Kart pulls to the left

bullerman

2014 Prowler. On pace laps the kart pulls to the left a lot. At speed I don't notice it but it seems like it would be scrubbing off speed. Front end is lined up with about 1/16 toe out on the right front. 1 1/2 front stagger, 1 rear stagger. Caster is per Prowler. Not sure exactly what camber is. I believe it is close to 2.5 r8ght front and .50 left front.
It did this on a banked track and I thought it was the bank if the track but we ran a flat track today and it did it. It is scaled to Prowlers numbers pretty close now. Wondering what I should look at. I mean if I let going of the steering wheel it would make a dead left.

2014 Prowler. On pace laps the kart pulls to the left a lot. At speed I don't notice it but it seems like it would be scrubbing off speed. Front end is lined up with about 1/16 toe out on the right front. 1 1/2 front stagger, 1 rear stagger. Caster is per Prowler. Not sure exactly what camber is. I believe it is close to 2.5 r8ght front and .50 left front.
It did this on a banked track and I thought it was the bank if the track but we ran a flat track today and it did it. It is scaled to Prowlers numbers pretty close now. Wondering what I should look at. I mean if I let going of the steering wheel it would make a dead left.
You say once your up to speed you don't notice it , You are racing an Oval ? at Max speed does it pretty much drive itself ?

Yes running om a dirt oval. Around 90' radius turns and track is flat. At max speed I am sure it pulls to the left but I don't know if I would say it drives itself.
The castor split is whatever Prowler recommends. I have never changed it. I think it's four degrees but I would have to look at it.
I think the stagger is good.
Would i increase or decrease the split to make it turn less.
Chip, I know it should pull to the left but I don't think it should be this much. I haven't drove anyone else's kart to compare it.

Caster itself does not make the kart go left, it makes steering effort less when turning left vs right. That may be controversial to some. To me, what is more important is how well it races.

(The castor split is whatever Prowler recommends. I have never changed it. I think it's four degrees but I would have to look at it.)...
Reduce it down to 2*.

Yes running om a dirt oval. Around 90' radius turns and track is flat. At max speed I am sure it pulls to the left but I don't know if I would say it drives itself.
The castor split is whatever Prowler recommends. I have never changed it. I think it's four degrees but I would have to look at it.
I think the stagger is good.
Would i increase or decrease the split to make it turn less.
Chip, I know it should pull to the left but I don't think it should be this much. I haven't drove anyone else's kart to compare it.
Are you still on treads?

Harder to keep stagger from pushing nose to the left.

See other threads about stagger and rear axle.

Not related to the subject, but never depend on frame markings to set caster. I had a kart that I picked up used, nobody could get to run decent, even let others use it to try and get it figured out. Eventually I figured out that the caster frame markings were seriously messed up and the problems were solved.

Caster itself does not make the kart go left, it makes steering effort less when turning left vs right. That may be controversial to some. To me, what is more important is how well it races.
I would Agree BUT Disagree , just Higher and lower caster numbers is difference in feel of steering only, HOWEVER the more split the more the kart will naturally pull towards the lower number, which in this case is Left . But for Left turn only racing that's what ya want.

To OP confirm if your on Slicks or Treads before we go any further please .

Sorry. I am on slicks. Our Box Stock class with treads didn't run this year so I had to switch to stock heavy Predator.
Wasn't there something years ago you could put the kart on the floor and push it to test how much it turns left. If so how much would it turn

Your question has been answered by many. The main culprit being front caster. Many other things amplify it tho including but not limited to: front stagger, caster split, cross, nose weight, etc

years ago before scaling was done like today we had a starting line one ft wider than the kart taped on the garage floor , with another 6 ft long line taped 90 * off of that starting line of Tape , we would set the kart down on the floor as raced lining the left side up over the tape line, then with steering lock being Locked and NO driver in the kart we would give it a shove with our foot with just enough force to travel like 12 feet , we would then measure the drift left , actually we only measured it a few times , then we just placed a quarter inch wide strip of tape at the ten ft mark and if the left sides hit that tape good enough we loaded it up and went racing , this was before adjustable front end camber adjustments with using heim ends , If the kart missed it's mark we took front wheels off placed a 4 ft piece of pipe over whichever spindle stem side of the kart we wished to tweak camber by apply some mussel bending it slightly until we achieved what we were looking for , I can't remember 100 % what the drift left distance at 10 ft was , but it wasn't that much less than 1 inch . we knew another guy that did it a little different he had a short driveway from his garage door entrance to the road at a slight down hill grade , one night after his kart was extremely fast when he got home he unloaded the kart set the rear bumper in alignment with the joint between his concrete garage floor and the blacktop driveway , locked his steering lock, he crawled in the kart gave it a push marked the drift left with tape , then every week he just kept it there and won a lot of races or always up front . At the time we were racing a smaller bullring banked track less than a 1/8 th mile but bigger than a 10 th mile .
Bottom line a properly set up kart for LTO racing will pull left , you just need to figure out how much , which was easy with a real good smooth on the wheel driver behind the wheel that could always hit his mark in the turns , because he'd lock in and it looked like the driver was asleep hands never moved as long as he didn't miss his marks , KART DROVE ITSELF yes he had slight pressure on wheel to the right but not noticeable in his hand movement , and slight steady pressure . So If I'm you I grade myself in driving ability hitting my marks against my competitors , kart is somewhat driving itself , I then grade myself against my competition and my finishing position is always good based on handling alone , and I'm satisfied with my avg finishing positions. I then leave the set up alone, if I'm not satisfied with either I change it.

Hope this helps Good Luck !!

As J-remy has stated, its completely normal. But you said you are set to what prowler recommends, are you going off the lines on the l-block or are you checking with a gauge? Chassis rake or lack of can amplify or reduce actual caster number

Have you replaced spindles and or king pins recently? Did you make an adjustment at the track last time you ran it and forgot with your washers?

Scaled kart yesterday. Caster block is in the rear position. Factory castor setting. Squared up left side. Set right side 1/16 toe out as close as I can with these toe plates. Set camber at .50 and 2.75. 1 1/2 front and 1 1/4 rear stagger.
I have to add at least 35lbs to make weight. I have 20lbs on the left side of the seat. 5 lbs on the nose and 12lbs on the rear of the seat. Nothing on the right side. As of now the numbers are
59.1 left
46.1 nose
65.5 cross
The seat is centered and 9" off the axle.
I did sit the kart on the driveway after scaling it. With the steering locked i gave it a shove. You can visually see it move left. I didn't measure how much it was.
I was going to move the caster block on the right front forward. I took the allen head bolt out of the rear position. When I put it in the front position When I tightened it it I twisted it off. I ended up putting a new bolt in the rear position so that's where it's at.
What does moving it to the front position do?
I may give it try this weekend. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Back