Kart Shipping

umaxk99

I need to ship a kart from Florida panhandle to Missouri. Can anyone recommend the best and cheapest method. Thanks

umazk99:
I have seen this question asked before on this site and based on that, I predict a wide variety of responses of which one is certain to be Fastenal's intercompany shipping system which I have personally used before on some large items. They require you to build a pallet as I recall.

My purpose in responding is not to give you the name of a shipper. Rather, I simply ask you to consider going to a kart shop or some small business that will ship enough to have a shipping account with some LTL carrier and if at all possible, have extra kart boxes handy or be able to build you a box. Shipping a chassis, unless you are set up for it, can be quite a bit more involved than one might think. Paying a shop a few bucks to mess with this might be worthwhile.

Lastly, if memory serves me correctly, the range of cost that past posts indicated was anywhere from $100 to $150 (prior to Covid). I have a friend who works for company with a shipping account and I think he said he could ship chassis for around $85 (all figures were prior to Covid which seems to be driving the cost up on everything). My recent experience shipping smaller, but heavier items is that $1.00 per pound will be tough to beat.

Good luck!
CMac

Fastenal told me and a few others a month ago they no longer will ship karts. Not sure why
I was told 2 years ago by my local Fastenal that they would no longer ship karts as well. Then I was told to not list it as a go kart, but list it as motorsports parts, etc. when filling out the form online. I tried that about 3 weeks ago and the shipment was denied. I asked why and was never given a straight answer.

I had one shipped by Fastenal two months ago from Roswell, NM to Alabama. Listed it as go kart/machine parts. No problems.

This is coming from someone in the LTL industry as a driver. For the love of everything you want shipped, make sure you build a solid crate around whatever object you will be shipping. By solid I mean, you need to be able to do jumping jacks on any surface. If it goes LTL, which it will as a single pallet, it will see multiple docks before getting to its destination in Missouri. In the ball park of likely 10-15. In the process it will also be handled by 25-30 fork lift operators who are trying to get this trailer loaded/unloaded so they can head home sooner.

I personally drive for XPO Logistics and have seen many a motorsport crate or object come through our docks in Kansas City. You might try them and see what they would quote you. They will also pick it up from your house. Have no idea on price though. If you ask about "G" shipment it will likely get there faster, but you will also pay for that service.

K, guys I have a shipping nightmare that I have found a solution for.. It may not fit your situation but It solved my problem.
I live in Honolulu but race in Phoenix and Tucson AZ areas. Although I do not race that often it is still a hassle to fix everything that broke and also jerry rig new ideas trying to get more speed As i fly in 2 days before a race and leave the next morning. So one time each year I ship my stuff to Hawaii next day air in a crate. These crates can be found at Uline and other vendors. I found my most recent crate on eBay. The seller has several of these. $20/crate plus shipping, so I purchased 2 for future use. 48’X82”X26 basically. I drop the steering wheel down and undo my sides and wings. This trip it was just the kart, spare nerf bars/bumper, side panels, helmet, long are scales, a re-Chromed number for my 914 And other various parts and tools. No motor on this trip, but air freight will ship with a certified ticket from a mechanic verifying oil is drained. My total weight this trip was 510 pounds including the crate. Total cost was I believe $410. Yes expensive but it serves my purpose and it is also next day air on a 3000 mile trip. I have to drop off at airport and pick up at airport. No door to door.
With all said and done it just takes research and I sure there has got to be comparable much cheaper safe shipping by rail or truck in the lower 48 states. Ask different shipping/rail/freight if they have what is known as a “known shipper”. That it what it is called in the airline industry for air cargo. I list it as “generic metal frame/engine/tools. I never had had a problem.
Any questions please feel free to ask.....

Attachments

• 3FD5CF8A-CEB8-4122-8492-528E7FC86A19.jpeg
    3FD5CF8A-CEB8-4122-8492-528E7FC86A19.jpeg
    101.4 KB · Views: 75
  • B434D60A-D4C2-4D64-A959-EDD99DB29711.jpeg
    B434D60A-D4C2-4D64-A959-EDD99DB29711.jpeg
    104.2 KB · Views: 73
  • FA2D8AC9-83D9-4F5D-AA96-64C42D9E4305.jpeg
    FA2D8AC9-83D9-4F5D-AA96-64C42D9E4305.jpeg
    95.7 KB · Views: 73
Thanks for all the replies. I was able to ship with fastenal. When i did the shipping request i described it as a metal frame with fiberglass surround l and made the dimensions fall into their criteria and got approval. Went from florida to missouri and took about a week.

Thanks for all the replies. I was able to ship with fastenal. When i did the shipping request i described it as a metal frame with fiberglass surround l and made the dimensions fall into their criteria and got approval. Went from florida to missouri and took about a week.
How was it packaged ?
In a box , shrink wrapped or crate ?

How was it packaged ?
In a box , shrink wrapped or crate ?
I put it on a pallet. I removed the front and rear bumper and attached everything to the pallet with big zipties. I took the body apart and made everything small as possible then wrapped it with shipping plastic wrap

I put it on a pallet. I removed the front and rear bumper and attached everything to the pallet with big zipties. I took the body apart and made everything small as possible then wrapped it with shipping plastic wrap
Do you have any pictures of how you strapped it/wrapped it. Getting an issue from fastenal now.

Do you have any pictures of how you strapped it/wrapped it. Getting an issue from fastenal now.
What don't they like ?
It needs to be pakaged well . So it looks like it would make the trip undamaged .

Back