hone

foreverfaster

Site Supporter
is there a good choice for a standard hone, ball or other to get for these little motors?? i'll mostly be on animal stuff, but also want to do pred or clone if it comes along... right now I'm working on my first build, Honda... its about 2-5/8 hole..
all info welcome..
thanks

You will need a rigid hone if you want to keep the bore straight, George.
If you look on ebay (craigslist, and elsewhere), you can pick up decent used hones on the cheap.
I've seen nice older Sunnen rod hones sell for under $500
You might also check out Goodson Shop Supplies (www.Goodson.com) for rigid small engine hones.
They have lots of other products you may want to invest in as well (valve guide and seat tooling, etc.)

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
28 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Brian. Tooling for the older sunnen and superior machines cost more than the machine! I have 2 sunnen and i superiors in the warehouse now 513 769-3049 ,floor models lots of shipping cost. John deis uses one as now, prolly 40 yrs old ! John hilton - hilton auctioneers in cincinnati,ohio

Lisle 16000 can go from 1.750 tp 2.750. It is about the cheapest of the rigid micrometer adjust hones. The 15000 can go from 3 to 4.5 inches but with a different stone holder it can go down to 2.75. They do take some skill to use and you need a good dial bore gauge to check constantly to see if you are keeping the bore free of any taper. They hone very round but depending on your stroke you can taper the bore so constant checking should be done. I also use a 400 grit ball hone after I get the size I want for just a few passes to smooth any sharp peaks after honing with the stones. Probably not necessary but I feel better doing it :)

Ammco small engine hone. throw away the felts and get a 4 stone set (fine). you can work it with a drill motor.

Sundog

Forgot to mention if you're going from standard bore to .010" over, you're not going to do it with a hone, you have to bore it with a milling machine. You'll also need bore gauge, a micrometer, a torque plate and a spray bottle for your kerosene.

LOL, isn't that right, John.
Can't hardly give the things away at equipment auctions anymore because of the shipping and rigging fees.
I guess it depends on if you are in the vicinity of one selling (and have some help to pick it up.)
Tooling isn't that bad...you get what you pay for, I guess.
Goodson offers stones, honing oil, etc for Sunnen stuff too.

Even with the little drill powered rigid hones and accessories (mentioned above) you could have a lot of engines bored & honed by a shop with the right equipment and experience to do the job right (the first time.) :)
But there's the love of doing it yourself and satisfaction that you did the job yourself - I get that. Karting has always been about the shadetree mechanic.

Back