Have you ever had to choose?

Your at the track and you only prepped a couple sets of tires for the Saturday night races but, they have different stagger. If you can't get exact stagger, do you choose more than optimal stagger or less than optimal stagger?

Depends mostly on the track size smaller more bullring I'd choose more, bigger track I'd choose less. Unless track is real low grip then I'm going less regardless of size.

I would think you'd have to consider the length of the straight. Even then, even though I don't race oval, never did race oval dirt, I'm going to go with less stagger. My thinking; if both are wrong for the turns, less stagger is still going to be better for the straight, no matter how short it is. More stagger is not going to help you anywhere. It's wrong for any part of any straight (no matter how much there is) and bad for the corner.

I'm probably wrong . More always . When its pushing the only thing the driver can do on track is let up .

I'm probably wrong . More always . When its pushing the only thing the driver can do on track is let up .
You could be right. If less stagger automatically means push, I can agree with you. That wasn't part of the question though. I believe you're making the assumption that "just right" would be halfway in between too much and too little. And we also would have to consider the length of the straight.

You could be right. If less stagger automatically means push, I can agree with you. That wasn't part of the question though. I believe you're making the assumption that "just right" would be halfway in between too much and too little. And we also would have to consider the length of the straight.
Theres only about 2-3 tracks in the country where the straights even come into thinking for stagger, if that. CORNERSPEED makes straight speed, and if you cant get through the corners you arent making shoot speed, plain and simple.

Theres only about 2-3 tracks in the country where the straights even come into thinking for stagger, if that. CORNERSPEED makes straight speed, and if you cant get through the corners you arent making shoot speed, plain and simple.
Gary Emmick (karting legend) told me that same thing back in 1967. It didn't make sense then, it doesn't make sense now. Sorry. I call that sort of thing karting's "self evident truths"! They make so much sense, they must be true. My favorite; "torque off the corners, HP down the straights". There are lots of letters!

Al,

I believe you may have been missing the point of what Gary was telling you:

If you have two karts capable of accelerating at the same speed -- if one of the karts can get through the corner 1mph faster, that kart will have that 1mph advantage ALL the way down the straight. Measure the speed of both karts at any point on the straight (where they are both still accelerating), and the kart that exited the corner faster will still have that same advantage.

That's what SoCo Tire Treatments (and many others here) are focused on.

PM

I'm a little disappointed that you think I didn't know that. If that's what he meant, then he's right, but that's not what he said. Or maybe I read it wrong, in which case, I apologize.
What I heard him say is; "if you come off the corner faster you'll be going faster at the end of the straight." No qualifiers.

So kart #1 comes off the corner at 38 mph . Kart #2 comes off the corner at 37 mph . Both gain 2 mph on the straightaway .
Which kart is going Faster ?

I'm a little disappointed that you think I didn't know that. If that's what he meant, then he's right, but that's not what he said. Or maybe I read it wrong, in which case, I apologize.
What I heard him say is; "if you come off the corner faster you'll be going faster at the end of the straight." No qualifiers.
It is what i said in a nutshell. Nowhere did i say if you come off the corner faster you will be going faster at end of straight:
"CORNERSPEED makes straight speed, and if you cant get through the corners you arent making shoot speed, plain and simple".

Back