Idle issues lo206

At what RPM is your clutch engaging, you are sitting in the kart when you start it, try blocking the back off the ground and running it with the wheels clear. Long shot.

Question for the experts:

If the fuel is causing corrosion in the bowl and/or plugging the pilot in just 10 days, then why doesn't it cause the same problems on my lawnmower, rototiller, and wood splitter? They start on the first or second pull and idle just fine. The tiller and splitter have pretty much the identical carb on them. For that matter, why don't I have problems with my car/truck running the same gas?

OP, Do you have a fuel filter inline between the fuel tank and your fuel pump? If you're not running a filter, then you will need to do some cleaning in the carb for sure - and be sure to add a fuel filter before continuing to run the engine.
No, running an engine that has fuel passages plugged will not cause it to clean itself.
The floats on every 206 I have ever checked out of the box are set extremely conservative (ie rich) on the floats - it should run without using the choke.
While it could easily be a float drop issue and/or inlet needle stuck, those are pretty simple to remedy...I would be checking the clutch bushing seizing as well.
Have you taken the time to set the idle rpm? Do you know how? Have you watched the video on YouTube or the Briggs Racing website? You said it tries to start when you push on the throttle (this opens the carb slide up to more air - and more fuel as it opens further.) It sure sounds to me like the idle simply needs set higher (ie 2200 rpm.)

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
29 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

It has sat for maybe 10 days since the last start up
Since you asked......:)
Maybe ten days? Maybe twenty days?
Maybe the can didn't have gasoline?
Honestly I agree 10 days should not cause an issue .
Your extra lucky That's all :)

May be as simple as having some water accumulate in the bottom of carb. A .011 hole does not take much to plug it. Just water will do that, let alone setting there.

I guess I haven't seen tillers or log splitters with slide carbs.

Sorry guys was busy all last night with some family stuff thanks so much for all your input. I do have the supplied briggs fuel filter that came in the kit on there. I live in Miami Florida so its usually pretty hot and humid down here. I have messed with the idle screw (not the air/fuel screw) and to no avail I still cant get the idle up... My clutch is set to engage at 3200 RPM... I used to ride motocross and our dirtbikes had very similar carbs and we would leave it for 2-3 weeks without riding never an issue with idling or anything I guess the briggs is obviously smaller so easy to clog these things. I am going to try the remedy mentioned above of spraying carb cleaner in the little jets behind the air filter first... if that doesn't work I guess I will take it apart and adjust float level and try and clean the best I can in there. Will definitely drain the fuel going forward to avoid this though...

OOPs
I forgot.
The float needle could also have got stuck in the closed position. Because of fuel evap.
This time, however, it won't start at all.
Often times all you have to do is take the float bowl off and in the process the needle will come unstuck.
You won't find anything wrong. Simply put it back together and it will work fine until the next time it sticks.
Best solution is to drain the carb and spray with WD 40 or equivalent.
What is that liquid you often find in a brand new carb?

Be careful taking the float bowl off.
On some of these carbs the float will drop so far when you take the bowl off that the needle will fall out and you could even loose it.

Well I took off the drain plug let all the gas out stuck a very thin piece of wire in the jet behind the drain plug and then removed the throttle cable and needle and stuck the same wire down that end and sprayed some carb cleaner in the jets put it all back together and it still didn’t idle. I was told and read not to mess with the air/fuel screw but at my witts end I turned it half a turn and magicallythe kart is now turning on with no choke and idling at 2k. Did the same treatment to my dads half a turn and bam 2100 idling solid

Yep that's great.
You can screw the idle mixture screw in until it lightly bottoms and count the number of turns. That way you will know where it's set and can always set it back there if you need to.
You can also turn it in or out when the engine is running to get it where you have the best idle. At the same time you can adjust the idle speed screw to get the idle speed you like. You can work back and forth between the two.
I'd suggest you do this with the wheels off the floor just to be sure it can't take off on you.

I've saw one crash into someone else's trailer.
I saw a brand new kart climb a chain link fence and destroy brand new bodywork the first nite of the season.
If you try you can put the slide in backwards, 180 degrees off, and when you start it the throttle is wide open.
We can all chuckle about it now but it has the potential to be very dangerous.

I watched a little girl get out of her kart with engine running as she did she stepped on the cable and looped it under the stub on the chassis where a torsion bar had been removed, and off it went, the following week a driver spun off the track in his rush to push the kart toward the track he slipped and landed right on top of the carb kinking the cable and off it went.

Back