LO206 Question

TedD

Has anyone put the LO on a Dyno and found what RPM the peak torque is at? Also, any real HP numbers from the Dyno?

It depends on whose dyno it's tested on.
On my dyno a methanol blueprinted Animal makes about 12.5 Hp.
The LO 206 makes about 9.5 HP

Torque #'s?
On our track, the Sr Lo206's are leaving the AKRA build clones in the dust even with an extra 20#'s.
I have a hard time believing the Lo206 is 8.8HP with a 22mm carb, unless that low HP comes with a bunch of torque.

Has anyone put the LO on a Dyno and found what RPM the peak torque is at? Also, any real HP numbers from the Dyno?

We dyno test the LO206 engine from 4000 to rev limiter and based on the Ft-Lb torque curve these engines peak some where less than 4000 rpm. Next time we dyno test we will drag the low point down around 3500 and see how this compares. My best guess is the peak torque is around 3200 to 3500 rpm, but not real sure until we test at these lower levels.

Our peak HP numbers also agree with Jim at Faster Motors.

Steve

Driving back to back, I would say the LO206 simply has more area under the curve therefore pulls better throughout the range.

Steve or anyone else, do you have curves from a clone and a 206 that we could compare from same dyno? You could hide the the HP and tq numbers, not that important once the conditions are similar for the pulls.

Steve or anyone else, do you have curves from a clone and a 206 that we could compare from same dyno? You could hide the the HP and tq numbers, not that important once the conditions are similar for the pulls.

Yes, we have that data, will compare the Tq levels later when we get time.

That's what has me stumped. The curve must be vastly different. Because we're not talking a few kart lengths difference, I'm talking about the fastest Lo206's putting the fastest AKRA-ish clones a HALF LAP DOWN on a track that has 19 turns and just over 1 minute lap times. It's 1:05's for the clone, and 1:02's for the Lo206. These aren't any cheating Lo206's either, a couple of our front runners this year were new to karting with a couple of Jimbo's Lo206's just slapped onto a couple of retired TAG chassis'.
What gives?

Yes.....but our track is too big and the engines built a lot of heat being choked thru the weenie, so we run open header/exhaust on the clones. The .830 and .880 are the most popular header sizes.
The only clone I've seen hang with the Lo206's was a Hemi with a slide carb which I assumed was well modified.

I noticed about a second or so difference at Carolina Motorsports Park. The 206 just has way more torque through the curve than the clone, but on an oval (non weenie pipe) they are about even.

Must be the way i set them up for you. Ha Ha
Just kidding.

Driving back to back, I would say the LO206 simply has more area under the curve therefore pulls better throughout the range.

Just some quick torque data for now based on LO206 vs Clone.

Note - The actual torque numbers are lowered for presentation, but the % differences are correct. So yea the LO206 has a little more torque on the bottom end.

LO206
RPM -- Tq ( Ft-Lbs )
4000 -- 10.6
5000 -- 9.6
6000 -- 7.5

Clone
RPM -- Tq ( Ft-Lbs )
4000 -- 10.3
5000 -- 9.5
6000 -- 7.8

Steve

Back