Insurance Question

b40

Is there any type of personal insurance a karter should have other than your employer/personal health insurance, and what the tracks offer?

I sell insurance and to my knowledge there's not an insurance other than personal health insurance you might use. Except a bad situation like life insurance. I hope you'll use neither while racing.

Maybe you might look into insuring your trailer and the contents. I don't know about that kind of insurance though.

I do not think personal health insurance will cover a racing injury.
It may: but I doubt it, (might use) is a clue.

I think the membership insurance that comes with being an AKRA member has some benefits you might want to look into.Tim Wilkerson AKTPA is the person to talk to you can get his contact info from AKRA office.

If you have Health Insurance it covers you, Certain things might be exempt then Track policy kicks in up to the Medical limit there policy is written for Either $5000 up to $25,000

Everyone should read and understand the "track" insurance you are signing. It might not even cover you if you get hurt at the track. Have a buddy that got hurt at a track years ago and the "supplemental" insurance the track had would not pay anything until his personal insurance paid first (which he was self employed and did not have) or paid a huge deductible (want to say it was around $5k back in the late 90's). I'm just saying, don't "assume" you are covered, better read it and understand it (including WKA, AKRA, etc).

From what I understand life insurance do not cover you while racing, so what I can't understand how any other type of insurance cover's a driver while racing ?????????
Is it a rip off ???????????????????????????

From what I understand life insurance do not cover you while racing, so what I can't understand how any other type of insurance cover's a driver while racing ?????????
Is it a rip off ???????????????????????????

There are no exclusions to Life Insurance other than suicide or lying on the application during the contestability term (which is the 1st 2 years of the policy being in force). After the first 2 years of the policy being in force, ANY DEATH, no matter what the cause, would be and is covered under your Life Insurance policy.

There are also Hospital Income, or Accident Policy's that may cover you if injured at the track. Most exclude any type of racing, but you would just have to clarify that before purchasing one

Good to hear the replies so far. I'd like to hear from someone who has needed to use their insurance, and what if any hassles they've gotten from their insurance, and how well the track insurance (IKF/NKA or others) have helped.

When I was promoting races a number of years ago the insurance we used which was through KART was all secondary coverage which means your regular insurance is first in line if there is a situation.. And yes lots of insurance has exclusions which mean certain activities are not covered. You can buy insurance for anything if you wanna pay enough. And at one time the kart deal at our track was a rider on the tracks NASCAR policy which was a very good deal--good coverage. Also if you are covered by your employers insurance it is important to be aware of what kind of activity is excluded(not covered). John

there is a insurance you can get... especially when you have none at work. you pay so much a month, it covers what you want or what you can afford. it will cover all types of things... example if I hurt myself at home and can not work, it kicks in... also you can have benefits included in that also...
you might have to pay a higher premium because you are racing... but no different than playing baseball and trip and break your ankle...

There are several 4 Cycle sponsors that are able to assist the promoters/tracks operators...
and IMO that helps out the karters too. There may be others out there too...
http://www.aktpa.com/
http://www.nkaonline.com/
http://americankarting.us/insurance-program.html

Driver/Pit insurance was running about $3.00 a day/event per person at the track.

As for personal/company medical insurance... Hmm..
In the "past" I was told (they/some); (could/would or may) decline medical coverage... if they knew you were racing competitively.
Suggestion was... If you have to give any details, just to say injured riding around on a go-kart..
Always Delete any ref. to those key words like: .. "Race" or "Racing"..
They never asked me anything so, I didn't have to say anything...

All insurance company pays before you sign up, as soon as you sign up and something happen then is when you see who or what is covered ...................
as B40 said let hear from some that had the uses of it ...............................................

call the insurance company and ask them.
Beware rates may go up and or you may need to find a new insurance company.
called auto insurance corporate number to make change 1 time. they had more question then a police detective. Last time I did that.

There are no exclusions to Life Insurance other than suicide or lying on the application during the contestability term (which is the 1st 2 years of the policy being in force). After the first 2 years of the policy being in force, ANY DEATH, no matter what the cause, would be and is covered under your Life Insurance policy.
When I bought mine, one of the questions on the application was did I participate in any form of racing or flying as a hobby. I checked yes, and before they would underwrite the the policy they sent someone out to interview me about how fast we raced, how many races a year, what types of tracks do we race on, they wanted to know if it was "organized" racing and what type of safety rules we followed.

When I bought mine, one of the questions on the application was did I participate in any form of racing or flying as a hobby. I checked yes, and before they would underwrite the the policy they sent someone out to interview me about how fast we raced, how many races a year, what types of tracks do we race on, they wanted to know if it was "organized" racing and what type of safety rules we followed.

All this is the easy part, it's when something happenand and we file a claim then come's the part we are looking for ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Then we'll know how "Organized" or not they are ........

All this is the easy part, it's when something happenand and we file a claim then come's the part we are looking for ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Then we'll know how "Organized" or not they are ........
Ain't that the truth . The insurance company's main objective is to take your money and minimize or eliminate the return.

As for personal/company medical insurance... Hmm..
In the "past" I was told (they/some); (could/would or may) decline medical coverage... if they knew you were racing competitively.
Suggestion was... If you have to give any details, just to say injured riding around on a go-kart..
Always Delete any ref. to those key words like: .. "Race" or "Racing"..
They never asked me anything so, I didn't have to say anything...

Good point Ardvark, the less they know the better. I'd like to call my insurance company but I don't want my insurance rates to go up just because I'm asking about coverage.

Good point Ardvark, the less they know the better. I'd like to call my insurance company but I don't want my insurance rates to go up just because I'm asking about coverage.
Try your best not to call them the only time you make that call, make sure it's a huge claim and start looking for another insurance company.........................Been there done that ...........................

Back