Minimum weight driver

The heavy drivers got 1 maybe 2 classes to run .super heavy and sumo.
Theres no way for them to race in the 350 lb class and compete .
This is a valid point, However consider some places do not offer 340 lb or 350 lb class they only offer 375 lb or 380 lb now your 120 lb driver only has 1 chance to race plus your forcing him or her to add 85 lb to 90 lb of lead, and in the same breath telling a 180 lb driver him adding 45 lb to 50 lb of lead to run the 400 lb class is crazy, I think this is Paul's main point !!

I can see allowing super light driver of age to bolt on enough weight to make the class he/she would legally qualify for. As for moving up to another class I wouldn't want to see more than 25/30 lbs added to the kart.

I can see allowing super light driver of age to bolt on enough weight to make the class he/she would legally qualify for. As for moving up to another class I wouldn't want to see more than 25/30 lbs added to the kart.
Don, do the math lowest weight class offered anymore for Sr MOST places is 340 lb based on only adding 25/30 lbs do you realize how many guy's and gals could not race, Use Justin Yohn and Quinten Graham for examples to this day I still have to put 65 lb on the kart for Justin to run 340 lb.
only adding 30 lbs of lead the driver would need to weight 140 lb and that's cutting it real close on some chassis.
Plus there are a good many series And tracks not even offering the 340 lb class lowest is 370 lb.

This is a valid point, However consider some places do not offer 340 lb or 350 lb class they only offer 375 lb or 380 lb now your 120 lb driver only has 1 chance to race plus your forcing him or her to add 85 lb to 90 lb of lead, and in the same breath telling a 180 lb driver him adding 45 lb to 50 lb of lead to run the 400 lb class is crazy, I think this is Paul's main point !!
This is exactly what I'm saying ....if I want to run two classes I have to run 375 and 340 and If I take all lead off kart I'm still over weight for 340 ....running 375 and 400 would be better for me but I cant because of the driver minimum weight rule for 400 class ...so track loses an entry

I have 65 lbs on a Jr1 and we are only a year from ageing to Jr2!

Easiest rule would have been to just say you can't run extra heavy clone if you run any other clone classes. That would have left it to only the really big guys without an arbitrary weight rule.

Easiest rule would have been to just say you can't run extra heavy clone if you run any other clone classes. That would have left it to only the really big guys without an arbitrary weight rule.
For the most part that would work, UNLESS the money class was only for Xtra heavy.

What Don said, also prevents a lead sled landing on top of a driver during an accident.
I remember a very thin 16-year-old who liked to run the McCullough heavy class. (He had to add weight to run the light weight class.) Whenever he looked around for help to lift his kart up on the stand, you could see people nonchalantly walking away.

Don, do the math lowest weight class offered anymore for Sr MOST places is 340 lb based on only adding 25/30 lbs do you realize how many guy's and gals could not race, Use Justin Yohn and Quinten Graham for examples to this day I still have to put 65 lb on the kart for Justin to run 340 lb.
only adding 30 lbs of lead the driver would need to weight 140 lb and that's cutting it real close on some chassis.
Plus there are a good many series And tracks not even offering the 340 lb class lowest is 370 lb.
You didn't read my first few lines. I have no problem with guys like the Quintons or for that matter my nephew. I said, " I can see allowing super light driver of age to bolt on enough weight to make the class he/she would legally qualify for.

I remember running sr sportsman . Thinking i was doing pretty good . Roll across scales and am twenty pds light , at 5'10 average size 41 year old male .
It is what it is , like stated there are not really any light classes offered unless you go with one of the two past national organizations.
360-380 ,400 for super heavy .
Honestly theres no reason for a 130 lb drver in the super heavy class .
The distinction though not spelled out , is the driver is super sized .
The skinny guy can't really get bigger and the big guy can't get skinny .

You didn't read my first few lines. I have no problem with guys like the Quintons or for that matter my nephew. I said, " I can see allowing super light driver of age to bolt on enough weight to make the class he/she would legally qualify for.
Your I wouldn't want to see more than 25/30 lb added part, is what made me comment.

Last edited:

There are some big guys that strip their weights off their karts and will run in lighter classes , so this would eliminate them from being able to race in their perspective class , thus cutting down entries to other classes as well .

The reason for the 200/200 rule for the 400# class as I was to understand , was to keep the added weights of the karts low and to give the larger sized drivers a class where they can be more competitive in . In my series , I adhere to a strict weight rule in all of my classes that I run . If you are 1 lb under it is a DQ . This has been missed a few times by the scale operator , because they didn't know I had a no forgiveness tolerance , that is why I tell my racers to scale on the track scales at every track we raced at . Most karts that I have seen , weigh in around 155 to 165 lbs , there may be some lighter and some heavier , but that seems to be the average ball park . So if you take a kart weighing say , 160# , and add a driver weighing 150 lbs , that is 310 lbs . If you wanted to race the 400# class , you would have to bolt on 90# of dead weight . which would make the kart weigh 250#. Would you as a racer , want to see an extra 50# of uncontrolled , hurling weight come at you during a race ? I wouldn't ..

There are some big guys that strip their weights off their karts and will run in lighter classes , so this would eliminate them from being able to race in their perspective class , thus cutting down entries to other classes as well .
The idea is for the bigger guys to have their own class so they could be competitive amongst similar sized drivers. It wasn't meant to have 4 weigh classes to get extra entries (money) from all the drivers.

What other form of racing has weight classes like this? TBH it's idiotic, but that is a separate discussion.

The reason for the 200/200 rule for the 400# class as I was to understand , was to keep the added weights of the karts low and to give the larger sized drivers a class where they can be more competitive in . In my series , I adhere to a strict weight rule in all of my classes that I run . If you are 1 lb under it is a DQ . This has been missed a few times by the scale operator , because they didn't know I had a no forgiveness tolerance , that is why I tell my racers to scale on the track scales at every track we raced at . Most karts that I have seen , weigh in around 155 to 165 lbs , there may be some lighter and some heavier , but that seems to be the average ball park . So if you take a kart weighing say , 160# , and add a driver weighing 150 lbs , that is 310 lbs . If you wanted to race the 400# class , you would have to bolt on 90# of dead weight . which would make the kart weigh 250#. Would you as a racer , want to see an extra 50# of uncontrolled , hurling weight come at you during a race ? I wouldn't ..
But we do have this already ...using your math ...160 pound kart ad 120 pound driver that's 280 pounds still needs 95 pounds to run 375 class which is my complaint kinda ... I weigh 190 with gear ..kart 160 that's 350 I need 50 pounds to run 400 class

Back