Got bent over in tech

Wonder just how many folks measure their head gaskets with a precision calibrated instrument at all rulebook stated points.......before installing the gasket?

Are the techs held to a higher standard than the competitors?

I for one, oil my gasket before installation and measure it. I install the head and torque it to spec. I remove it and re-check the thickness, and re-install. Never had a problem.

I for one, oil my gasket before installation and measure it. I install the head and torque it to spec. I remove it and re-check the thickness, and re-install. Never had a problem.

That's one......:).......out of how many racers?

Seems to me that given the demand that techs all use state-of-the-art precision calibrated instruments in doing their tech duties............that engine builders be required to furnish an affidavit of accuracy and rule compliance, on all installed parts subject to post-race tech, by the use of calibrated precision instruments, upon delivery of the engine.

Professional precision accuracy is important to all karting participants subject to rules.........not just the post-race techs.

If you do not know in advance, the measurements of each tech item...........don't fuss at the tech if he finds your part illegal, with his instruments! :)

Years ago at a tech seminar in Hickory..I asked Mr.Helms about such a situation as the stock briggs gaskets tend to stick..his reply if I remember correctly was..find a place on the gasket that was measurable, and make a decision...its your job to make sure their legal..(no witch hunts).I never forgot the last part of his statement.

After many years as a IKF tech that is exactly the way I checked them. -- Chuck

Years ago at a tech seminar in Hickory..I asked Mr.Helms about such a situation as the stock briggs gaskets tend to stick..his reply if I remember correctly was..find a place on the gasket that was measurable, and make a decision...its your job to make sure their legal..(no witch hunts).I never forgot the last part of his statement.

You need to either send your Tech Person to school or find a new qualified Tech person.

Do "qualified tech persons" wear a badge? Or, have a license, or other document of authority or achievement to present upon demand?

If a track person charged with finding a "qualified tech person" is not a "qualified tech person" themselves..........how do they identify a "qualified tech person" to do the job?

Do "qualified tech persons" wear a badge? Or, have a license, or other document of authority or achievement to present upon demand?

If a track person charged with finding a "qualified tech person" is not a "qualified tech person" themselves..........how do they identify a "qualified tech person" to do the job?

..... That could certainly present a conundrum :)

Duck you raise an interesting point ....

Yes, most “qualified tech persons” do possess a license and document of achievement and certification, as issued by one of the sanctioning bodies.

However all tech personnel that possess a document of achievement, or certification, from one of those entities are not necessarily “qualified tech persons”. One must appreciate and understand the distinction between a “qualified tech person" and a “certified tech person” ... the terms are not necessarily mutually inclusive or synonymous.

Most “qualified tech persons” have achieved that status not only through "certification" in the classroom, but additionally through years of experience in the field .. usually progressing through the ranks from competitor or engine builder, into the tech field.

..... That could certainly present a conundrum :)

Duck you raise an interesting point ....

Yes, most “qualified tech persons” do possess a license and document of achievement and certification, as issued by one of the sanctioning bodies.

However all tech personnel that possess a document of achievement, or certification, from one of those entities are not necessarily “qualified tech persons”. One must appreciate and understand the distinction between a “qualified tech person" and a “certified tech person” ... the terms are not necessarily mutually inclusive or synonymous.

Most “qualified tech persons” have achieved that status not only through "certification" in the classroom, but additionally through years of experience in the field .. usually progressing through the ranks from competitor or engine builder, into the tech field.

Are there enough certified tech persons in the nation to provide such services to every kart track event ..........if all kart tracks attempted to hire a "certified tech person"?

After all, the demand seems to be..........."we want the very best tech person using state of the art measuring devices when our engines are teched".

Is there a national registry where each and every certified tech person is listed...........with contact information?

Are there enough certified tech persons in the nation to provide such services to every kart track event ..........if all kart tracks attempted to hire a "certified tech person"? ...

Duck, I don’t have statistics to give you a definitive answer ... my personal opinion, based on my experience, and my exposure to the certification process, is that there would be more than an adequate supply of “certified tech persons" to fill the positions ... and a shortage of “qualified tech persons” to fill those same positions. Again, refer to my previous post for the distinction between “certified” and “qualified”.

... After all, the demand seems to be..........."we want the very best tech person using state of the art measuring devices when our engines are teched. ..."

Yes, that does seem to be the expected standard :)

... Is there a national registry where each and every certified tech person is listed...........with contact information?

To the best of my knowledge there is no central or national registry of those with tech certification. I’m sure each sanctioning organization keeps a listing of those individuals that have been accredited and certified through their respective process ... and I’m also reasonably confident that a track owner/promoter could contact any of those sanctioning bodies for names and contact information of certified personnel in their particular area or region.

Duck, I don’t have statistics to give you a definitive answer ... my personal opinion, based on my experience, and my exposure to the certification process, is that there would be more than an adequate supply of “certified tech persons" to fill the positions ... and a shortage of “qualified tech persons” to fill those same positions. Again, refer to my previous post for the distinction between “certified” and “qualified”. ...

I agree lots of people with cards not very many qualified tech men

I have not seen lately many head gaskets that wouldn't pass tech. years ago with the grafite gaskets it happened once in a while unless you put something on the gasket so it didn't stick, I have used spray cooking oil, caster oil, mold release spray and a few others. generally most tech personel will try to find a legal spot, not illegal. A good tech man could find just about any engine out there illegal if they wanted to. I always try to find it legal if possible. At our local track everything is done by a committee, so not 1 tech is responsible for calling it illegal, seems to work well.

One problem is, when they teach you how to properly tech engines, they don't teach you how to be a fair and honest person. Dishonest and mean spirited people are everywhere you look.

One problem is, when they teach you how to properly tech engines, they don't teach you how to be a fair and honest person. Dishonest and mean spirited people are everywhere you look.
people playing favoritism games are rampant. Your post is so right on! The last person you want doing tech is a guy with a big ego. Problem is, sometimes it takes a person with a big ego to want the job!

Coat both sides of the gasket with the oil you run when you bolt the head on and it will come off with no problem. That was the first thing I was taught when I started building engines because of this problem.

First thing I heard from Mr Helms at the first seminar I went to was "do everything you can to find the man right BEFORE you call him wrong."Doesn't sound like that was the case.

First thing I heard from Mr Helms at the first seminar I went to was "do everything you can to find the man right BEFORE you call him wrong."Doesn't sound like that was the case.[/QUOTE

In that case, the tech could simply ignore the violation........or give the violator a verbal warning.

Using those options the tech could find the driver "wrong" but not subject to any penalties.

"Usually termed judgment"..........except by those that claim favoritism.

Ignore?Why are you there?The next part of Mr. Helms talk covered"if it's wrong,it's wrong and you MUST D.Q. the part in question."No verbal warning,full penalty imposed as called for by the book.

A good Tech man goes by the rulebook.
He doesn't make up things like "that part just doesn't look right".
He doesn't make new rules.
He treats the competitor like he would like to be treated.
He tries to find the part legal if he can.
He dq's the part if it does not meet the rule book specs.
He's never disrespectful to the competitor.

I would be more comfortable with my engine builder and the track tech using ratchet micrometers versus the calipers any day. Calipers are not nearly as precise, repeatable, or reliable as mics are and the mics are a lot less susceptible to operator bias and measurement uncertainty. Just my .02 worth.

Back