Need some thoughts

we are not trying to get equal weights between sides that would be counter productive!)
when you say something like this, you're implying I'm trying to get equal weights like a Sprint kart. Which is totally wrong, and you know it. Other than that, the rest your quote was pretty good.

After seeing a 100 or more setups, and putting them into a spreadsheet, (which I've tested, and have found it to be, as accurate as anyone's) you get an idea of what an average setup is. When, on occasion, you see a setup that's drastically different from the average, isn't it okay to say something. Like I've said before, I have no idea on what an LTO setup should be, but I do know when a setup is different in a drastic way.

From the desk of Al Nunley
Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.
If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory.
(Al Nunley)

when you say something like this, you're implying I'm trying to get equal weights like a Sprint kart. Which is totally wrong, and you know it. Other than that, the rest your quote was pretty good.

After seeing a 100 or more setups, and putting them into a spreadsheet, (which I've tested, and have found it to be, as accurate as anyone's) you get an idea of what an average setup is. When, on occasion, you see a setup that's drastically different from the average, isn't it okay to say something. Like I've said before, I have no idea on what an LTO setup should be, but I do know when a setup is different in a drastic way.

(Al Nunley)

yes. ... :)

Well.........repeating the same thing over and over again, expecting different results is the definition of insanity. Just saying. LOL :)

If it was loose center off I would say that it is either a bite issue or maybe a little too much rear stagger

Don't take this like I'm recommending getting into a habit of moving the Lt rear a lot as an adjustment, but If I were just little loose off first thing I would try is moving Lt rear in quarter inch and if it helped then pay close attention to drive off the turn and lap times, sometimes it's the cats meow, If it helped handling some but was just a band aid then I'd go elsewhere, off coming out look to the rear of the kart first.

Good Luck !!

I have to disagree! I run setups through my spreadsheet all the time and very seldom see this much weight, percentage wise, on the LR. 40.5% on the LR is significantly different from most setups. When the LR is 191% heavier than the RR, it's way different from most setups.

(Al Nunley)

You can disagree all you want, the fact of the matter is that this is very common.
You say you look at all the set ups that you ran in your spreadsheet, and it differs. Have you thought thats because youre looking at set ups from older style karts, champ karts, and new style karts? Everyone of them takes a completely different set up, did you think of that?
I was trying to help you understand that nowadays this is very common set of percentages.
Actually on a good hard track, you may see 59 left with 70 plus cross.

It keeps the left rear loaded and keeps the frame from over flexing and getting sluggish. Raising the cross keeps the kart good and snappy.

As a guy coming from Sprint and moving into Ovals as well, if you are loose off that means the RR is not gripping/loading right?. With 58L and 67C, maybe your not keeping the RR loaded enough after apex? Kart unloads okay on turn in, but the weight sits right back on that LR after apex. Perhaps taking a half or a whole percent of L, C, or both might help? Then you can fine tune with moving the LR in or out. Just a thought from someone who isn't quite set in their ways yet. Good discussion though, lots of different ways to skin the same cat.

"As a guy coming from Sprint and moving into Ovals as well, if you are loose off that means the RR is not gripping/loading right?"

This is all just me talking about how I look at it, it may or may not be right ... you'll have to decide for yourself.

Coming off means your accelerating and turning. The acceleration and turning is throwing weight to the outside and since you mentioned loose, i'll say it's throwing weight at the RR(outside rear) tire. If your sprint racing you have the LR(inside rear) unloaded, your on the RR and using the front tires >exclusively< to make it turn. Sprint racing there's nothing at all to turn your loaded RR tire, which is trying to roll straight, coming off other then the front tires.

If you see in your mind what I wrote above ok, then move on to my next BS. If you don't then think about it some. ... :)

OK, now that were on the same page with sprints; LTO's don't use their rear tires that way, >IF< there using their rear tires as a LTO with a staggered solid axle, uses the rear tires. With a LTO you have two different size tires in the back and the LR because it's smaller has it's tires surface speed moving slower, then the bigger RR tire. Because of that difference and ONLY because of that difference, if you can weight the LR enough you can use it as an anchor, both going into the apex while your slowing down and coming off the apex while your accelerating. For you to be able to get any turning effort out of your staggered solid axle in the back, you MUST also be able to have the LR tire weighted. If you can't, then your only other option is to unload the LR and use your kart exactly the same as a sprint kart. The only reason to offset a LTO or to have the driver sitting on the LR tire is so you can get function and USE the LR tire, going into the corner, rolling while in the corner and coming out of the corner.

The question I see in your mind is about coming off or apex out if you would like to think about it that way. It nets out to the fronts will have to turn the back, unless there is sufficient weight on the LR to allow it to act as an anchor for the RR, with it's faster surface speed to roll around it. Sure the back tires can be related to a Styrofoam coffee cup and a coffee cup will want to roll in an arc. But there is ONLY one arc a coffee cup will want to roll in. If you try to make that coffee cup roll in any other curved line, something has to slip. When I refer to your staggered solid axle in the back, if you want it to roll in any other direction other then the direction mathematically determined by stagger, one tire or the other or both, MUST SLIP.

Here's your scenario apex out. Going in and through mid corner/apex you have your LR loaded, apex out under acceleration you only need to cause enough weight to go to the RR, so it with it's faster surface speed can out accelerate or roll around the anchored LR. Sometimes you can do it and sometimes you cannot. If you can you will be fast because slip angles will be split between both functioning rear tires, giving you maximum grip with the least rolling resistance. If you can't the amount you can't will be less efficient and you will not be able to get from the apex off as fast, assuming you have limited hp. The more you get on the RR and remove some of the anchor, the more you'll have to use the fronts to turn and again the more of your limited hp you'll eat. Too much on the RR and it's the same as with your sprint racing, you get loose.

You'll see LTO racing slight loose coming off causing a loss of momentum and you'll see snap loose. You can think of the ideal as either being on the ragged edge of loose or the ragged edge of on rails. But always remember coming off sprint racing, you only had the possibility until going straight to be on one rail, LTO racing were on two rails. ... :) and as I said up front, this is all just IMHO and ain't necessairly right anyway. ... :)

thanks for reading my bull

paul

I was trying to help you understand that nowadays this is very common set of percentages.
Actually on a good hard track, you may see 59 left with 70 plus cross.
thank you very much, I appreciate the help, but I wonder; does your software show the weight and percentage difference between the LR and the RR? Or the LF and RF?

Assuming a 360 pound kart and driver, with 46.2% on the front, 59% on the left and 70% cross, the LR would be 149 pounds with a percentage of 41.4%. The RR would be 44.64 pounds with 12.4%. The difference, between the two would be 233.87%.

I have never seen anybody list a set of percentages that radical! I'm not saying it's not possible that somebody is running that setup, I'm just saying I've never seen it.

I have never suggested, to anyone, what percentages they should run. What I do is, if I see something that varies from the norm, I comment on it, explaining to people what I see. Some have suggested that this is wrong, but I don't see it.

If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory. (Al Nunley)

Al, does my post #30, make logical sense with you?

I do feel it is the basis for why a staggered solid axle can be used, as it is used on a LTO racer. I feel it's correct now and preach it as correct, because many racers I feel should know how things work, over many years have told me it is correct. If after so many times of my writing about it on here and I assume you've read it enough already, that if it still does not make logical sense to you, I'll do my best to quit trying to make it understandable to you. There's nothing in my writing now out of anger or anything like it, I'll just quit pestering you personally with it. ... lol, My dry humor is making me say to myself your probably thinking, "it's about time and yes quit preaching it to me". ... :)

I do understand your explaining, your only reporting differences you run across which appear to be out of the norm. I see no problem with doing so. It's up to the reader to do what they want with the information.

I would lower cross a little to help loose off. You will get more help on exit from the rr. 2-3% change is what I would start with.

Wow, I'm glad I stayed out of this one.
I'd be glad to help anyone with set-up information, but this arguing on here gets old.
I wonder how many other intelligent, experienced, veteran racers, chassis manufacturers, tire gurus, etc simply don't bother to post on here any more because of this type of behavior?
Carry on.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Celebrating 25 years of service to the karting industry
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

I'd be glad to help anyone with set-up information, but this arguing on here gets old.
I wonder how many other intelligent, experienced, veteran racers, chassis manufacturers, tire gurus, etc simply don't bother to post on here any more because of this type of behavior?
Carry on.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Celebrating 25 years of service to the karting industry
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

:) :)

???????????????????????????????????????
you say that, and then you pile on more disparaging remarks?? Makes me wonder about you!

???????????????????????????????????????
you say that, and then you pile on more disparaging remarks?? Makes me wonder about you!

Why do you think he's writing about you Al? I'm never 100% sure of anything I write.

As far a behavior goes and my trying to get you to see how a staggered solid LTO axle works, I don't see it as bad behavior. I see it as an exchange of thoughts based on, ... I'm right and your wrong and nanny nanny boo boo, do it my way or don't do it. ... :)

I have to ask you too Brian because of my insecurity about it still, "Does my post #30, make logical sense with you?", about how a staggered solid axle works?

just my dry below the line humor below. ... :)

answer yes: then I'm all happy
answer no: and i'll have to explain it again. ... :)

then you pile on more disparaging remarks??

What is disparaging of my remarks? That I wonder how many folks don't contribute to this thread because of the bickering?

Paul,
I'd love to discuss this with you, but I'm not sure this is the appropriate thread for debate. I thought the purpose and intent of the thread was to answer the OP's question rather than getting into the theoretical debate of one tire over driving the other, slip angles, etc. :)
Debate and deep discussion on chassis dynamics is wonderful in it's time and place.
For what it's worth...I think you discredit yourself by calling your input "BS" in post #30. You are on the right track with your thinking. I like to consider the weight on the LR as a static weight that becomes in motion due to centrifugal force rather than thinking of it as an "anchor." How heavy that corner ("anchor") of the car is, how close to the centerline of the car, roll center, etc. determines how quickly that weight ("anchor") transfers. To go into any more detail would involve a long-haired discussion with undoubtedly continued discussion/explanation, etc. Might even be a disparaging remark or two. ;)

Nose-47.0
Left-56.0
Left front spindle all the way up
Right front spindle all the way down
Right front camber-3 1/2
Left front camber- 0.0
Right front castor- 11.0 pos.
Left front castor-7.0 pos.
Front stagger 1 1/2
Rear stagger 1 1/4

Tires maxxis pinks rights
3/4 ounce lambert blue
3/4 ounce mafia original
Mixed together in a glass container which combined =1 1/2 ounces
Take valve stem out squeeze or push down on tire place a small tube on a small funnel
Then with valve stem to the bottom place funnel on valve stem and pour mix into funnel while relaxing tire
Put valve stem in being careful not to move tire not to splash onto side walls put 10 psi air
Carefully carry to roller and let roll 24 hours do not put anything on the outside

Left rear- straight up nothing on inside

Left front - 1/2 ounce lambert blue and 1/2 mafia original
Roll all tires together at the same time.
Before the bashing starts:
I have been out of karting for a few years. Why?
I am in late model stock cars now, but I have a trophy case full of trophies from karting
And I have been on a lot of different chassis and I can say this though experience.
And have outrun big names in karting on old chassis.
I have come to learn they are all a piece of metal and they all will take the same numbers
Now kart manufactors will not like this post as well as tire guru's that want your money
The only reason I am giving out this secret is I am no longer in this sport after a lot hanging around all the right people. Here is my email just in case someone wants to see if I know what I am talking about.
Wayneshell4@gmail.com

Back