homebuilt tire resurfacing machine

Mb248

looking to build my own resurfacing machine for tires. looking for tips and advice on size of elec. motor, belts, pulleys, rpm range, etc.

1/3 hp
1725 rpm

1.5 pulley
6 inch pulley

James Raines can sell you a kit with motor. Pulleys. Wiring. Switched. And boxes. All you would have to do is the axle part and stand. And assembly.

I like to use chain instead of belts. Easier to change speeds and parts are cheap if you use an old 1 1/4" axle. Also try to make some sort of quick connect to hold the rim on, easier then lug nuts.

i used a belt over the chain because i couldn't get a small enough sprocket for the axle side to match the 13 i had on the motor, and i figured a belt would be quieter and less maintenance myself.

I used a bent axle that i had, i cut the bent side off and used the part that was still straight

Motor cam from James with a pulley that was 1.5 diameter. I went to my local farm supply and they had a 1 1/4 hub for a weld on pulley and a 6inch pulley for that hub for around 15.00. I also got two pillow block bearings while i was there for the 1 1/4 axle as well.

A quick way to change the tire is a must if your doing very many sets as well.

I used a Harbor freight work bench drill press motor. It was getting thrown in the dumpster @ work . It's 1/4 or a 1/3 H.P., 1700rpm. Bought my stand from H.F., $30. Axle from Home Depot $9, not solid. 2 pillow block bearings of E-bay $9 each. Pulley for shaft $18 from zoro.com. I cant remember the size ( I think 7"). Pulley on the motor was from the drill press, 1 1/2". I've been told , you want your rpm's 300-400. I think the belt also came from the drill press. Make sure the belt & pulleys match up on width . I believe they are lettered. I mounted a 4' square box on mine. 20' cord coming out to plug into an outlet in the garage. I put a switch on one side of box, it turns the motor on. An outlet on the other side to plug in my belt sander. I put a handle on the front up top, & wheels on the 2 back legs (H.F.). I can pick up on the handle & wheel it thru the garage. The stand only weighs 19 lbs., but by the time your done those wheels come in handy. My guick change hub came from McMaster - Carr. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need more help. There are other threads on this topic. Just type it into the advanced search @ top right corner. Good luck !

I have a solid axle with a threaded end so I just welded a nut inside a piece of pipe, the pipe just fit inside the studs on the hub. I reduced it down a little and wrapped with tape, about 3 turns by hand and its on and off.

I have a hunk of shafting about 12" long with a rear hub on it, end of shaft has a center in it and it fits in my lathe, with tire and rim bolted on, I run lathe backwards in back gears, slow speed lets me surface real nicely with a 4" flap wheel. I just thought to also find a spring that fits over shaft and would hold rim to hub with a shaft collar to compress the spring.

I will see if I still have the receipt. I actually got the idea from somebody else on here. I started a thread back in the middle of summer asking the same. You might be able to find the info through the advanced search if I can't find my receipt. It's a little pricey, about $50 if I remember right. I kinda like mopdog's idea too. I also had something similar in mind.

Found an old thread. Type in " quick release hub". You will find the info on the McMaster - Carr version. Something else I remembered. If you are using a belt sander, you want the tire rolling away from you. Hope this helps, & good luck.

Anyone try a 5/8 axle and pillow blocks with the performance manufacturing quick release hub for tire balancer ? Might be a good way to go ..

Anyone try a 5/8 axle and pillow blocks with the performance manufacturing quick release hub for tire balancer ? Might be a good way to go ..

Wont work , the hub has bearings in it, the hub would need to be secured to the 5/8 axle otherwise it would quit spinning when you put the sander against the tire.

anyone else aware of a quick change hub other than the one listed above from McMaster Carr ?

Benji22 makes a tire re-surfacer, not sure if he would sell the quick change hub by itself.

Here is the quick change hub I made.

Attachments

• tire grinder 1.jpg
    tire grinder 1.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 800
  • tire grinder 2.jpg
    tire grinder 2.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 623
  • tire grinder 3.jpg
    tire grinder 3.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 653
Back