largest/most powerful engine with 212cc or less?

Hobby87

Looking at building a "limited mod" kart to run at Tulare in CA. The only engine rule is " max 212cc engine, must maintain stock stroke". I see a mix of billet block OHV motors, 125 2 strokes, open KT's. Just curious, if money wasn't an option, what would be killer build that's legal? track is 1/8-1/10 with weight at 400lbs.

What fuels are allowed? You could maybe “under bore” a 250.

With such a tight track though chassis is probably going to be more important than engine. Maybe pick a light engine and send it down the road?

On that short of a track - it’s all about getting torque and using it.

My thoughts - Two cycle of some sort. And don’t over do it. We’ve run 131’s on short tracks and have blown the tires away - fully knowing that we had way more HP than any one else there.

Look at a good Reed or PP with a jackshaft and low end / grunt pipe - make sure your kart can handle the torque without spinning the tires and you’ll be fine 😎

I ran a stock configuration 125 sudam with a single alky carb on it for a season, all on small tight tracks, just about the most hp I could effectively drive, think it was around 40hp with a Buller kb06 pipe, could burn the tires off it, but if your able to ease into the throttle coming off it was a great ride to say the least...

that flathead wont run with a ohv
would never say that. with the right driver hooked up it can be done. + on a daily basis limited Animals and flatheads do better lap times than some on 450 hondas. I've also seen clones do better lap times than the limiteds. tires can embarrass a motor, seen plenty of legal motors in the tech barn with red faced 2nd place finishers

that flathead wont run with a ohv
We aren't bench racing here. But a limited modified flatty will keep up and potentially win on that small of a track. With the correct driver, shoes, and gearing anyone could win. Just because it lacks a little hp from the ohv engines doesn't mean it won't be competitive.

would never say that. with the right driver hooked up it can be done. + on a daily basis limited Animals and flatheads do better lap times than some on 450 hondas. I've also seen clones do better lap times than the limiteds. tires can embarrass a motor, seen plenty of legal motors in the tech barn with red faced 2nd place finishers
Well not where you race. What engine has track record at Ashway if you don't mind telling me? Certainlly not a "stock" class/ At a smaller track it might happen if you don't facew top drivers, but if you compare the top drivers at a stock class and the UAS drivers at any given track where top UAS drivers have been they have hit track record. It is true though that tires and setup are more important, That's why sometimes I can be faster on my small 100cc engine ( power on low 30s using alky) than on my 131 stroker Sudam at around 50hp, but with the right setup that shouldn't happen. Comparing a top driver with a non top driver doesn't mean the kart is potentially faster.

Thanks everyone for the opinions, If done i'd like to stay away for the 2 strokers, just not a fan of most power bands pull my fat @ss off the corner or wearing out clutches, mixing fuel.. but that BRC sounds fun..

That limits it to the animal / predator clone types .
Unless you want something off the wall and not readily available parts wise . Or a 200 cc motorcycle engine

what about a hopped up F200? What's the most anyone's gotten out of them without punching the CC's. I took a closer look at some of the "fast karts" in the class last week. pretty much billet block/head OHV motors.

Most is a relative word . It should yeild the same as a animal/ world formula or clone .
If you get 28 hp I would say thats about it .

Back