Here's what I'm doing what do you think?

Yes I know that Brad, thought he was using the Non-hemi head. I agree, regardless which head he uses the stock valves need to go in the bin. Not worth saving $30 to have one drop and wipe out a $500 build. Arc racing's 28mm intake and stock size 25mm in stainless are nice units and fit the stock seats fine, have those in my hemi gas build I'm finishing up. I don't think he'll have any coil bind issues with the BM cam and 26# springs on those.

Sweet guys thanks I thought they were 5.5 but could find a definite answer. I would like to up grade the valves but will be the very last thing I can and will do

Yes I know that Brad, thought he was using the Non-hemi head. I agree, regardless which head he uses the stock valves need to go in the bin. Not worth saving $30 to have one drop and wipe out a $500 build. Arc racing's 28mm intake and stock size 25mm in stainless are nice units and fit the stock seats fine, have those in my hemi gas build I'm finishing up. I don't think he'll have any coil bind issues with the BM cam and 26# springs on those.

You would see better power most likely by having the seat cut to the correct size for those valves....just because a 28mm valve will fit the stock seat does not mean it will seal up well.

So I've read two different things about the stock size of the valves for the hemi one is they are 27 and 25 and another is they are 28 and 25? I'm not sure which to follow. I was thinking lastnight that I didn't want to have a stock valve brake so I added them to the list from isky he seems to have real decent prices on stuff like that

Bigger valve is not wise without opening the port and seat.It may be more reliable but you are going the wrong way for performance.

You would see better power most likely by having the seat cut to the correct size for those valves....just because a 28mm valve will fit the stock seat does not mean it will seal up well.

I should have clarified this further, my dad has a full neway valve seat cutter set. I grind the bore out slightly bigger during porting, then cut the seats using a fairly large 60* angle. I sink the valves pretty deep and run the margin out in the outer 1/3rd. This gives you a little more valve stem to work with on the Hemi heads.
My "hemi gas build" thread has a parts list with #'s from Arc Racing. The 28mm intake, 25mm exhaust valve, 26# springs, retainers and keepers, tallied up to about $57. Pictures if you follow the photobucket link there as well.

I'm not sure if I want to get into that much work on the head I'd like to get replacement valves and maybe lap them to the head....I'm looking to get 12.5 to 1 maybe 13 to one compression the guy helping me build thinks we can get between 15 to 18 hp with this build I'm not sure...I was making 16 with my 8 hp flat head running a tily and alcohol (my 8hp was a torque monster) from the center off I was beating guys bad but they would get me at the end of the straight to the entrance of the corner it was fun to drive...I hope this hemi will give me good power all the way around the track

I'm not sure if I want to get into that much work on the head I'd like to get replacement valves and maybe lap them to the head....I'm looking to get 12.5 to 1 maybe 13 to one compression the guy helping me build thinks we can get between 15 to 18 hp with this build I'm not sure...I was making 16 with my 8 hp flat head running a tily and alcohol (my 8hp was a torque monster) from the center off I was beating guys bad but they would get me at the end of the straight to the entrance of the corner it was fun to drive...I hope this hemi will give me good power all the way around the track

Just get the stainless stock size valves from Isky, which is the 27mm intake and 25mm exhaust, and get the retainer kit also, that will suit you just fine for what your doing and give you better reliability

With all this decking and head cutting I would give some attention to rocker arm geometry and pushrods.

So I got my black mamba yesterday.....it's awesome pretty pleases with workmanship. I have a friend who cut 50 thou off the hemi head then took sandpaper to take the correct amount off the pushrods

Well, with a good touch and eye good work can be done with a sander, but without.....well you know.
We'll hope it's one of those pushrod kits where you trim the tubes to length and press the balls into the ends.

Back