LO206 questions

DPR2

Local track is adding this class adult heavy lo206 class. Wondering on..

What are max rpm's for these motors?

Run on gas or Meth?

How much difference does a pipe make in the horsepower?

Pipe and muffler are spec per the rules. Engine has a 6100 rpm limiter in coil. Runs on gas . Torque curve / power 3400 to 5800 rpm give or take. Go to Briggs L206, rules has all the info there .

Make sure your track sticks to the established Briggs rules. There is no reason to stray from them, and many will have their say and want to.

What kind of HP are these on the dyno when properly tuned and what type of range do you see from a lot of 10 different engines?

Over 10 engines, maybe .5 HP difference from absolute best to absolute worst. That's on an inertia dyno over about a year. As for HP numbers, that depends on each dyno and the calibration. My dyno calibration reads high, but I don't care because I am comparing engines over time, not boasting about the high numbers.

Make sure your track sticks to the established Briggs rules. There is no reason to stray from them, and many will have their say and want to.

Agree except for the spec filter. I don't see any problem letting people run a different filter. I know it's petty, but I don't like paying $24 for a $6 filter! :)

I have this thing on my dyno chart that I call "total power under the curve". It's just an adding of all the points on the curve, and I think it's useful. It's possible for an engine to have a higher peak HP, but a lower number for power under the curve. It could make a difference on the track!

I understand the filter rule deal, but consider that most racers aren't buying a $6 air filter -- they're buying ones upwards of $35! (K&N, R2C, Walker, etc.)
Same argument can be made for the "overpriced" spark plug until you consider what other plugs are available (even before you have the shank turned down another .060" in a lathe.)

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
27 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

I rather see everyone on 1 air filter and 1 spark plug. I made the mistake of buying an R2c for my clone that collected dust from day 1. Makes these green ones look like gold. One less thing to deal with. Don't forget qualifying filters too

I understand the filter rule deal, but consider that most racers aren't buying a $6 air filter -- they're buying ones upwards of $35! (K&N, R2C, Walker, etc.)
Same argument can be made for the "overpriced" spark plug until you consider what other plugs are available (even before you have the shank turned down another .060" in a lathe.)

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
27 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

That's my point, Brian. I don't mind paying $24 or more for a filter, but I'd like to get a $24 filter in return! :)

I rather see everyone on 1 air filter and 1 spark plug. I made the mistake of buying an R2c for my clone that collected dust from day 1. Makes these green ones look like gold. One less thing to deal with. Don't forget qualifying filters too

I don't disagree about one filter. Just wish it was either a better filter for $24, or a cheaper price for the one we have to run. Not a real big deal either way.

PS. I love my R2C. I was getting a little dust at first, too, but I changed filter adapters and no more dust. I love not having to oil it.

PS. I love my R2C. I was getting a little dust at first, too, but I changed filter adapters and no more dust. I love not having to oil it.

I don't understand this talk of dust on the filter. Is the filter attracting dust? Is there something about the filter that makes it attract dust? I thought the whole purpose of the filter was to keep this dust from going into the engine. If there's dust on the filter, doesn't that mean it did its job? So confusing, to me at least.

Back