multi disk 6 spring vs single disk 6 spring

foreverfaster

Site Supporter
ok, help me out.. my mind says (with out any knowledge of kart clutches) that 6 springs are better then 4 and 2 or 3 disks are better then 1... for short track 1/10 mile +/- which is better and why???
thanks

Weight of the kart/driver has more to do with it, heavier kart needs more discs or it will overheat. Single disc ain't good for much more than JR classes, most JR drivers dont even use the single disc they use 2 disc. Also has to do with the brand of the clutch, a single disc Bully will hold up better than some of the cheap 2 disc clutches out there like the Noram Cheetah. I dont think the theory about having more springs is better would be correct, alot of people use the 4 spring Bully clutches for limited modified or open engines instead of the 6 spring clutches

I can see reasons for going to more discs, but I don't understand the reason for going to less.

I've heard people say that one disc will accelerate faster than two, or two faster than three, but the math, in my mind anyway, doesn't support those conclusions.

Any calculation of the time needed to accelerate something a given distance, has to include the force available and the weight of the object being accelerated. If you're accelerating a 360 pound kart, how much time difference would one disc make? If you were accelerating the clutch by itself, then one disc would be a pretty good percentage increase, but if you're trying to accelerate a 360 pound kart, I don't think that one disc could make a measurable difference whatsoever, as far as acceleration is concerned. If anything, the extra disk, because going from one disc to two is a 100% increase in the area absorbing the power, might dissipate the heat better. Better heat dissipation would most likely give you, if not better performance, at least less stress on the parts. It's certainly not going to slow you down because of the extra weight. Not that I can see anyway!

I think the 6 spring is just easier on the parts. It distributes the load more evenly across the pressure discs. Each spring has to do less work. Going from 4 springs to 6 springs is a 50% change. Because the clutch has to hold exactly the same amount of torque with either clutch, it stands to reason that 6 springs can absorb that power more efficiently than 4 springs.

you guys are great! so im 250#.. kart I haven't weighed it yet, but guessing 150# +/- current motor is clone... I know nothing about it but the kart's pretty quick. will one day likely move to the LO206. the kart is a Rage kart. not sure the year.

so based on my weight and other info I've gathered... a bully clutch 2 or 3 disk 6 spring should pull my fat back side around the track. less likely to over heat because of multi disks

you guys are great! so im 250#.. kart I haven't weighed it yet, but guessing 150# +/- current motor is clone... I know nothing about it but the kart's pretty quick. will one day likely move to the LO206. the kart is a Rage kart. not sure the year.

so based on my weight and other info I've gathered... a bully clutch 2 or 3 disk 6 spring should pull my fat back side around the track. less likely to over heat because of multi disks

2 disc should be all you need, most guys dont use the 3 disc except for higher powered engines or real heavy kart/driver like champ karts

Back