Kart is loose. Which adjustent ?

3forDale

Chassis make is unknown. Its an old pill style kart. Looks similar to a banshee but not not sure.

Raced it at foothills saturday and the kart was very loose on entry and wanted to push on exit. Was still fast but could have been better.

Run what ya brung class 375# rule.
Scaled on bathroom scales it was
376#
44% nose
61% left
59% cross
1 1/2 front stagger
3/4 rear stagger
Yellow vegas 5psi lf 5.5psi lr 6psi right side punching 35-40

Without knowing anything about foot hills, from what you report I'm going to guess it's a high banked track rather then a flatter track. My guess is your entering the corner too low, get loose and my rule number 1 says you can't accelerate and turn coming off the corner, while traveling up the bank, without pushing. From all that guessing I'm going to say enter a little higher, slow down a little more on entry and you'll be able to drive out of the turn straighter without pushing.

... all just a guess.

Yes it is a very fast high banked soft red clay track. This was the first time this kart had led weight on it. All previous races were ran with no weights.

A few quick questions,
Will more nose weight make it loose?

Will less left side weight make it tighter ?

Will more cross tighten the kart ?

Moving the LR tire in to loosen up the kart ?

(By tight i mean make the kart not want to turn/push)

If your problem is not just driving it in to hard( or to low ) since it appears to be an older chassis lower left and cross and add some rear stagger, If that cures the loose in and ya still have the slight push off might need to add some nose but not much.

Good Luck !!

Yes it is a very fast high banked soft red clay track. This was the first time this kart had led weight on it. All previous races were ran with no weights.

A few quick questions,
Will more nose weight make it loose?

Will less left side weight make it tighter ?

Will more cross tighten the kart ?

Moving the LR tire in to loosen up the kart ?

(By tight i mean make the kart not want to turn/push)

Some are gonna give different answers because to some tighter or looser mean different things, plus some of the adjustments can go both ways in certain cases but I'll give ya what I see most times.

More nose will tighten front loosen rear ( especially going in the turn )

Less left will put more grip on the right side tires.

Usually if a kart has a push you need to lower cross to help ( not always )

Moving LR in will hinder rotation from middle off if the push is because LT R is already doing to much. ( moving left rear is not recommended set it and let it, and it can go both ways ).

Good Luck !!

Thanks guys!

Since my washers are maxed out on the right front, can i add a lr weight jacker to get more cross or should i try to adjust the washers on the left front ?

And dose anybody know where i can buy new pills ? They are the smaller oval pills.

Should never max one side or the other out with washers
Spindles in the center of adjustment with washers, if you need more cross move washers from the top of the RF spindle and put them on the bottom, if you move 3 and dont have the cross you need move washers on the LF spindle from bottom to the top, adjust each side equally
To reduce cross move washers from the bottom to the top on the RF, and from the top to the bottom on the LF.
Look on ultramax's site or phantom's for pill sets, also may wanna search fleabay

1st...make sure youre not breakeing it loose on entry with the brakes! Then - Try moving the Left rear in towards the center of the kart approx 1/4" - for me , this has tightened the kart up on entry . it's a quick adjustment that should create some change on entry- I guess I'm different than promoter because the LR is my "go to" . Then, perhaps, swap the RF and RR tire to give you more rear stagger to drive the kart out of the corner under throttle to help eliminate the push on exit. TAke a look at "No Goats" handling charts- I printed them and taped them up in my trailer, big help to me!

Your left side weight is pretty high for that yr chassis. I would say that is probably the reason for the push in, and I would try more like 1" rear stagger to help with getting off the corner.

I agree with the high left, and might need more rear stagger.

I agree for that older style of chassis 54-56% LS at most, also drop the cross to about 56%
Just watched a vid from there, 1 inch for sure on rear stagger, you make a stagger change on the rear it will lower cross as well

Where is your kart loose? Is it loose on turn in or is it getting loose after apex? Two very different problems and solutions.

You wrote:
"Since my washers are maxed out on the right front,"

Instantly, my thoughts said to me, ... your chassis bent.

You wrote:
"Since my washers are maxed out on the right front,"

Instantly, my thoughts said to me, ... your chassis bent.

He's at 59 % Paul and that's only the one side not moving anything on the left, remember it's and older chassis I would think that sounds close.

Chassis isnt bent.

Kart was loose at turn in. Id turn the wheel to the left to start the turn and immediatley the kart breaks slightly sideways. It wasnt extreme but i could have been faster ifi could get the kart into the turn without scrubbing my speed and bogging engine down coming off.

It was good in the center of the turn once the kart sat down and starting coming off the corner. Had a slight push on exit at the beginning of the race but once the tires came in it drove great from the center off. Its just loose on entry.

Chassis make is unknown. Its an old pill style kart. Looks similar to a banshee but not not sure.

Raced it at foothills saturday and the kart was very loose on entry and wanted to push on exit. Was still fast but could have been better.

Run what ya brung class 375# rule.
Scaled on bathroom scales it was
376#
44% nose
61% left
59% cross
1 1/2 front stagger
3/4 rear stagger
Yellow vegas 5psi lf 5.5psi lr 6psi right side punching 35-40

I don't agree that left is just a little high, I'm more with Jamie it's good bit high " SO " I would change to

44.5 % nose
55 % left
56 % cross

1 1/2 " front Stagger
1 " rear stagger

You have not mentioned Cambers ( which makes me wonder if your Rt Fr is not to flat causing some of that loose in ) but I would start with

2.5 to 2.7 Rt Fr neg camber and .5 Lt Fr Pos camber
make sure the seat is mounted properly
Sounds like you got a good handle on tires but with those numbers you might be able to run slightly higher PSI

I would be very surprised if this does not cure your problem and not show up with better lap times, JM 2 cents

Good Luck !!

Castor and camber is unknown at this time. We do not have a gauge for that yet. I can tell you that the lf looks pretty much flat and the rf is up slightly. ( outside of rim is angled up ) castor i have no idea .

The pills in the kart now have no marks on them to tell me what degree they are.

I will try those numbers and let you guys know how it does.

Castor and camber is unknown at this time. We do not have a gauge for that yet. I can tell you that the lf looks pretty much flat and the rf is up slightly. ( outside of rim is angled up ) castor i have no idea .

The pills in the kart now have no marks on them to tell me what degree they are.

I will try those numbers and let you guys know how it does.

I'll probably get bashed saying this but there are angle finder apps for smart phones that are pretty accurate when calibrated. Even if your pills were marked, there is no guarantee that you would have that number at the wheel. Good Luck and take care.

Back