Low kart count in senior classes

There's usually a good field of senior drivers at my home track (Dawgwood), it's for ages 35 and up.

they are too concerned about wka/akra classes and are afraid to step out and do anything different...at 57, i'd love to race against a bunch of 50 plus drivers that aren't concerned with national points, what payout they will have, having the newest/latest and greatest....all i want to do is race and have fun!!!

just my thoughts!

That right there is a good example why I enjoy vintage karting now more than ever.

"I'll be excited because I won the race... not because I won $150 or $200".

I like that line, very insightful Hawkeye79. Thanks, you put it all into perspective. Bravo.

I just started racing this year to much rain to race a lot. I got one problem to many classes to many motors. I ran at 3 tracks. 3 differentsets of rules. I just want to have fun. Wife wants me to win. I passbclean but don't get passed that way. I am going to try to find some races this winter and next year but if its still a big pain to find a good place to race I will just stop. I don't want to just run against 3 karts

In these parts we have lost 4 tracks due to low kart counts within 1 1/2 hours from home so were down to one and they only race one a month so a lot have just lost interest. I think the money shows have hurt somewhat due to the fact that in most cases the racers are budget racers and can't afford getting in the melee.
I remember when we first started racing the Clones, (central machines) as Box stock and it seemed that classes were full and was good competition for all but since all the rules and specs karting interest has slowed down. Money is the cause whatever if it's entry fee's,payouts, engines,tires, prep or whatever is needed it keeps the little guy at home.
You need the kids classes to keep the sport alive but you also need the seniors to guide them.

Last edited:
senior classes are getting overrun by youngsters. look at it from the track point of view....instead of setting an age for racing in the class, they look at it as "you've raced for 9 years, your 15 and a senior in racing, so you can race int he senior class".....

very few tracks will say that the senior class is for 45 years (insert any age) or older.....

try to get a class like this and maybe you'll get more out to the track....but once you let the young guns into a senior class, you might as well go back to the rocker on the porch...tracks are getting to where they don't care about the mid to back pack karts or setting up classes where everyone can race and have fun. they are too concerned about wka/akra classes and are afraid to step out and do anything different...at 57, i'd love to race against a bunch of 50 plus drivers that aren't concerned with national points, what payout they will have, having the newest/latest and greatest....all i want to do is race and have fun!!!

just my thoughts!

My problem with racing the young guns is they dont know the difference between aggressive and reckless. I dont want to offend anyone and I know Im not speeking about all young racers, but I've been in too many wrecks caused by inexperienced drivers driving over their head.

Bad Track Management is a big problem, a lot of the places I've been too, do not know what a black flag is.

Running with a 15-30 year old group of guys is not always fun the older you get, they typically have more Testosterone.

What you need to do is go and race the vintage events in Vintage Karting Association (VKA), I'm 43 and I'm just considered to be a young know nothing inexperienced snot nosed punk because I'm under 50.

the way a track is run speaks volumes for why the kart count is good or bad. allowing agressive driving or in some cases, reckless driving, is getting to be the norm instead of the exception. you get some that respect everyone's abilities and everyone's equipment, but more often than not, you get tracks that turn a blind eye to what we (those old guys out there!) see as just plain bad driving or being a bully on the track. then when this bully kid wins, he acts like either it was no big deal and gloats, or trys to make everyone believe how humble he is. seen both....and each time i want to kick the parent(s) in the tooshie for allowing this behavior.

seniors racing is fun and exciting to watch becasue we know how to race, when to make a move and when to back out and wait, how to pass without punting the other driver into left field, when it's time to slow down and when it's time for the win. several of the guys i race against are all of the same mind....we race to have fun and do our best to win. i've been punted, kicked, stung....a long string of words by younger drivers that don't know how to race right. all they've been told is that the only thing they need to do is win, no matter what. some of the parents think that they are raising the next jimmie johnson or dale senior....when in reality they are just creating a bully that no one would give a dime to race one of thier cars.

give me a bunch of seniors to race against that can glue themselves to my bumper without trying to sit in the seat with me anyday over some of the others that think they are God's gift to the world....

just my thoughts!!!

Well said !! The best racing I ever did was Sr box stock and everyone was 35 and over. Respectful of each other and we always had a fantastic time helping each other out.

Vic

My problem with racing the young guns is they dont know the difference between aggressive and reckless. I dont want to offend anyone and I know Im not speeking about all young racers, but I've been in too many wrecks caused by inexperienced drivers driving over their head.

I have been in too many wrecks by old guys who dont know the difference between agressive and reckless.

Doesn't matter your age.

the way a track is run speaks volumes for why the kart count is good or bad. allowing agressive driving or in some cases, reckless driving, is getting to be the norm instead of the exception. you get some that respect everyone's abilities and everyone's equipment, but more often than not, you get tracks that turn a blind eye to what we (those old guys out there!) see as just plain bad driving or being a bully on the track. then when this bully kid wins, he acts like either it was no big deal and gloats, or trys to make everyone believe how humble he is. seen both....and each time i want to kick the parent(s) in the tooshie for allowing this behavior.

seniors racing is fun and exciting to watch becasue we know how to race, when to make a move and when to back out and wait, how to pass without punting the other driver into left field, when it's time to slow down and when it's time for the win. several of the guys i race against are all of the same mind....we race to have fun and do our best to win. i've been punted, kicked, stung....a long string of words by younger drivers that don't know how to race right. all they've been told is that the only thing they need to do is win, no matter what. some of the parents think that they are raising the next jimmie johnson or dale senior....when in reality they are just creating a bully that no one would give a dime to race one of thier cars.

give me a bunch of seniors to race against that can glue themselves to my bumper without trying to sit in the seat with me anyday over some of the others that think they are God's gift to the world....

just my thoughts!!!

Well stated Mikey! The word (most miss in these situations) is...."Respect", and when I recognize a 'hot-shoe' that understands the word, he will gain my 'respect'! Too few and far in between!!

reckless or agressive driving happens in all age gruops, seen it, been accused of it myself, been caught in it too

reckless or agressive driving happens in all age gruops, seen it, been accused of it myself, been caught in it too

That's true. Also knowing who you are racing is just as important. You can usually spot who is who, and I normally race those guys on the ovals differently. What you give is sometimes what you get.

I've been on some vintage sprint tracks with some old guys that likely have never really raced anywhere, or if they have it was 30 years ago and they are extremely rusty.

And yes vintagequest, my vintage kart and my engines are older than I am by a couple of years.

Someone should have a track for seniors night say 1 Fridays per month for 35 and over and see over 300 karters show up.. Can you imagine 50 to 60 karters starting out 3 wide for the first lap then you can race regular once the flag drops to start the race. . In different heats and classes. That is how the Europeans race their karts. Now that is racing

i guess that i should have said that agressive and reckless driving DOES happen at all age levels, but by the time you get where you just want to have fun, the agressiveness and recklessness is usually tempered by age. i'm not saying that all junior drivers or senior drivers are bad. i've met great kids and then again, i've met some bad adults. it reminds me that when i was a rookie cop, i had a supervisor that asked me point blank if i wanted to stay a cop or did i want to go play int he sand box with the other kiddies....i told him that i wanted to learn the right way. to this day, his words remind me that i made the right decision. what he told me was simple....one is to do the job the right way the first time...that way you never have to wodner or look over your shoulder. the second is that you can tell a person to go to hades without ever raising your voice or using profanity to get your point across. i can yell at my kids, but i won't yell at yours.....but you can bet your last dollar that if he trys to play this "i'm better than you becuase i wear sunglasses at night and my daddy tells me to win every race no matter what....he will learn that i will not stand for that type of behavior. i won't yell, holler or scream and i won't cuss at him (or her!).....but they will know that they have been royally chewed up and spit out.

i will respect you from the moment we meet, until you....YOU....prove me wrong. but until that time, i can be your best friend....or when you prove me wrong, your worst enemy.

now......put this on, sit down right there, let me tug on this rope and lets have us some real fast fun....

and georgehenry...that goes back to what i was saying before......famous words.... "did you see that "stuff" at the start of that old timers race? betcha they won't do that again!" ....... and you know that we'll all be back next month to try and do just that...all over again!! we may be smarter in some ways....but we can be dummer than a bag of hammers in other ways!!!

Back