Plowing

I just said it. Am I no one? I am talking about REAR stagger, Jamie. I never mentioned front stagger. For the most part, I set it at 1 1/2" front and leave it alone (as most chassis mfg'ers recommend as well.) In my previous posts, maybe I wasn't clear enough when I made reference to changes in rear stagger.
So if you have a car or kart "Plowing" first thing you're going to change is stagger?
On A sprint car, I would 100% agree

So if you have a car or kart "Plowing" first thing you're going to change is stagger?
Unless the chassis was all bound up and the racer was totally new to it:

I've never seen a winged sprint car spin out going into a corner.
It's pretty much impossible.

Plowing or not wanting to turn in well, what ever Brian says needs done ... needs done.

On A sprint car, I would 100% agree
I'm talking about a kart. Yes, I would make sure that the rear stagger is correct FIRST.
With a fixed rear axle, the concept is the same though, whether it's a kart or sprint car. More rear stagger will help the car turn.

XXX#40 where did front stagger ever get mentioned ?
Post count thats Funny . I use a bit of discretion. Check under your saddle there may be a burr .

Front or rear stagger?
We are discussing front stagger on entry.
I know you just like to post to keep your post count up
Where's the push?
Center off I agree.1
Doesn't say entry?
Way down the list?
Read the thread I posted.
I guess all those guys are wrong too?
What a joke this site has become.
“What a joke this site has become”

Sharing ideas and thoughts are important, even if they aren’t in agreement with yours. I believe there are two shared common thoughts in this thread, first when referencing stagger, unless front stagger is specified most are referencing rear stagger, second is probably “what an , he has become”

Last edited by a moderator:
XXX#40 where did front stagger ever get mentioned ?
Post count thats Funny . I use a bit of discretion. Check under your saddle there may be a burr .
I mentioned it….. without knowing any of the original guys set up numbers. Our “guesses” is as good as the next guys……. Everyone has their ways of fixing issues. Without having any numbers my first questions are what’s your nose weight or what’s your front stagger?

In other words you are not going to get a chassis to turn into the corner if he is under 1” of stagger. You may get away with it on bigger sweeping corner tracks the next thing I mentioned was nose weight, not enough nose weight the kart won’t turn. Along with if it’s higher than it should be it will push as well which was mentioned above……

I’m not here to argue with anyone as everyone has their own ways of adjusting to their “needs”

And just to add. If the guy is already at an 1 3/4” rear stagger why would you keep adding more to fix an entry issue. That’s why I question it…..

We do not know his set up numbers and obviously doesn’t care much to post them as we all keep bumping his post up to the top…. 🧐

If he thinks it's nose weight just put some ankle weights on and go out for practice. If it's not plowing anymore then add the same amount of weight to the nose. We did that and it worked out well.

Dirt kart 90 posted this .
Dec 19, 2021
Add bookmark
Hi can anyone give me some recommendations on which tire to use on dry slick desert tracks in az thanks.
Maybe , let off the gas .. :giggle:..

Personally, I can’t see how front stagger matters considering the LF and RF roll independently. I put ours at 1.5” and leave it because that seems to be the normal stagger built into the tires.

Increasing Nose weight to me also would only help if someone has about 30~35% nose. Have you ever ridden an ATV with 100#’s of corn in the front? Or pushed a grocery kart with 3 gallons of milk in the front? Both scenarios it PLOWS. Move those items to the rear and it’s a dramatic difference. Kind of like trying to get a muscle car with a steel big block to turn. Adding weight to the nose will only help if you are way under on your %. I try to keep my nose as light as possible.

With out the OP’s numbers there is no way of knowing what to do.

Regarding rear stagger.
I don’t see how rear stagger can’t be important at any point of a turn.

^^^^^ Facts!!!
people equate adding weight (ballast) to adding aerodynamic downforce to gain traction. It is not and will not work the same. its changing direction of mass. Aero downforce does not add mass.

TRUE without current numbers it's a crap shoot, however the title is PLOWING not a minor push, based on that there's no sense in even suggesting a front stagger adjustment.

TRUE without current numbers it's a crap shoot, however the title is PLOWING not a minor push, based on that there's no sense in even suggesting a front stagger adjustment.
So with the OP posting their numbers…. And say he is running 1” of front stagger. You are saying that is not the issue why he is “Plowing……” when all his other numbers are “decent”. For is all we know he could be on a straight rail chassis……

So I beg to differ…..

Every single person who has mentioned what to do is throwing dice in a crap shoot…..even myself…….

So with the OP posting their numbers…. And say he is running 1” of front stagger. You are saying that is not the issue why he is “Plowing……” when all his other numbers are “decent”. For is all we know he could be on a straight rail chassis……

So I beg to differ…..

Every single person who has mentioned what to do is throwing dice in a crap shoot…..even myself…….
Well I usually pretty much agree with your advise say 99.8 % of the time, And for sure different people can get the same results with different methods, what works for some doesn't work for all, but this one we'll have to agree to disagree, other than where you say just throwing dice in a crap shoot. Unless I'm not on the same page you are and your making multiple changes to the tires. But to say a change of ONLY front stagger with the same set of tires, same prep product, amount & method, same air pressures as raced while it was plowing, Ain't gonna cut it regardless if it's an old straight frame , older offset chassis, or newer offset chassis. So I politely ask to differ.....

Well I usually pretty much agree with your advise say 99.8 % of the time, And for sure different people can get the same results with different methods, what works for some doesn't work for all, but this one we'll have to agree to disagree, other than where you say just throwing dice in a crap shoot. Unless I'm not on the same page you are and your making multiple changes to the tires. But to say a change of ONLY front stagger with the same set of tires, same prep product, amount & method, same air pressures as raced while it was plowing, Ain't gonna cut it regardless if it's an old straight frame , older offset chassis, or newer offset chassis. So I politely ask to differ.....

I recommend add front stagger and front %…… without any information from the original OP, I went back to his history of postings and saw that he asked for help on weights as his local track added 15# to the class he is running which btw is super stock on a 1/10th mile. Putting 2 and 2 together and “assuming” he is still running same chassis and same motor he asked where to place the weight. He thought back of the seat…. XXX40 and a few others mentioning putting weights on left and right side of seat… not debatable if chassis is handling like it should it’s where the weights should go.

So long story short like you said which I agree upon most can make different changes and get the results needed to get rid of an issue.

This will be my last post on this topic I feel like we are beating a dead horse with no other information. Good luck to everyone in 2023! As always I love a good debate!

Back