Here's what I'm doing what do you think?

Well yes I've used the belt sander and a cordless to shorten many threaded rods etc etc. Chuck it up and spin it as you sand so it's even all around. Poor mans lathe lol:)

I got this email from isky about his retainers I thought with all the research that I did and some of what you guys said on this post the stock valves were 5.5? I really want to get this motor running as we start our winter season at the end of oct.

Hi Jason,
My lightweight retainers and keepers work with the 5.5mm stem stainless valves that I sell on my website. I believe the stock hemi valves are 5.0mm stem.
Thanks,
Tim

To: timisky@smallenginecams.com
Sent: Tuesday, September 22, 2015 8:12:20 AM
Subject: SMALL ENGINE CAMS - Contact Form submission

Bandzoogle smallenginecams.com →
New form submission for Contact Form
Name:
Jason Gilbertson

Email:
JJGilbert83@aol.com
Will your light weight keepers and retainers work with the stock valves on a hemi head running 26 pound springs??

You can print, export, or delete this submission in your Bandzoogle control panel.
simply reply to this email.
Get in touch: Bandzoogle Support | Blog | Facebook | Twitter

--
Tim Iskenderian
Small Engine Cams
145 W Alondra Blvd
Gardena, Ca 90248
(310)769-6880

Light weight keepers, retainers should be the very last on your list of concerns.
The 5.0 or 5.5 mm refers to the stem size. Some stems are smaller out toward the rocker arm end.
Get out your micrometer and measure. If you don't have one, stop now, you are unprepared to do this work. Send it to someone who IS.
Dropped valves are ugly.

If your talking about the stock hemi valves they are 5.5mm just like the clones, but are 27mm intake and 25mm exhaust

I am talking about the hemi...so in theory I could use isky's retainers? That's what I'm wondering...and yes I have a micrometer...thanks for the help

So in theory I can use isky's light weight keepers and retainers with the stock valves for now? I'm thinking I won't be turning anywhere near 8500 but between maybe 6800 to 7500 depending on track conditions and gearing...I watched a friend of mine run this passed weekend with a set up very close to what I'm running and the most he ran was 7000 so I think the stickers should hold up for five races this fall and winter?

$35 for good valves is cheap insurance against not having a stock valve break and ruin the engine(and the rest of your $$$ aftermarket parts). You're already buying the rest of the good parts so why not finish the job and have a reliable motor?

Back