Predator practice engine.

Ekite

Was wondering from some of the predator experts what I would have to do to get a stock predator ready for my grandson to put on a Jr. champ just to get some laps in late this fall. He will have to run a green plate clone engine in our area next year if we race so I would like to get him some seat time this fall before next year if I can and have to purchase a full out race motor. Would the Predator be fast enough to give him a good feel for what the kart needs to feel like. He is totally new to dirt racing.

If you don't want to get into the internals just unhook the governor and re-jet the carb to a 32 or 33 main jet and 22 to 23 low speed jet. Put on a weenie pipe and take off the stock filter and replace with k and n style with adapter. Then put him on a gear that will keep it below 5500 rpm for the track you're at. May also want to change the stock valve springs if you want to get your hands oily! If your into opening the case send me a pm and I'll be glad to help you with other improvements.

If you don't want to get into the internals just unhook the governor and re-jet the carb to a 32 or 33 main jet and 22 to 23 low speed jet. Put on a weenie pipe and take off the stock filter and replace with k and n style with adapter. Then put him on a gear that will keep it below 5500 rpm for the track you're at. May also want to change the stock valve springs if you want to get your hands oily! If your into opening the case send me a pm and I'll be glad to help you with other improvements.

What is stated here will give him plenty to get some seat time. I will add. Unplug the low oil sensor on the front of the engine so it won't kill it in the turns. Guys in the sealed predator class here are turning them 5600-5800 with stock airbox...Have Fun and Take Care....

We have been playing with these on a friends track for two years now. This will be plenty for a kid, but leave the low oil sensor hooked up. I have never seen one shut off an engine that wasnt low on oil. We have 4 or 5 at a time running almost every Friday and Saturday. Just for safety and who cares for what your doing.

We have been playing with these on a friends track for two years now. This will be plenty for a kid, but leave the low oil sensor hooked up. I have never seen one shut off an engine that wasnt low on oil. We have 4 or 5 at a time running almost every Friday and Saturday. Just for safety and who cares for what your doing.

I guess it depends on how tight of turns or amount of G-force. I just didn't want him to be trying to figure out why the engine is dying in the corners if it does kick it out. May be fine. Take Care Everybody. Keep Safe

Thanks all I was just wanting to make sure the stock flywheel would be safe and not be like it is on a clone and have to be replaced. Im an older racer who ran all flathead stuff but know nothing about newer style engines so will have to learn as I go. Waynesville I am just across the mountains from you about 25 minutes from Newport TN.

Thanks all I was just wanting to make sure the stock flywheel would be safe and not be like it is on a clone and have to be replaced. Im an older racer who ran all flathead stuff but know nothing about newer style engines so will have to learn as I go. Waynesville I am just across the mountains from you about 25 minutes from Newport TN.

Purpose built flywheel is always a sensible option, but if you keep the stock one under 5800 you should be will be OK.

ran all flathead stuff but know nothing about newer style engines so will have to learn as I go. Waynesville I am just across the mountains from you about 25 minutes from Newport TN.

I was in the same boat a couple years ago. Quit karting in 04 when flatheads were over $1200. I've been learning the in and outs of the clones and enjoying it. Building my own motors to keep cost down. If you need any help give me a holler we're close enough that you could stop by anytime. I've got several predator motors we've run in the SPG class and I'd be glad to let your grandson give one a try or help you work on yours.

I was in the same boat a couple years ago. Quit karting in 04 when flatheads were over $1200. I've been learning the in and outs of the clones and enjoying it. Building my own motors to keep cost down. If you need any help give me a holler we're close enough that you could stop by anytime. I've got several predator motors we've run in the SPG class and I'd be glad to let your grandson give one a try or help you work on yours.

That, right there is the only thing that will keep this alive.
Kudoes DirtRacer7
And good luck to you and your grandson Sir........Making Memories.....

What mods would give the most hp to this engine for $200-$300 that are fairly easy to do? Also what hp gains could be expected?

Thank you sir for the gracious offer. We have had an unexpected death in our close family so as soon as we get everything taken care of on that front I will try to get him a chassis. He will most likely be running at dumplin valley and Ashway in E Tenn. so both of them being pretty big fast tracks I am wanting to start him out in a champ so that he may not get hurt and scared too soon if he ends up on his head early in racing. Racing now is nothing like it was 15 years ago when I got out of it that's for sure. Thanks again and I will for sure be in contact when we get started hopefully.

We run a class with stock predators less governor, using stock exhaust and airbox, and they are almost as fast as unrestricted flatties on alcohol. We learned the hard way about disconnecting the low oil sensor, when the entire feild of karts cut out at exactly the same spot on the first pace laps of our new series. We spin these motors to about 5600, and haven't had a failure of any kind yet

Ekite, both Dumplin Valley and Ashway are stock preditor classes only. All you are allowed to do is drill the cap,unhook the oil sensor. The motor can not turn over 5500 rpm on the stand full throttle as raced. P.S. it might be quiet but those motors are fast and fun. Get a hemi head one, they are a little better. If you want one race ready with throttle kit and chain guard I have one . With a 3 race old drum clutch 190.00

Dirt racer have got the kart for grandson finally I have a ultramax element kart and bought a clone engine from a local racer friend with a spare pipe and extra carb. So in the next few weeks will be getting it ready to get some laps in this winter for him if I can. Like you I am going to have to learn the engines as I go so I can build on my own to save some costs when I can. My phone number is 423-585-7006 so I may try to get in touch with you one weekend and bring my engine over for you to look at to show me what else I might need to do that I may have missed if you have the time.

That sounds good. I got a bunch of spare parts and tools. Your welcome to any of it if it would help. Ill be around most weekends in January. 828-734-fifteen 57. Jon Quinn

Thanks I will be in touch after the holidays are over like I told you before have no previous experience with ohv motors at all they are completely new to me. Thanks.

B Giles would you have any idea what gearing that would be used at Ashway or Dumplin Valley to stay under the 5500 level? I have a new predator that I am putting together for a practice engine for the grandson on his Champ and was just wondering about gearing since we do not have a tach yet. Total weight of him and the champ will be around 300 -320 I would imagine. Thanks for any help you can give me if you would know gearing for these type engines.

Back