Max torque clutch grinding sound

dennis4523

I got a max torque clutch with a black spring paired with my wildcat 223 stage 2. And it ran fine for a very long time. Had this clutch for 2 months and I oiled basically after every ride. Not really racing on it but cruising mostly. However one random moment it decided to make this awful grinding sound. It still hooks and moves the chain, but it will create sparks and smoke very fast.

I took it apart and everything seems normal, the shoes have normal wear, nothing is out of place, nothing rubs. It only makes this sound under load and not freewheeling. Any ideas or should I just buy a new clutch?

Dennis -- send it to me and let me go through it. I cannot even guess why you are getting sparks. Also sending me a coupl of pictures of your set up by e-mail before you ship me the clutch . Jim@maxtorque.com

Did you take a good look at the bushing, is there a lot of side to side movement while mounted on motor where you can see the basket hitting somewhere ? I have 2 Max Torque's with well over 800 laps of racing on them with zero issues. All I do is clean em, grease the bushing and send em.

Did you take a good look at the bushing, is there a lot of side to side movement while mounted on motor where you can see the basket hitting somewhere ? I have 2 Max Torque's with well over 800 laps of racing on them with zero issues. All I do is clean em, grease the bushing and send em.
Normal everything, I took out the shoes, spring, looked at every inch of the thing and it looked completely fine. It doesn’t skip on the drive shaft either. It hooks and moves but it sparks and smokes when I put it under load and drive. I know it’s not an engagement issue since the clutch doesn’t make the sound under idle with no bite being made. Only when it starts to bite does it make this sound

Dennis -- send it to me and let me go through it. I cannot even guess why you are getting sparks. Also sending me a coupl of pictures of your set up by e-mail before you ship me the clutch . Jim@maxtorque.com
What would you like specifically? It’s a normal Max torque clutch with a black spring, everything else is stock and I use 10w-30 oil no additives.

Back