nemesis push

Having a lot of trouble at my saturday track keeping my nemesis from pushing hard on the exit of turn 2. Track has 2 different shaped corners on purpose for better racing and in 3-4 I'm pretty solid. I get a good entry into turn 1 and once I hit the apex the kart wants to take me all the way to the lose stuff on top. Even if I dont go that far I'm always at least a lane and a half higher than where I'd like to run. That's where I'm losing time and positions and its becoming extremely frustrating. Totally different set up this year with the same issue. Running 46 nose 58 left and 67 cross. Maybe take some cross out? Nothing else has made a difference

First I would make sure my tires were right for the situation.
The nemesis will push with that much nose and that much left.
54.5 to 56 left max
44.5 nose
Cross is fine at 67
.75 lf camber
2 3/4 rf camber

Your numbers all sound pretty good to me except for the cross. My o4 won't turn with that much cross. Below 60 and it's all good with the rest of your numbers. I'm sure there are other factors - just sharing how mine behaves.

Dan

I am having same problem with green plate on phenom went from 1 inch rear stagger to 11/2 rear stagger harder compound tire on left rear no push but bad 4 wheel drift went to lower air pressure all around kart looked good but driver lost faith at that point also was at 59.5 cross hard dusty flat track phenom is 04 maybe this will help im gonna try this setup again hopefully will gain some speed hard to do anything with a push but get ran over lol.

mine was always fastest with no rubber on left rear with high cross.....67/69....never a problem with a push

I am having same problem with green plate on phenom went from 1 inch rear stagger to 11/2 rear stagger harder compound tire on left rear no push but bad 4 wheel drift went to lower air pressure all around kart looked good but driver lost faith at that point also was at 59.5 cross hard dusty flat track phenom is 04 maybe this will help im gonna try this setup again hopefully will gain some speed hard to do anything with a push but get ran over lol.

If you are racing at hwy24 you just need more bite in the tires. Anywhere else on the Phenom and you can run a lot more cross than 59.5

lower l/s to 57 to 57.5.... leave the rightside tires alone ad put a harder left rear on.. then hang on

"First I would make sure my tires were right for the situation." Can you elaborate on that? I've tried similiar numbers to what FFK has posted and I've tried completely different numbers. Seems like I can't break a 12.8 second lap. Where the others are running 12.2 and under. Seems like the kid can keep up in the heats but by feature time we can't get out of the way. My only thought is I'm not understanding what I need for tires when the track starts to dry out.

Basically what I meant was if the tires are not right, no matter what the numbers in the kart are, its just not gonna be fast. The kart might look and feel good, but speed will still be an issue.

Make sure your stagger is right. The nemesis does not like high nose at all in my opinion. Put James numbers on it exactly, 1 3/8" front stagger and start at a higher stagger than you have now by 1/4" remember to have the higher stagger on the kart when you scale it out. Then if it's too loose you can just decrease the rear stagger 1/8" at a time.

Well I wish I had good news to report but we ran the same. I played with gear all night with no help. I asked around and got different answers all night. Anywhere from 13/59 to 14/60. I was at 13/56, Then 13/59, then 13/62 and back to 13/59. My other kid in a phenom was on a 14/58, he seemed to have flashes of brillance. Unfortunatly, I don't have a mycron so I don't know who is turning what RPM's. Overall the kart seemed to handle well but we couldn't pick up speed. Current numbers are Front 44.4, Cross 68, Left 54.4. Front Stagger 1 1/4, Rear 1 3/8. I want to recheck front end settings yet since I did make some adjustments at the track. Where do I go from here? I'm starting to feel sorry for the boy. We competed and won the last few years but now I don't know if it's the switch to LO206 from flathead or if it's me. It's not helping any that his younger brother is running on his tail in his first season up from kiddies and his youngest brother is cleaning up in kiddie's. The only one he has bragging rights over is his sister who is in her first kiddie season. The phenom seemed to have flashes this week. He kept up with the top dogs in the heats but then got lapped in the feature. He's currently at 48 Front, 63.3 cross and 52.4 left but I don't think that will work for the Nemi.

Youre all over the place on numbers, its a wonder it even turns. 48 is way too much nose for the Phenom and 52.4 left is too low.
i am guessing jr classes, so for the Nemi put numbers in as what James said earlier, FFK. The Phenom takes different numbers than a Nemi.

Sometimes the answer is Patience plate classes are all about momentum if your little driver does not understand that and is not ready yet to keep it flat footed, yes the kart needs to handle but there's no other adjustment your gonna make to change that, only seat time will cure that.

as far as gearing goes do you know the exact track size / and describe track conditions some.

Running 46 nose 58 left and 67 cross. Maybe take some cross out? Nothing else has made a difference
as you've probably heard, I'm an idiot, or something close to that, and I should never give anybody advice on LTO racing. Still, I have a spreadsheet, and I see things/trends, and I like to compare. With the numbers above, I see a lot of weight on the LR compared to the RR.

It Sprint racing, which I was pretty good at, I had one philosophy; if it's pushing, there's too much rear bite, or not enough front bite, if it's loose, there's too much front bite, or, not enough rear bite. Because there's so little adjustment on a Sprint kart, tread width was one of the main things we used to correct handling problems. Move the seat was big, and adjusting tire pressures was also something we worked with.

Now it's possible, even probable, that I know nothing about LTO racing, but I do know that your percentages, above, are way different from most.

From the desk of Al Nunley
Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.
If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory.
(Al Nunley)

as you've probably heard, I'm an idiot, or something close to that, and I should never give anybody advice on LTO racing. Still, I have a spreadsheet, and I see things/trends, and I like to compare. With the numbers above, I see a lot of weight on the LR compared to the RR.

It Sprint racing, which I was pretty good at, I had one philosophy; if it's pushing, there's too much rear bite, or not enough front bite, if it's loose, there's too much front bite, or, not enough rear bite. Because there's so little adjustment on a Sprint kart, tread width was one of the main things we used to correct handling problems. Move the seat was big, and adjusting tire pressures was also something we worked with.

Now it's possible, even probable, that I know nothing about LTO racing, but I do know that your percentages, above, are way different from most.

From the desk of Al Nunley
Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.
If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory.
(Al Nunley)

This is true for almost all forms of racing. And al is by far from an idiot a lot of stuff transfers over from stuff like sprint to LTO other than we don't turn right. Or at least shouldn't lol.

The eldest(nemi driver) is in his 5th season racing and is now 9. He drives a pretty good line, not perfect but good. We came off of last season 2nd in points and 3rd the year before. Now we look like 7th in points is a dream. Since about July of last year everything has come apart. I was just looking at times and we were running 12.3/12.4 second laps. Starting in July we were running 12.8, Now we are at 13+. The promoter has adjusted the track and pushed the cones out making a wider corner and it seems like since then I can't find the speed. We dropped back and everybody else seemed to hold their speed. Now I'm hunting for anything that may help him. We started the year out on new rear bearings, new clutch, new motor, new gear, new chain. Tires probably have 12 races on them. Track itself is an 1/8th mile, semi-banked track, Dirt Track. You can't really call it a paperclip track, it does have sweeping corners and wide straights. Allowing you to drift out in the straight. Condtions vary anything from wet to dust bowl. Typically spring is wet and tacky and summer is a dust bowl.

The 2nd (phenom driver) is in his third year. His line sucks. It's so different from the kiddie kart line. Yeah, I put a lot of nose in it this week just to see. As expected it was extremely loose but it kept within 3-4 kart lengths of the top karts in his heats. After that I tightened it up with air pressure and he went straight backwards.

Number 3 is running a haase kiddie kart for his 2nd year. He's having 0 issues. Dang near lapped the field this week. He doesn't seem to mind bragging to his older brothers about it. I keep telling him one of these days they are just going to pound him.

The girl is in her first year in a top kart kiddie. She's struggling to figure out the gas pedal. She's getting a little faster each week. She finally passed somebody this week. She found some more speed after that.

Back