lever clutche operations

foreverfaster

Site Supporter
help me if I'm getting this all wrong...
I am to understand that the springs on a lever type clutch hold the pressure plate up. when the RPM's increase the levers by use of rotational mass pivot on their axis and put pressure on the pressure plate thus compressing the springs and making contact with the disks... causing friction and then acceleration upon engagement.

by backing out the springs (less spring pressure to hold) thus engagement at lower rpm... also can be done by adding weight (washers) to the levers... more mass

more spring pressure (tightening spring) and less weights will cause the clutch to engage at a higher rpm...

good to go?? or out to lunch?

help me if I'm getting this all wrong...
I am to understand that the springs on a lever type clutch hold the pressure plate up. when the RPM's increase the levers by use of rotational mass pivot on their axis and put pressure on the pressure plate thus compressing the springs and making contact with the disks... causing friction and then acceleration upon engagement.

by backing out the springs (less spring pressure to hold) thus engagement at lower rpm... also can be done by adding weight (washers) to the levers... more mass

more spring pressure (tightening spring) and less weights will cause the clutch to engage at a higher rpm...

good to go?? or out to lunch?

You are quite correct.
General thought is that more weights and heavier springs are an advantage over lighter weights and softer springs. I would go along with that reasoning as well. That's how I prefer to build our clutches.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
26 years of service to the karting industry
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

JLSRacing, not sure yet.. still assembling karts. I'm near kalamazoo / portage.. looks like we will have a LO206, a clone and a "Honda" when we are done.. I know the honda's not legal anywhere but it's what we have for now.. I'm waiting on some parts and prices... hope to have 2 or 3 karts ready by the 4th of july

Back