NASCAR rent a rides

Just for conversation--how many of the truck and nationwide rides are rent a rides in some fashion? Either bring a sponsor or outright buy the seat? And what's the going rate? A coffeeshop buddy and I have been speculating that many are such a deal since it seems like a lot of these guys and gals stay awhile, then are never heard from again when the $$ runs out.. John

Jon Wes Townley brings the family business $$ with him to each of the rides that he has had. Not even Zaxby's money is good enuff to keep him in a ride long. I guess if you bring a million $1,000,000 and destroy $2,000,000 it doesn't take long for it to wear on an owner.

You're dead-on John. I just had a conversation about this a few weeks ago with former truck series driver Stacy Compton. He said the frustrating thing is that it's not about talent anymore, it's about how much money you bring to the table. The reality is that money, not horsepower, makes the wheels go around.

Soon or later the big Go kart races would end up same as the trucks, bring the money drive the kart take the cash .........

I think she brought something other than money. She brought "Sellabilty"
Trying to appeal to more people.

Sellability, Is that another name for talent, or for the ability to bring in money?

She definitely did not bring talent. Her only great accomplishments are that she sat on the pole at Daytona, and she did finish 6th. at Atlanta. She finished 28 in points. There was only 7 drivers that raced the full schedule behind her. That does not prove that she is a talented driver. BUT she does bring in money.
Kyle Larson finished 18 in the standings in his first year in the cup. He did that on talent only. Now his talent does bring in money.
I will have to go with the original post. Bring enough money and you can race! No matter how you get it.

Sellability, Is that another name for talent, or for the ability to bring in money?

She definitely did not bring talent. Her only great accomplishments are that she sat on the pole at Daytona, and she did finish 6th. at Atlanta. She finished 28 in points. There was only 7 drivers that raced the full schedule behind her. That does not prove that she is a talented driver. BUT she does bring in money.
Kyle Larson finished 18 in the standings in his first year in the cup. He did that on talent only. Now his talent does bring in money.
I will have to go with the original post. Bring enough money and you can race! No matter how you get it.

Is the Cup season over? Pretty impressive if Kyle Larson finished 18th and finished 10 races before everyone else!

Put it this way....depending on the level of competitiveness, an ARCA ride goes from $10,000-$50,000 for the weekend, depending on the track...go to Daytona or Talladega, and your price goes up.

I am assuming there is a crash clause in the agreement, which if there is, would limit how aggressive the driver should be---basically turning laps.

Truck series races are MUCH more than that now. Big late model stock rides cost close to 10 grand per race in NC/SC/VA area. Since becoming more of a "companion" series to Cup, the truck series requires much more affiliation with Cup teams to be competitive, and that concept rolls downhill. Speed costs- how fast do you wanna go?

One of the guys I work with runs a select few races in the Truck series and he was telling me that to run a truck it is $100,000 a race.

she finished lower than you will ever start....keep that in mind

Maybe buy a field filler.... what about paying the pit crew, all the expendables, and the licensing and entry fees? For better or worse, racing has entered the commercial era and the days of building your own car and taking on the legends and making a name for yourself are gone....unless your name is Menards and your dad has a lot of money from an already-famous-in-racing hardware store chain. (MENARDS has sponsored INDY cars for years, long before NAPCAR.)

IMO, the time is ripe for someone to buy out Rockingham, N. Wilkesboro, Kansas, Loudon, Hickory/Carolina, Pikes' Peak, and a couple other tracks and start a rival series... The tracks, (those few not owned by ISC / Bruton Smith) may well be open to it too as they news buzz would be legendary and if the car rules were sensible and affordable, the series might actually succeed instead of pulling an IRL... Not saying it's a GOOD idea, just that I could see someone trying it.

Maybe buy a field filler.... what about paying the pit crew, all the expendables, and the licensing and entry fees? For better or worse, racing has entered the commercial era and the days of building your own car and taking on the legends and making a name for yourself are gone....unless your name is Menards and your dad has a lot of money from an already-famous-in-racing hardware store chain. (MENARDS has sponsored INDY cars for years, long before NAPCAR.)
Thats what I meant by maintain.
IMO, the time is ripe for someone to buy out Rockingham, N. Wilkesboro, Kansas, Loudon, Hickory/Carolina, Pikes' Peak, and a couple other tracks and start a rival series... The tracks, (those few not owned by ISC / Bruton Smith) may well be open to it too as they news buzz would be legendary and if the car rules were sensible and affordable, the series might actually succeed instead of pulling an IRL... Not saying it's a GOOD idea, just that I could see someone trying it. Frank Kimmel..

Back