its a darn shame!

roadboy3

Use to when bobs came out I could get on here and find a good local race to go to and not break the bank doing it..and it would b packed with friends and racers..now its hard to find something under 100 miles and something that doesnt require you to morgage the house or accept off tge wall policies..different rules..and a lawyer to decifer all the small print and demands for you to b able to race...wth has happened to our fun sat night karting sport??

Keep in mind that for the most part, we were all running the same engine package back then.

Today's tire game is killing participation as well. Tire rules aren't exactly helping the problem.

Folks don't have the disposable income they had back then to afford all the stuff it takes to be competitive even at the local level any more..
Thanks,
Brian Carlson

That's why I like our local track that just opened. There are no rules. It's run RWYB and you are grouped based on lap times. The only issues we have are sandbagging, but it's pretty much all the same guys that come out week after week so that sorts itself out pretty quickly. If you don't have the money to compete at the top, no problem, just run with the slower guys. We race for a little trophy and that's it. For us, it is all about the fun of racing and competing and getting together to just hang out.

Yes I do dirtracer..shut it down pretty much other than a race or two to get back racing other places..but finding out aint like it use to be..looks lije I need to reopen this thing again.lol..

Im in Ellaville Ga .mikelavite..

we race at the melon in cordele, georgia....3/8 mile paved track....fast and fun...getting ready to go over the rules for next season with the mind to slow the karts down some....the speeds were getting rediculous fast and potentially harmful....but we get things done and we're consistent in the calls made. we have an open clutch and open tire rule on every class. seems that old as well as new tires can win on any given night. i disagree with a RWYB class not just solely on the cost factor....at my home track, a RWYB class would every easily eclipse safe speeds of over 90mph....we had one modified that was within one second of a outlaw latemodel time....that's jsut too fast to be comfortable with....and several of the racers are worried about the speeds so we are looking into slowing things down and getting back to having fun!!

Keep in mind that for the most part, we were all running the same engine package back then.

Today's tire game is killing participation as well. Tire rules aren't exactly helping the problem.

Folks don't have the disposable income they had back then to afford all the stuff it takes to be competitive even at the local level any more..
Thanks,
Brian Carlson

BINGO.... We have a winner... To many engine combo's is the number one killer...

Back in the day it was flathead or animal.
now its flathead,animal and clone .
with the clone having all the variations .
Otherwise it was wka or ikf.
still only 3 engines vs 2.

we race at the melon in cordele, georgia....3/8 mile paved track....fast and fun...getting ready to go over the rules for next season with the mind to slow the karts down some....the speeds were getting rediculous fast and potentially harmful....but we get things done and we're consistent in the calls made. we have an open clutch and open tire rule on every class. seems that old as well as new tires can win on any given night. i disagree with a RWYB class not just solely on the cost factor....at my home track, a RWYB class would every easily eclipse safe speeds of over 90mph....we had one modified that was within one second of a outlaw latemodel time....that's jsut too fast to be comfortable with....and several of the racers are worried about the speeds so we are looking into slowing things down and getting back to having fun!!

At our track "right now" speed is not a huge issue. None of these guys want to spend the money trying to go that fast. Not to mention our track is like 1/12 mile, so it's pretty small and banked. But I see your point there

I think the big money shows is what has hurt the sport more than anything else and turned it into what it is today, along with tire rules and engine rules. Engine packages are constantly being offered and rules changing for them, to the point that there are now too many. You have Clone, Flathead, Animal, Predator, L0206, RWYB, Open, Limited, Box stock, Pro stock, Senior stock, Spec tire box stock, just way too many variations, classes and engine packages and big shows have to start at 9am and end at 2-3am just to run all of the classes then tech them, its a headache. Tire rules hurt kart counts as well, what is the point in having a tire rule at a local racetrack that runs Friday or Saturday nights and only gets 50 or less karts every night, with most nights bringing only 20 or less karts? Its pointless and just costs more money that way. Alot dont realize that this sport is mostly made up of budget racers and families who go racing together, but alot of the races seem to be more geared towards the big money teams, paying $5000, $10,000, even $50,000 to win instead of paying say $2000 to win and pay back more spots thru the field so everybody has a chance to leave with something rather than just the top 3 or top 5 racers.

Sure would be nice to see more races geared towards the local racers who support these tracks week in and week out, like if that track has a money show paying $2000 to win, only racers who have raced there a number of times that year be eligible to enter, or racers who normally run for points at that track be eligible. The way it is now, local tracks will put up some money to show appreciation to their local racers who are there every week, and these big teams with trailers full of tires and karts show up and dominate the classes, with the top 3 in every class being guys who never even race there!

To be the best you must race the best,Tire rules hurt nothing and have saved thousands of dollars to racers,The key is pick your races,dont think for a minute someone that has just started can run up front with the veterans,it happens but not offten,Race within your means you might say,it will come as you get more experiance

I think I visited the track BryanA is talking about this summer. It was different from what I've been used to, but the family atmosphere was refreshing to say the least. The night I went they even had a Power Wheels race for the small kids. The track crew keeps the surface pretty heavy so new tires really won't be an advantage, and the size of the track makes folks drive. I enjoyed my visit to Hartsmill Highbanks.

"Tire rules hurt nothing and have saved thousands of dollars to racers" have to disagree when you see trailers with one wall dedicated to nothing but tires. While having like two sets is good for racing and easy on the checkbook for some, others spend literally thousands on tires. you figure if each tire costs an average of $44, and you have a wall of tires.....the costs skyrocket very easily. new sets for this track, new sets for qualifying, new sets for heat races.....don't like that set, buy another! soon you have more tires than you can ever race with and they sit on racks on the wall until they rot or you decide to sell one or two at twice what you paid for them, claiming the inside/outside prep will make you win every race you enter......but, if your realistic.....you'd ask yourself, if they were that special, why aren't you using them? because you didn't like them and bought another set.....nope, don't buy into the hype that tire rules save money.....

to be the best, you have to compete with the best and have all aspects of your game right....at any one time, even the best can be beat with a barn built engine, year old tires and a driver who can read the track.....tires don't win....drivers understanding how to get the most out of thier equipment win...

Tires + Engine + Set-up = Wins and Top Finishes.....

Man does not live by bread alone....ever heard of that? basically it means the same thing as the equation....leave one thing out and your a back marker or sitting in the pits watching everyone else race.....

but you are right....you have to pick your races....but traveling 100 miles, towing a trailer for a change to win $100? when you spend $300 to get there and enter? nope...rather race at home within my means than try to impress someone that i'm racing with the "best".....you want the best? come race with us one time....and every track can say that honestly....you wnat the best that racing can offer? go to any track and ask them who the best is....

I think I visited the track BryanA is talking about this summer. It was different from what I've been used to, but the family atmosphere was refreshing to say the least. The night I went they even had a Power Wheels race for the small kids. The track crew keeps the surface pretty heavy so new tires really won't be an advantage, and the size of the track makes folks drive. I enjoyed my visit to Hartsmill Highbanks.

Yes, it's a great family atmosphere in this area. And you are correct...it is a driver's track for sure.

It's called evolution. Things change. Everything has a marketable value to it now. Follow along or stay home. If "it's too expensive" is always something that is in the back of your mind, maybe it's time to you learn to race within your budget and means. There is a place for everyone, but not everyone can go all places.

I
Sure would be nice to see more races geared towards the local racers who support these tracks week in and week out, like if that track has a money show paying $2000 to win, only racers who have raced there a number of times that year be eligible to enter, or racers who normally run for points at that track be eligible. The way it is now, local tracks will put up some money to show appreciation to their local racers who are there every week, and these big teams with trailers full of tires and karts show up and dominate the classes, with the top 3 in every class being guys who never even race there!

I suggested that exact thing at one of our board meeting a few years back. With the comments made, you would have thought I asked for everyone's first born child.

Back