Motor sealer

bullerman

Back years ago what did they use to seal the old flat heads at national events. Was it some type of paint, putty or what was it. They would seal the side cover, carb and so forth.
We are having trouble with parents boring out restrictor plates in the kids classes.
I was thinking they could check the restrictor plate before the race then seal the nuts on the air filter. This is terrible but its happening.

Fingernail polish was painted on the bolts to seal the bolts.

Some trailers had larger selections of nail polish than modern racers selection of tires to match the seals.
Seals are like locks, they keep the honest people honest.

Best deterrent is to check immediately after race.
I have seen qualifying/heat races that I know was with illegal plate, verified by not being nearly so dominant in feature, but got to start in front..

More work than most weekly racing tech wants to do.

Some will not do the work, or see they will not be dominant without an unfair advantage.

When they have to race under those conditions, they are in over their heads.

Last edited:
Hadn't thought about fonge er nail polish. Maybe you could mix your own. It might help some. I thought about checking the restrictor then seal the nuts that hold the air filter on. I thought about getting some wire seals and seal the air box to the motor.

Put teeth in the rules. Bore the plate and your done forever in plate clases.
See the bad thing is is that the driver of the kart usually doesnt know that is happening. They think they are setting the worl on fire. But whoever in there right mind would ever cheat in a kids class is a moron. Such a disrepectful thing to do to your kid and the competitors. these kids can do nothing about it. I cant believ people would cheat there kid like that. I have never understood cheating ecspecially in a Jr class why a parent would do that to the kids.

They need to get it under control at this track. I think they already have people not coming because of that.
I always wonder if people that cheat do it because they think the other people are cheating. Or if they just do it because they want their kid to win that bad. Maybe if they feel like everyone else is legal they wouldn't do it. I don know. I am going to suggest the nail polish method. I would think before the race he could check the plate, put the air box back on and paint the two nuts that hold it on. If that doesn't work use a wire seal.

So heres the scenario .
Little johnnys dad copmplains I can't fix my carb then .
Answer yes you can you just have too get the ok to cut the seal and have it resealed . All before the next heat race (y).

Fingernail polish was painted on the bolts to seal the bolts.

Some trailers had larger selections of nail polish than modern racers selection of tires to match the seals.
Seals are like locks, they keep the honest people honest.

Best deterrent is to check immediately after race.
I have seen qualifying/heat races that I know was with illegal plate, verified by not being nearly so dominant in feature, but got to start in front..

More work than most weekly racing tech wants to do.

Some will not do the work, or see they will not be dominant without an unfair advantage.

When they have to race under those conditions, they are in over their heads.
My builder always wire tied the 3 head bolts and carb screws. He always thought I would tamper with something. Funny thing is most tech guys would just say your good. But yeah we always had a lot of nail polish on the engine.

Apply nail polish to any bolt/nut/seam necessary AT THE SCALES following the first heat race. No need to check the plate prior to that.
After the feature, check the top 3 in the class at the tech barn. If the paint has been broken - it's an automatic DQ. Proceed to pull the plates that still had paint in tact and inspect them. If the plate is illegal, DQ the kart.
Teching is not difficult. It's also not fun (especially the kids classes.) It is ABSOLUTELY necessary.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
33 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Its literally as simple as pulling the air filter and shining a light through the carb, no real tech needed. All tracks here in the SE do it this way. If the plate has any raw aluminum showing whatsoever, they pull it and DQ.
Anodizing is cheap, and even at home anodizing equipment is available. You'd be surprised at what a few thousandths will do.

Some tech is better than no tech, sure, but shining a flashlight in the carb is hardly called tech.

Anodizing is cheap, and even at home anodizing equipment is available. You'd be surprised at what a few thousandths will do.

Some tech is better than no tech, sure, but shining a flashlight in the carb is hardly called tech.
Wasn't there a tool years ago that expanded the plate and didnt hurt the anodizing?

They need to get it under control at this track. I think they already have people not coming because of that.
I always wonder if people that cheat do it because they think the other people are cheating. Or if they just do it because they want their kid to win that bad. Maybe if they feel like everyone else is legal they wouldn't do it. I don know. I am going to suggest the nail polish method. I would think before the race he could check the plate, put the air box back on and paint the two nuts that hold it on. If that doesn't work use a wire seal.
must be at Savage

Yep. They teched the kids last night. Don't think they busted anybody on restrictor plates. Just needs to do it every week. Maybe if one doesn't think the other is cheating they won't.
They checked our stand rpm and weigh us in box stock. Hope he does it everytime. Guess I need to go back to weighing everytime before the race. I went from 353 last race to 364 this race. Don't know if the scales were wrong last time or this time. I think this time.

Back