Predator 420 or 459 Rev Limiter???

MTScott

Most threads on this topic are guys asking how to remove a coil RPM rev limiter from an engine... I'm actually hoping to determine if my engine even has one, and if not, how can i add it.

I have a predator 420 currently on a buggy/kart I built for my son. It was purchased new about 3 years ago (maybe 4), and is the hemi head variety. Does anyone know if this came stock with a rev limiting coil and what RPM (or, how I can determine if it DOES have a rev limiting coil), if not, how would I add one? If helpful I can probably find the original part # for the engine.

Also, does the new predator 459 have a built in rev limiting coil? What RPM?

The reason being, I'd like to remove the governor and install a decent carb with a direct throttle linkage. I'd like to do this without having to replace flywheel with a billet one (for safety reasons)... from what I'm told, you don't want the stock flywheel to rev beyond 5K (I'm open to thoughts and opinions on this). I can't trust that my boy won't continue to stand on the throttle once he sees the rpm gauge hit 5K. I also like the built in charging of the stock flywheel (while it isn't much, it is doing the job of keeping the starter battery charged up). I've heard that with the stock springs valve float will limit me to around 5K anyway, but hitting valve float every straight stretch is probably hard on it to,...I would think???

Currently I have the governor throttle springs setup to limit revving around 4K in order to save the plastic gov gear from coming apart (again, another thing I've been told to be wary of).

I'm open to doing an all out build on the 420 and make it a 7K rpm screamer, but if I can just buy a new 459 and take out the governor, that would be a fine upgrade. Another 1000 RPMs and cleaner throttle response would make us happy.

If I have to instal a billet flywheel... I'm going to do the whole build while I'm there (high comp piston, billet rod, head work, valves, springs, etc...), but, we don't need it - I just hate how the governor throttle response works. I'd also need to add an alternator then (which I've already bought), but I'd rather not have to.

Cheers
SL

Last edited:
Msd had a rev limitng unit.
May or may not be cheaper .
You have 12 volts so its possible.

Yeah there are several great options, but they are all made to work with 4-8 cylinders generally. Pertronix makes a reasonably affordable one, but, requires min 4 cylinders.

...the pertronix picks up its signal from coil negative and has a max of I think 9900 rpm, which I suppose could still be used, but I would think on the 4 Cyl setting it would equate to 2475 rpm for a single cylindar (I assume we have one magnet and spark per revolution)... I suppose this could be used on something like a 670 to get near 5K RPM depending on how it's ignition works. If it is a wasted spark system maybe it could be used on the 4 Cyl setting

Last edited:
Some buggy and golf cart engines have an external rev limiter box. It’s pretty crude and knocks the spark off for what seems like two seconds or more. It’s not a CDI box and it works with the regular coil. I can’t remember the RPM it kicks in at exactly, but it was somewhere in the 4,000’s

Last edited:
Back