Need help

IM NEW TO KARTING AND AM HAVING A FEW PROBLEMS. THINK MY GEARING IS WRONG BECAUSE I AM ONLY TURNING LOW 6000's TO MAYBE 6300. I HAVE THE DYNO CL3 CAM. FIRST CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT RPM THIS CAM LIKES? IM GUESSING 6500-6600 BUT NOT REALLY SURE. MY SECOND PROBLEM IS HOW TO GET THROUGH THE CORNERS BETTER. IM LOOSE GOING IN BUT NOT TO THE POINT I CANT DRIVE IT. IN FACT I LIKE IT. ABOUT THE CENTER OF THE CORNER MY REAR WANTS TO COME AROUND ON ME JUST A LITTLE. AGAIN I CAN ALMOST DEAL WITH IT. I START SLIDING TO THE OUTSIDE AND AT THE LAST MINUTE THE KART GRIPS LIKE RUNNING ACROSS SANDPAPER. THIS ALLOWS ME TO STAY IN THE THROTTLE BUT WHEN IT FINALLY DOES GRIP IT STALLS THE MOTOR TOO MUCH. IS MY FRONT END TOO TIGHT CAUSING THE REAR TO COME AROUND WOULD I BE BETTER OFF TRYING TO FIX THE PROBLEM ELSEWHERE.RUNNING 425 CHAMP. ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

Sounds to me your rpm issue is related to kart handling.
Post kart type and setup numbers and I'm sure there will be many to help.

sounds to me your rpm issue is related to kart handling.
Post kart type and setup numbers and i'm sure there will be many to help.

i have an epic champ kart not sure of numbers had no scales and had to take a guess at it based on home scales. I think cross etc.. Is very close because it handles well. In fact during practice while the track was slippery, i was all over everybody especially in the corners. I could drive full throttle deep into the corners, but when it dried up a little, i got slower on the straights. Secret talk at the track was that the winner was on 15-67 and i was on 15-63. I think this was my rpm issue. When i was fast during practice i was on 15-66 and figured that as the track dried up i could go down a few gears. Tried 65 then 63. I did pick up a second on 63 but figured it was due to the track getting faster and not my having chose the correct gear.

do you know the track size ?
If not do they have a web-site ? If so what is it ?

sugar tit speedway - greer, south carolina. Think its about an 1/8 mile track maybe just a little longer.i havn't already said but i weigh 230. Think my front is somewhere around 45-46% and cross should be somewhere around 58-60%

sugar tit speedway - greer, south carolina. Think its about an 1/8 mile track maybe just a little longer.i havn't already said but i weigh 230. Think my front is somewhere arouhttp://karting.4cycle.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=608830nd 45-46% and cross should be somewhere around 58-60%

It's much bigger than a 1/8th, lot closer to a 1/5th AVG lap times champs around 14.5 sec laps, tough to tell with out knowing how much momentum there is but looks like the 15 front should be correct but I would say a 63 is to low I would put a 66 on for next run and leave it on and go from there.
What tire ? and what prep are you on ?

Also have another problem. Have leakage around spark plug due to temp sensor. Instructions say to remove plug washer so cc's dont change. Has anyone else had this problem and is there some fix. Scared to tighten plug too much for fear of stripping threads.

I'm working on finding or trading for some scales. I'm about broke after buying kart and new enclosed trailer. Like I said, I believe my setup is close because it just handles too well. Mainly trying to solve a small problem if I can until I can get some scales. I believe my rear end coming around slightly is because my front end is too tight or rear end too loose however you want to look at it. Don't want to tighten the rear out of fear that it may bog the motor. Was hoping to get a suggestion to free up the front just a tad and see if that helps next time I go to the track. My front is already all the way in so I cant make that adjustment. Perhaps more air but was hoping for a little more involved suggestion that I could try. Rears all the way in too so cant tighten the rear any.

My best guess would be with NO Internal prep your lacking front grip, thus you have to apply to much wheel then it finally grabs and snaps loose, VERY few tracks can you run straight up maxxis with only Hot Lap external, I would say you need 45 to 60 cc Internal.

IF anything I have too much front grip. I can turn it anywhere. Even when the track is sloppy I have no trouble turning. It goes where I point it. I think if the front did not grip so hard it wouldn't cause the rear to slide around, and when I say slide around I'm talking about stepping out only a few inches, not enough that I have to get off the throttle, but I think when that starts it forces the kart to drift to the outside where it finally catches but does so too hard and bogs the motor. My feelings are that if the front did not grip so hard the rear wouldn't slide out and I wouldn't slide to the outside so much and would remain in control throughout the corner and would not have to move so far up the track to finally gain grip and therefore would not bog the motor as much. In other words, I'm fine through the center of the corner. Its leaving the corner where the kart is out of control and is forced to the outside in order for the rear tires to catch up to the front. My thoughts are if the rear simply followed the front throughout the corner I wouldn't have this problem. I wouldn't be forced to the outside in order to fine grip and allow the rear to catch back up the fronts line of travel. Does this make since to anyone else, or am I shot out in the head?

Widen the front up a little or narrow the back. Put a little more LF caster, or a little less RF caster, or a little more rear weight percentage or a little more cross or a little more left, but only try one thing at a time.

You say you kind of like it and yes it's really fun when a kart is loose. Don't think something is wrong when you have made adjustments and get faster and it's not quite as fun to drive. A good handling, fast kart almost seems slow compared to an ill-handling kart. Judge your progress by the stopwatch.

IF anything I have too much front grip. I can turn it anywhere. Even when the track is sloppy I have no trouble turning. It goes where I point it. I think if the front did not grip so hard it wouldn't cause the rear to slide around, and when I say slide around I'm talking about stepping out only a few inches, not enough that I have to get off the throttle, but I think when that starts it forces the kart to drift to the outside where it finally catches but does so too hard and bogs the motor. My feelings are that if the front did not grip so hard the rear wouldn't slide out and I wouldn't slide to the outside so much and would remain in control throughout the corner and would not have to move so far up the track to finally gain grip and therefore would not bog the motor as much. In other words, I'm fine through the center of the corner. Its leaving the corner where the kart is out of control and is forced to the outside in order for the rear tires to catch up to the front. My thoughts are if the rear simply followed the front throughout the corner I wouldn't have this problem. I wouldn't be forced to the outside in order to fine grip and allow the rear to catch back up the fronts line of travel. Does this make since to anyone else, or am I shot out in the head?

If you sure it's to much front grip, decrease nose, decrease LF pos camber, as mentioned check rear stagger If your over 1 " pull some.

Back