New class question.

Price hasn't changed because the Supply and Demand isn't there, IT will if that changes.

I don't know actual numbers, but both supply and demand have increased through our shop over the past 10 years for these engines. Numbers at the sprint tracks have increased tremendously over that time period as well. Numbers on dirt have increased, albeit not nearly as fast as the clone has. It is starting make some ripples though.
Each year, our new 206 sales get stronger, and our rebuilds are off the hook right now. At $135 (parts & labor) for a complete rebuild, it's no wonder.
Personally, we've held the price in check on new engine packages for the past two years simply because we are wanting to promote the class.
Price from the factory has certainly increased (the normal percentage that Briggs typically does I assume.)
Chain guards, throttle kits, air filters, all have had slight price increases since the 206's inception...it all adds up.
After the swap meets and shows (March or so) we'll have to raise our prices some, I'm sure. Until then, we want to help our customers and grow the class as best as we can, even if it means sacrificing a few bucks here and there.

Funny thing is, we're still building plenty of flatheads, (new & used,) and I believe that is a direct result of the clone implosion.

Make NO mistake IF they do take hold EVERYWHERE the price of the Engine will go up.

I really don't see this as a replacement for the clone or animal. There are too many people who live, think, breathe racing and going faster.
At best I see this engine for people who just want to let their young kids race without having to become obsessed with the whole project of racing.
Or people that just want to race and go home. Clean kart and show up next week.

And I believe that the total package from a builder including everything, pipe, muffler,chain guard fuel pump clutch ready to bolt on. with tuning included is about $1,000 And will be ready to race for years without hassle. And the used price of a L206 and resale rate is great. That would be worth it for the Dad who just wants his kid to race or someone like Krtcrn who is prob looking to make it a little simpler to race. Price for everything goes up every year. So I do anticipate prices for L206 to go up. But the cheap price is not the only reason people buy the L206.
By the way Krtrcn I grew up in Shelby.

Warning this post contains opinions, self centered ego and possibly out right lies. so go ahead and give me hello , Cause I just don't care. I realize that I am abrasive as 80 grit.

If you're trying to start - and keep - a low cost / entry level class (such as LO206) you need to keep the words "low cost" in mind. As in, this is a restricted low budget class, and anybody who wants to tinker has to accept being put on a very short leash or they'll need to move up to another class that allows more tinkering. So when your racers start clamoring to be allowed to do this or that, you have to be ready to say "no" (except for safety items) and tolerate the risk that they'll change classes or go elsewhere. In my experience you can run and police a true low budget class and survive the turnover - it's part of the point to get racers to move up once their skills and experience improve, anyway.

Don't forget that costs can get out-of-control with parts other than just the engine. Tire programs in particular can be expensive enough to discourage your entry level racers. So you're going to have to think hard about what else you might restrict.

I've noticed that purse money can kill a low-buck class faster than about anything else. If this class attracts a lot of entrants, and if you pay back based upon entry fees collected, the purse can swell enough to attract the hot dog teams... which can discourage your low buck /entry level racers really quickly. So I suggest that you keep your low-buck class purse low - probably the lowest paying class at the track. Instead of paying back based on entry fees collected, cap the payout at a low level and give the rest of the fees to the track for maintenance and improvements. If you do that then your track should have a vested interest in promoting and running your class.

And hopefully the motor and other (if any) restricted parts you choose will stay stable and available for a long time... be prepared to deal with production changes and questions about interchanging parts among various versions of your engine. You will need tech people who keep up with this stuff.

Back