Minimum weight driver

But we do have this already ...using your math ...160 pound kart ad 120 pound driver that's 280 pounds still needs 95 pounds to run 375 class which is my complaint kinda ... I weigh 190 with gear ..kart 160 that's 350 I need 50 pounds to run 400 class
Plus even with the 200 /200 rule someone right at 200 lb is adding 40 lbs, and by applying both rules a driver right at 200 lbs has no tolerances if he weights 199 your DQing him, if kart weights 201 your DQing him.

Ran a little outlaw track , jr stock appering and adult no weight rules .
Big , little , tall or short . Line em up and lets race .
2 jr restricted classes with weight rules .
450 feet on the outside .

Not sure there is a win win here. I remember back in early wka when I had my own track the weight was 325, 350, and 375. I had plenty of entries. Then the 325 class begin to dwindle. In wrestling there used to be an 88 lb class and next was 95lb. Those classes began to dwindle. Kids are bigger today than yesterday. SO, this topic is actually about two things. Safety and weight. No win win here

Not sure there is a win win here. I remember back in early wka when I had my own track the weight was 325, 350, and 375. I had plenty of entries. Then the 325 class begin to dwindle. In wrestling there used to be an 88 lb class and next was 95lb. Those classes began to dwindle. Kids are bigger today than yesterday. SO, this topic is actually about two things. Safety and weight. No win win here
And with the Safety side I think pay more attention to how the weight is mounted VS how much total weight is added. I'd add the topic is about 1 more thing as I think it was part of Paul's original question, WHY do we do some things in one class and lobby hard to justify it when the same thing is going on in other classes and we just overlook it.

Mid 90's I think lights was 305 mediums was 335 and heavys was 360

If tracks did 300, 320, 340, 360, 380, 400, 420, 440 for all SR classes, with different driver min weights for 400, 420, 440 it would cover everyone's theories ( concerns ) but sure would thin out the fields to race against.

If tracks did 300, 320, 340, 360, 380, 400, 420, 440 for all SR classes, with different driver min weights for 400, 420, 440 it would cover everyone's theories ( concerns ) but sure would thin out the fields to race against.
The biggest thing I see is there's still a pile of weight added on the 375 class , at 375# minus 160# kart still still allows a 215 driver to meet min weight . IMO classes are too heavy

The biggest thing I see is there's still a pile of weight added on the 375 class , at 375# minus 160# kart still still allows a 215 driver to meet min weight . IMO classes are too heavy
You would probably be correct more weight added to 375 lb class, but keep in mind some tracks and series didn't even offer 340lb, I'd say a debate on classes being to heavy would go about 50/50 split.

The track I race at, there's a Predator 375 class. I weigh 230#, cross scales in kart at 415# (10# added to front to make %'s). So I'm giving up 40#. Still think I can run competitive with others. But, I wouldn't go to a Burris race in that class, probably run super heavy animal 400. Just the way it is.

The 200# max kart weight is only for the 400# and 425# classes . I once entered a 375# over 35 race , where the winner weighed in at 125# soaking wet . Due to the track surface , many of us could not get our karts loose enough to be able to compete to stay with the guy , because he had the advantage of moving his weights where they were more effective . I argued the 200# kart weight rule ( My first year kart racing ) and was told the rule was not in effect for that class . As I became a certified tech for AKRA , I questioned this rule to the others and made the suggestion to make the 200# kart rule to encompass all classes . As I have learned , that if you were to make the 200# kart rule a standard , you would have to change the weight classes considerably , especially in the Jr classes . You would have to drop the minimum weights down . For example , Jr 1 265# , kart weighs 160# , which leaves 105#s needed to make weight . Drivers average around 40 lbs , give or take , that leaves 65 lbs of weight needed to make weight for the class . If there was a 200# max kart rule , that would put the kart at 240# including driver . The added 25#s to the class , was from my understanding , was to help slow down the karts because of the power to weight ratio , which serves in all the other Jr classes . My point is , that a lighter driver can take advantage of weight placement over a larger driver , by having the 200# max kart weight in the super heavy , which in most cases , is to large of an improvement to overcome by the larger racers .
As to my series , my classes were 350# and 400# , which some ran both classes , and those that couldn't ran the tracks class that they fit into , so they got to compete in more races than just my series . My series was not a stand alone , take over the track type of series , rather more than an added couple of money classes put on during a regular nights track show . Sometimes a track would combine my races with theirs , and used the finishes into their points . I did add a RWYB class and did sponsor other classes as well , as I was the title sponsor of the series . My payouts were 100% and I sponsored the top 5 payouts in each class , and everyone that started the features received something back , I think most of the time , last place received 1/2 of the entry fee back , and Champions had a chance to get money or a leather jacket , as well as other sponsored gifts .

For every class ?
My main sponsored classes were 350# and 400# . I also did a RWYB class and sponsored some other classes , such as a Powder Puff race and some Sumo races . I even had 1 Super Sumo race , 435# where the driver min weight was 235# , all the racers seemed to enjoy racing a race where they could be competitive in .

The idea is for the bigger guys to have their own class so they could be competitive amongst similar sized drivers. It wasn't meant to have 4 weigh classes to get extra entries (money) from all the drivers.

What other form of racing has weight classes like this? TBH it's idiotic, but that is a separate discussion.
You seem to be missing the point of the context of the discussion . Some are wondering why the 200# max kart weight rule isn't for all classes ..

Plus even with the 200 /200 rule someone right at 200 lb is adding 40 lbs, and by applying both rules a driver right at 200 lbs has no tolerances if he weights 199 your DQing him, if kart weights 201 your DQing him.
To answer your question , yes . But I had a 205# driver rule in my 400# series and a 200# max kart weight , which yes , that was 405# , but it gave the drivers 5# to keep from DQ ing for fuel burn off , ect .

You seem to be missing the point of the context of the discussion . Some are wondering why the 200# max kart weight rule isn't for all classes ..

I fully understand the discussion.

The rule is stupid as it is and could be fixed with smarter weight classes. As written, it is OK for a 40 lb kid to have a 225 lb kart but it isn't OK for a 180 lb person to have a 225 lb kart.

The 200# max kart weight is only for the 400# and 425# classes . I once entered a 375# over 35 race , where the winner weighed in at 125# soaking wet . Due to the track surface , many of us could not get our karts loose enough to be able to compete to stay with the guy , because he had the advantage of moving his weights where they were more effective . I argued the 200# kart weight rule ( My first year kart racing ) and was told the rule was not in effect for that class . As I became a certified tech for AKRA , I questioned this rule to the others and made the suggestion to make the 200# kart rule to encompass all classes . As I have learned , that if you were to make the 200# kart rule a standard , you would have to change the weight classes considerably , especially in the Jr classes . You would have to drop the minimum weights down . For example , Jr 1 265# , kart weighs 160# , which leaves 105#s needed to make weight . Drivers average around 40 lbs , give or take , that leaves 65 lbs of weight needed to make weight for the class . If there was a 200# max kart rule , that would put the kart at 240# including driver . The added 25#s to the class , was from my understanding , was to help slow down the karts because of the power to weight ratio , which serves in all the other Jr classes . My point is , that a lighter driver can take advantage of weight placement over a larger driver , by having the 200# max kart weight in the super heavy , which in most cases , is to large of an improvement to overcome by the larger racers .
As to my series , my classes were 350# and 400# , which some ran both classes , and those that couldn't ran the tracks class that they fit into , so they got to compete in more races than just my series . My series was not a stand alone , take over the track type of series , rather more than an added couple of money classes put on during a regular nights track show . Sometimes a track would combine my races with theirs , and used the finishes into their points . I did add a RWYB class and did sponsor other classes as well , as I was the title sponsor of the series . My payouts were 100% and I sponsored the top 5 payouts in each class , and everyone that started the features received something back , I think most of the time , last place received 1/2 of the entry fee back , and Champions had a chance to get money or a leather jacket , as well as other sponsored gifts .
So then a 224 lb racer could not run your 425 lb class, as his kart would weight 201 lb, SORRY but that's just a plain stupid rule.

To answer your question , yes . But I had a 205# driver rule in my 400# series and a 200# max kart weight , which yes , that was 405# , but it gave the drivers 5# to keep from DQ ing for fuel burn off , ect .
I've seen karts on a FRI night wet condition pick up 10 + lbs of mud on the frame, how did you handle that ? or classes with the 200 lb max kart rule did you confirm that before practice ?

Y’all are arguing about how safe a “heavy kart” is, when in reality, who cares?

If we were concerned about safety, we’d all be racing cage karts. Don’t kid yourself.

If your 200+ pounds run the 400 or 425 class which are SUPER HEAVY classes.

If you are 190, sack up and race against the 350 and 375s. Plain and simple.

If you feel like you can’t be competitive at 190, then gain 10 pounds and run super heavy, or lose 10 pounds and run more competitively in 350 and 375

Back