homebuilt tire resurfacing machine

I did get one built off ideas on this post I started. It does not have a quick release hub yet but I wound up having around 30.00 invested. We had the motor and most other things. Everyone offered some good information!

I used a Harbor freight work bench drill press motor. It was getting thrown in the dumpster @ work . It's 1/4 or a 1/3 H.P., 1700rpm. Bought my stand from H.F., $30. Axle from Home Depot $9, not solid. 2 pillow block bearings of E-bay $9 each. Pulley for shaft $18 from zoro.com. I cant remember the size ( I think 7"). Pulley on the motor was from the drill press, 1 1/2". I've been told , you want your rpm's 300-400. I think the belt also came from the drill press. Make sure the belt & pulleys match up on width . I believe they are lettered. I mounted a 4' square box on mine. 20' cord coming out to plug into an outlet in the garage. I put a switch on one side of box, it turns the motor on. An outlet on the other side to plug in my belt sander. I put a handle on the front up top, & wheels on the 2 back legs (H.F.). I can pick up on the handle & wheel it thru the garage. The stand only weighs 19 lbs., but by the time your done those wheels come in handy. My guick change hub came from McMaster - Carr. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need more help. There are other threads on this topic. Just type it into the advanced search @ top right corner. Good luck !
What did you use as an axle from Home Depot? I tried to find something at Lowes 1 1/4" but didn't find anything.?

What did you use as an axle from Home Depot? I tried to find something at Lowes 1 1/4" but didn't find anything.?
I used an old axle- in fact I had an old chassis there and cut it in half. Used its bearings and mounted an electric motor on the motor slide.

1.5 drive and 12" axle pulleys. 3450 motor - used to be a grinder. Have to give it a spin before I flip the switch, but pretty happy with it over all. I use a belt sander, I think you could turn it a little faster depending what you are sanding with. Has made a large difference in my tire program.

This is one I just built.
Using harbor freight stand, welded plate to the top, solid 1” axle. Tapped end of the axle to allow bolt to tighten hub.

Attachments

• IMG_0617.jpeg
    IMG_0617.jpeg
    102.2 KB · Views: 145
This is one I just built.
Using harbor freight stand, welded plate to the top, solid 1” axle. Tapped end of the axle to allow bolt to tighten hub.
looks like you are using a flap disk to resurface? I was going to do the same but never could find anything above 120 grit. What do you use?

looks like you are using a flap disk to resurface? I was going to do the same but never could find anything above 120 grit. What do you use?
I use flap disk to get any graining out. I then hand sand with 120 to whatever desired grit finish I want. I always use water on all sanding.

Back