH MANUAL:
"701.9.1
Head gasket must be a minimum of 0.043" thickness at four points between head bolt holes ... front, rear, and both sides ..."

I am not disputing the rule in the rulebook, It is clearly stated, I'm questioning the the fact that if a part is deemed illegal they get to keep It.

I am not disputing the rule in the rulebook, It is clearly stated, I'm questioning the the fact that if a part is deemed illegal they get to keep It.
WKA TECH MANUAL:
"113.1 ILLEGAL COMPONENTS:
Any engine or other component found to be illegal during technical inspection may be impounded at the discretion of the Head Technical Inspector ... If the components are found to be illegal they will become the property of WKA...".

Apparently your local track has a similar rule for parts deemed illegal.

Did not know this,Don't get me wrong the final decision was made before we left the tech area , Having someone else check the gasket would only be for my piece of mind.

Interesting! If a spec (such as this) is stipulated as 'Minimum', can the competitor challenge the authenticity of a 'Dial Caliper' as Not being a precision measuring device and ask that a 'precision/calibrated' Micrometer be utilized?

correct,but from what i read it would be useless gasket was not removed properly

The poster didn't specify ... we don't know how the gasket was removed, or who removed it ... and it doesn't matter. It is the competitors responsibility to present the gasket for inspection. It's not the techmans responsibility to ensure the gasket does not stick. When I tech an engine I never remove the gasket .. I let the person representing the engine remove the gasket. If he did not remove the gasket, and allowed the techman to remove it, he is still responsible for it.

That was a bs call, the tech guy is supposed to try and find the gasket legal. If he had found a spot on each side that was legal thickness then that gasket was good.
You sir got screwed by a jerk

My thought is your not impounding any of my parts dont care if its a head gasket or a 10 cent washer if im illegal dq me if you want to ban me fine i will race somewhere else but im leaving the track with what i brought with me this sounds like stealing to me it doesnt matter what. It cost today its a head gasket next week its a set of tires before you know it the track. Has there own kart with the best parts around

Ju st to clear some things up, I was told to remove the head gasket by the inspector. The calipers used to measure the gasket were digital not dial, I don't know if that makes a differience or not. I read rule 701.9.1 and it says it must measure 0.043" at 4 points on the gasket, front ,rear and both sides so am I to assume that if you find one spot in these 4 places that measures 0.043" that the gasket is legal?

That was a bs call, the tech guy is supposed to try and find the gasket legal. If he had found a spot on each side that was legal thickness then that gasket was good.
You sir got screwed by a jerk
That may Not be so! IF...the 'tech' was limited in his knowledge (??) he may have 'thought' he was correct in replying on a pair of Calipers that were Not properly attuned! (Not un-common)

Back