Kt100 egt

Al will chime in on this one. But there really isn't a set number. I believe if I explain this right as long as the temp climbs on the straights and doesn't go down wide open. If the temp starts dropping going down the straight then detonation is occurring. I have been as high as 1223 on my Yamaha with a pipe.

Frankie

Also, the EGT value varies depending on where you have it in the header, so follow the "trend" not the number... I've heard of values as high as the 14xx's in rare instances, but as long as it's continuing to climb and not hitting "the dip", as Frankie says, you're ok. I'm a fan of tuning by ear too, and when it's dead nuts on there's a certain "crispness" to the sound that is hard to explain, but it's there.

Biggest part of using EGT is at peak torque or during clutch engagement. If you can learn how to watch EGT at the point where your clutch engages, you're in the hunt. That small portion of time will make a huge difference to your overall lap times. So much so, I've taught my son to understand the EGT values at clutch engagement. If EGT is dropping during clutch engagement, you're too lean on the low speed.

What Ted is refering to is a "ring" or that is what it always sounded like to me. When you hear it, you know your right!!

What Ted is refering to is a "ring" or that is what it always sounded like to me. When you hear it, you know your right!!

Ricks got it. When you get it tuned just right the fins make an unmistakeable ringing noise.
Very basic explanation
egt climbing, cht climbing, good
egt falling, cht climbing, lean
egt climbing, cht falling, rich
And yes, make sure egt is rising as you go through clutch lock up. Easy to burn a hole in the piston if too lean there.

Back