How you all dealing the weather?

N.J. from many yrs. back in new jerkey, we always used a bottled gas stove for cooking because back in the late 40's and early '50's we got lots of ice storms in Sparta, N.J., so you could rely on the fact that you would have several power outages each winter, so at least with some candles and flashlights plus the gas stove for heat , you could survive. Generators were an unheard of thing back then. So yesterday we went to Origional Speedway Park track to do some testing for Daytona, plus some track festivities. Then a little after sun down the 'skeeters got so bad I thought that I was down in the keys.

Last edited:
Paul Kish,

Be careful backfeeding your house from the generator. Last hurricane we had an Entergy worker was killed because someone was doing that.

Paul Kish,

Be careful backfeeding your house from the generator. Last hurricane we had an Entergy worker was killed because someone was doing that.

Yes make sure your main to your panel is off might not hurt to double check that the meter isn't turning

They were calling for flurries here today with a chance of freezing rain tonight. Well we have about 6 inches of snow already and it's still coming down heavy.

Think you,ve been getting what's been rolling through here. We got a total of 8 1/2" first time, then about 3 1/2" on top of that. Can't forget that layer of ice underneath either. County plowed our road, put nothing down and left the layer of ice. Would'a been better if they hadn't touched it. Makes the hair on the back of your neck stand up when you drive the section that runs alongside the river, no guardrail with only 3 to 4' to the drop off into the deep.

Think you,ve been getting what's been rolling through here. We got a total of 8 1/2" first time, then about 3 1/2" on top of that. Can't forget that layer of ice underneath either. County plowed our road, put nothing down and left the layer of ice. Would'a been better if they hadn't touched it. Makes the hair on the back of your neck stand up when you drive the section that runs alongside the river, no guardrail with only 3 to 4' to the drop off into the deep.

You talking about the curve on 121 just past the quarry, Ott Road or the Dam Road where it crosses the tracks?

Y'all can sleep tight because I'm praying that we will have a nice week of weather for Daytona Kart week. Plus nice weather for the trip here and back home.

You talking about the curve on 121 just past the quarry, Ott Road or the Dam Road where it crosses the tracks?

121 is the other side of the river, it's a State Route. Dam Road isn't much more than a cow path, lol, not too many people live down that one. Train wrecked coming off that trestle a few years back. We're on Ott Road, about a mile off Laurel, not too many people live down this one either. We're exactly 1 mile down the road, 3rd. house (1st one is at the end of the road).

West fork of the Whitewater River runs through the valley here. Normally it's pretty quiet and peacefull, but when she floods look out. It's changed it's main course several times since we've lived here. Runs through our property, and we used to have a nice beach to walk on till the last flood, now it's a drop of about 8feet and the beach is on the other side. Last flood she cut in toward the road big time, we were worried it would take the road, but it stopped just short. Part of the joys of living in Gods country.

Interesting. I looked on google earth and it shows your use to be, beach. The picture shows an inlet to your beach trying to start just up stream. I can see how a flood would complete the inlet and take out your beach. Too bad you didn't see it's potential prior to the storm and put some pilings across the inlet. Maybe you could now and make the river take it's path before the flooding. It looks like the farm across the river would not loose anything from it, but you might get your beach property back. On the bright side, you probably do now have a great fishing hole, just over the bank.

paul

Or the beach on the other side would wash away too, before your side was able to accumulate deposits. And the pilings may prevent new soil deposits from up stream. Heck if that's the case you may end up with a great big fishing hole. ... :(

edit again: OR... Maybe the stream would take sand across from the pilings and deposit it on your bank. hummm... You might need a piling to aim the water back toward your beach from the other side, just below the sand. I suspect the sand across from where I'm suggesting the pilings is still there, since the change in the rivers course.

lol, expert on nothing but I got an opinion on everything !

Interesting. I looked on google earth and it shows your use to be, beach. The picture shows an inlet to your beach trying to start just up stream. I can see how a flood would complete the inlet and take out your beach. Too bad you didn't see it's potential prior to the storm and put some pilings across the inlet. Maybe you could now and make the river take it's path before the flooding. It looks like the farm across the river would not loose anything from it, but you might get your beach property back. On the bright side, you probably do now have a great fishing hole, just over the bank.

paul

Or the beach on the other side would wash away too, before your side was able to accumulate deposits. And the pilings may prevent new soil deposits from up stream. Heck if that's the case you may end up with a great big fishing hole. ... :(

edit again: OR... Maybe the stream would take sand across from the pilings and deposit it on your bank. hummm... You might need a piling to aim the water back toward your beach from the other side, just below the sand. I suspect the sand across from where I'm suggesting the pilings is still there, since the change in the rivers course.

lol, expert on nothing but I got an opinion on everything !

Interesting options, BUT while we may own the land under the river and pay taxes on it, the State ownes the river. lol.. The Indiana Department of Natural Resources (DNR) will not allow you to do anything that will effect the natural course of the river. Your not allowed to do anything to protect your land from the river. At one time we had about 3 acres between the river and the road, maybe about 1/2 acre left. The adjoining neighbor lost over 15 acres of his field to the river last flood. It goes where it wants and takes what it wants, ripping out trees and stealing your land. Next flood, it might shift back to the other side again. No telling. Awsome thing, runs so clear and clean you can see the bottom.

The Google map is before the last flood I believe. I'll have to check it out. A gulley runs between us and our next neighbor, down the hill, under the road and across the front of our property and joins the river. The last flood caused a backwash up that gulley where the turtles like to lay their eggs along the waters edge. Think the beavers are working on jambing it up for their own use. Saw my first muskrat swimming in that gulley, lol, had no idea what it was when I seen it (neighbor told me what it was). Great fishing.

lol, I think I have the river flowing in the wrong direction

Does it flow from the top of the screen down with your house on the right across the road from it? Good bottom land ain't forever.

River flows from North to South. We're on the East side of it. So that would be right. If the map showed elevations; we're on a flat area about 25 feet higher than the road. Makes for a nice slide down the driveway, when it ices up. lol

Temperature was -2 here in the valley this morning.

Weathermen, still get paid , even if their forecasts are wrong? yesterday they said a "cold snap" here, I'm looking at 77 deg. in the sun right here, right now, but then again, last spring they forecast about a dozen hurricanes for this yr, Yup, you guessed it, ZERO, thankfully. Even up norf, long time back I learned that it's always a good thing to look out side, because I thought that some forecasters never looked out theirs.

Last edited:
77 DOWN South and the snows melted; and pouring down rain UP here. You all better be watching up river, the tides coming in.

wow ! Looking at the national weather, it looks like it may keep raining hard here in north east Ohio for another 24 hours or more. Sure glad I live on high ground. You all down stream, had better be filling sand bags or moving your stuff to higher ground. The rain may not be coming your way, but the water is. You may already be in need of some prayers.

http://radar.weather.gov/Conus/full_loop.php

Back