Prep during week, but no prep at the track.

We can prep tires during the week, but once at the track, there is no preping. A short 1/15 mile flat, farm dirt oval. Dry, hard, slightly dusty, we use calcium in our water. What would be a recommendation for tire prep?

That's a thought. Being able to prep at home but not at the track. One of the tracks here was running a box stock predator with grooved tires and supposedly no prep.
I wish all tracks did that. Might give some of us non tire guys a better chance if you can't do anything to the tires at the track except wash them. I am sure the tire guys have it figured out though.

There are many tire preps that work when prepped early in the week. Most are mineral spirit based and are applied in layers rather than pounding it in at the track like is often done with harsh preps.

Our Black Bite 2.0 is a good choice. It will add bite (more coats = more bite) but will not soften.
If you need bite AND softening, then our Monster Bite works very well (each coat drops duro 2-3 points.)

If you have ANY questions about our preps or tire program, please give us a call at the shop during normal business hours.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
www.youtube.com
34 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Dry hard and dusty you want Track Tac tire wash, track claw etc. tell em your just washing your tires lol. burn it in with a touch 15 min before you hit the track or when they will have cooled down before the race. set your pressure tell the what prep lol

Can you wash tires with straight water or can you add a detergent? If you can add a detergent I would suggest a tire wash solution or simple green in the water. If you have prepped during the week I have found a wash with simple green brings the prep to the surface of the tire and feels like you have just prepped the tires once dry.

Would tracktac black sand work well.
TT BS will work if you give it enough time to cure in the tire. 10-14 days ahead of race day is best in my opinion.
Some folks cut Black Sand with a variety of other chemicals (some to dry it quicker, some to dilute it, some add harsh chemicals to add more bite.)
There are better alternatives for sure that will work much quicker. Again, my opinion. In racing, if you ask 10 guys, you'll get 11 opinions.

Would tracktac black sand work well.
Yes it would. Any time you arent wanting to soften a tire but only add grip Black Sand will work well. I know we recommend the cure time like Carlson said but to be honest Ive always used it the week of.

After I use the Black Sand during the week, on race day, do I wash the tires off each time I come off the track, or do I just leave them alone?

Dry hard and dusty you want Track Tac tire wash, track claw etc. tell em your just washing your tires lol. burn it in with a touch 15 min before you hit the track or when they will have cooled down before the race. set your pressure tell the what prep lol
cant do that seeing I am the president of our club and the race promoter! There are only about 12 of us.

seems odd looking for an advantage when its your rules. I never think it's fair when the person running the show has a stake in the race. and now that you're hip to using tire wash as an aid its gonna be scrutinized. to each his own. I can see why there is so few

The track I race at you can’t wash the tires once you enter the gate and the tires you hit the track with for hot laps are the tires you run the entire night. A lot of people griped about it in the beginning but we’re having some of the most competitive racing we’ve ever had.

seems odd looking for an advantage when its your rules. I never think it's fair when the person running the show has a stake in the race. and now that you're hip to using tire wash as an aid its gonna be scrutinized. to each his own. I can see why there is so few
Although I am the president of our club, I am still a competitor. I am not looking for an advantage any more than any of the others who race in our club. Our club set the rules. not just me. For the tires, they simple, you cant prep at the track. You can wash them off with water. My simple question was, if you wash them in between heats/feature, will washing them effect the pre-prep. And as far as so few racers, we only wanted about 12 to 16 because our facility is so small.

After I use the Black Sand during the week, on race day, do I wash the tires off each time I come off the track, or do I just leave them alone?

If you cant wash them with anything but water and cant prep them Id just leave them dirty unless you want the extra work.

I watched two brothers one night at at a race here. One of them was having chain trouble and didn't get to do anything to his tires. The other one got to clean and prep his and I am sure he knows what he is doing. Both are good racers. In the feature the one that didn't do anything to his tires smoked the other one. When he went on the track they still have dirt on them. Maybe it was just a fluke.
Personally I hate they ever started this tire prepping stuff. It was so much fun back in 94 when I started. Had a Briggs Raptor and grooved tires and we dirt tracked raced. Ran three and four wide. Threw it in the turn like a dirt track car.
Now if your not a tire prepper you probably don't stand a chance. Just my two cents worth.

I watched two brothers one night at at a race here. One of them was having chain trouble and didn't get to do anything to his tires. The other one got to clean and prep his and I am sure he knows what he is doing. Both are good racers. In the feature the one that didn't do anything to his tires smoked the other one. When he went on the track they still have dirt on them. Maybe it was just a fluke.
Personally I hate they ever started this tire prepping stuff. It was so much fun back in 94 when I started. Had a Briggs Raptor and grooved tires and we dirt tracked raced. Ran three and four wide. Threw it in the turn like a dirt track car.
Now if your not a tire prepper you probably don't stand a chance. Just my two cents worth.
Sounds like the one got his too soft and overworked for the feature

Back