Price gouging and shortages have taken the fun away

Its not at all about money its 100% principal! We are front runners and i about guarantee our equipment is as nice and definitely cleaner than most. We see it on here every day people asking $300 for mychron 4’s and $600 plus for rims and tires its ridiculous. No way our sport can sustain these numbers and have a future with new people coming in.
When there are shortages people are going to think what they have is gold. We too race Burris. We have yet to buy a new set of tires and are front runners as well. We ( my son and I) are still up front with 2015-16 date codes. The prices now are more than likely going to stay that way if not go up more. Those new to karting racers are going to pay those ridiculous prices because they think they need the best of the best to be up front when it's really maintaining your equipment and seat time. Also what's the difference for paying 600 for some take offs vs buying a new set cut for 450+. Then you gotta figure the preps involved to be up front and the knowledge of when to use those said preps/ tires. My dad always told me you are only as good as your equipment and your equipment is only as good as you are.

Its not at all about money its 100% principal! We are front runners and i about guarantee our equipment is as nice and definitely cleaner than most. We see it on here every day people asking $300 for mychron 4’s and $600 plus for rims and tires its ridiculous. No way our sport can sustain these numbers and have a future with new people coming in.
I hope you understand that I'm not trying to put your program down. I understand that it can be frustrating as compared to years past but it's not as bad as some make it out to be. I simply don't feel anybody has an unfair advantage over me when it comes to product availability. If the bigger teams put in the work to have items available to them then I guess I need to do the same. In fact I do overbuy and sell to folks that don't have the know how or want to do it on their own. I don't make a killing but make enough to cover the shipping costs of my initial order. Most people that buy from me want to know how I find the items. I tell them how I do it (judging from a previous post most people don't find popular) and they say that's too much work or risk so they'd rather buy a bit extra. It's a win for them and a win for me.

Do I see Mychron 4's listed at $300? I sure do, but I also see them closer to $200. As I said above kart shops had wheels for weeks. Palmetto limited the quantity you could buy each week but allowed customers to buy every week. They didn't jack the prices way up and allowed anyone that was ready to purchase to buy wheels. I paid about $62 a tire last year and they're $65 this year. Not bad considering the price of everything else.

I'm commenting on your post in an effort to help offer a solution or at least offer some hope that we're not doomed. Kart racing in my area (KY & TN) is very competitive. It has burned some of my friends out and that helped me along the way and have left karting to race big cars. I'm not looking to argue but wanted to share my point of view. Best of luck this season.

This year is already shaping up to be a wash. Bigger teams are hoarding all the new burris tires and rims and it seems those that do make out people are asking astronomical prices for. Really taking the fun out of the sport knowing when tires are the most important thing its what we cant get. Showing up to be a field filler is not fun in my book.
Simple solution... open tire rule! besides, I personally like tires that hold air... Maybe I'm weird, but there's enough to do to keep up a-1 maintenance on karts, why chase tires daily?

While that may be true in your neck of the woods but not around here. If you don’t have proper burris tires you are a field filler. Extremely competitive at all the tracks we go to and if we can’t at least show up knowing you have a chance to win to me there’s no sense in going. I don’t show up to run 2nd we are there to win and with the way things are right now that’s just not possible. Maybe that’s selfish but thats my thoughts.
Doesn't matter where you go there is only one winner, so if you feel like that you will feel like a field filler every time you don't win, and I am sure that doesn't matter who you are you are not gonna win everytime you race, not even 50% of the times you race. By the way you'll hardly find a more competitive area for racing dirt ovals that the one i live, the Carolinas and GA.

I hope you understand that I'm not trying to put your program down. I understand that it can be frustrating as compared to years past but it's not as bad as some make it out to be. I simply don't feel anybody has an unfair advantage over me when it comes to product availability. If the bigger teams put in the work to have items available to them then I guess I need to do the same. In fact I do overbuy and sell to folks that don't have the know how or want to do it on their own. I don't make a killing but make enough to cover the shipping costs of my initial order. Most people that buy from me want to know how I find the items. I tell them how I do it (judging from a previous post most people don't find popular) and they say that's too much work or risk so they'd rather buy a bit extra. It's a win for them and a win for me.

Do I see Mychron 4's listed at $300? I sure do, but I also see them closer to $200. As I said above kart shops had wheels for weeks. Palmetto limited the quantity you could buy each week but allowed customers to buy every week. They didn't jack the prices way up and allowed anyone that was ready to purchase to buy wheels. I paid about $62 a tire last year and they're $65 this year. Not bad considering the price of everything else.

I'm commenting on your post in an effort to help offer a solution or at least offer some hope that we're not doomed. Kart racing in my area (KY & TN) is very competitive. It has burned some of my friends out and that helped me along the way and have left karting to race big cars. I'm not looking to argue but wanted to share my point of view. Best of luck this season.

Some solid points in this response. We got spoiled for years being able to walk in almost any kart shop and buy anything you needed.

(Some stuff you didn't need but had to have lol)

Those days are behind us and now you gotta work hard to get your equipment sometimes.

In a dream world folks would drive better because it cost more to fix it but that ain't happening

I comp
I complained about a "Burris only tire rule" in a facebook group for a track, and got ridiculed by one of their top drivers for even considering the use of a different tire with availability. Meanwhile, the track in the area that use Maxxis has been having record numbers. Me as a new driver this year REALLY has an issue even getting started.

Correct but I can spend time with my parents at home...there is a saying, I just race for fun...winning is fun. I dont go out there to finish 3rd every race. Yes it is a whole lot better than a school day or day at work but still 1st is where I have my headset every time I sit down and strap my helmet. The moment they push the button on the starter to spend over the motor or pull the cord I have one thing on my mind...WINNNNNNN!!!!!!!! There is a lot more to racing than winning which is what I like but when I go to the track I focus on winning.

Correct but I can spend time with my parents at home...there is a saying, I just race for fun...winning is fun. I dont go out there to finish 3rd every race. Yes it is a whole lot better than a school day or day at work but still 1st is where I have my headset every time I sit down and strap my helmet. The moment they push the button on the starter to spend over the motor or pull the cord I have one thing on my mind...WINNNNNNN!!!!!!!! There is a lot more to racing than winning which is what I like but when I go to the track I focus on winning.
Same here, only Im 50 yrs old going into this weekend ready to Win my local Stock Appearing race. And trust also when my engine gets cranked over, it gets looked at from the by standers... But, If I dont win I wont give 2 craps. I will say Im going in to this race with my kart set with my primary engine, but have my back-up ready. Both with Carlson Motorsports 3 disc cutches. And a Few a few, :) only sets of Vegas prepped right where they need to be, also Carlson Motorsports materiel. But again racing for FUN and with Buddies in the same class. And they are loaded for bear too.

Last edited:
There are alot of good points in this thread. I wish people outside of this forum could see this.

Ladies and Gentlemen, my best solution, open tire rules, no prep, wet race tracks. Run whatever tire you think is best, or can afford. No prep means a savings of $3-400 per year, which is an extra set of tires or other parts. Take samples, and send them in. No slack.

End the predator classes. Period. Full stop. Replace them with the Lo206 and tech hard.

We need solutions that the whole industry can get behind otherwise the whole industry suffers. It is simple business. If everyone is on the same rules, then all suppliers will be selling items to fit those rules, prices become competitive, and the racer pays the bill.

If you don't like the prices of your track, take a stand. Nothing speaks louder than the bottom line. Don't like that their pit space costs money? Don't pay it, don't race there. Make your decisions with the almighty dollar.

Those are my best solutions. My personal crusade would be to end prepping. No chemicals, no smell forever in the walls of your shop, no wives pissed that all of your clothes smell like a chemical plant, reducing the already life long dangers of our sport, no more wondering or complaining about which prep works best where. Yes I realize that I am talking about getting rid of a somewhat major part of our sport, and many local shops would be hurting for a while, but the long term benefit to the sport would make up for it in my opinion.

I think most all of what tracks get from forcing racers to pay thru the nose for speck tires, goes to year end awards.
Year end awards are a money maker banquet with hype, bull a showy pile of tires, a bunch of spend your life savings discount coupons, money thrown into the kitty all year long out of racers pockets and run of the mill cheap eats.
Plus many or even most now force you to buy a ticket, sucking more out of your pocket book, to get what you already paid for all year long.

Welcome Racers to our last chance of the season to get money from you and for us to get some feel good doing it.

banquet=money maker

There are alot of good points in this thread. I wish people outside of this forum could see this.

Ladies and Gentlemen, my best solution, open tire rules, no prep, wet race tracks. Run whatever tire you think is best, or can afford. No prep means a savings of $3-400 per year, which is an extra set of tires or other parts. Take samples, and send them in. No slack.

End the predator classes. Period. Full stop. Replace them with the Lo206 and tech hard.

We need solutions that the whole industry can get behind otherwise the whole industry suffers. It is simple business. If everyone is on the same rules, then all suppliers will be selling items to fit those rules, prices become competitive, and the racer pays the bill.

If you don't like the prices of your track, take a stand. Nothing speaks louder than the bottom line. Don't like that their pit space costs money? Don't pay it, don't race there. Make your decisions with the almighty dollar.

Those are my best solutions. My personal crusade would be to end prepping. No chemicals, no smell forever in the walls of your shop, no wives pissed that all of your clothes smell like a chemical plant, reducing the already life long dangers of our sport, no more wondering or complaining about which prep works best where. Yes I realize that I am talking about getting rid of a somewhat major part of our sport, and many local shops would be hurting for a while, but the long term benefit to the sport would make up for it in my opinion.
Tire prepping is the way people that have entire weeks to prepare for a race run out front. No prep needs to be a thing again

While no-prep would be nice it is way easier said than done. First off there are many preps that are made to be undetectable and so that is one thing you would have to worry about. Next is that tire prep samples would cost the track money and the tracks are already raising prices and stuff just to stay open to run on the weekends so that is another thing the track would have to fork out money for. Also, correct me if I am wrong but I believe siping a tire is required to send prep samples off. These tires are already so thin that I am pretty sure if we did that the tire would be junk. No prep would be amazing but in this day of age is it really realistic? I mean I think no prep is a thing of the past unless it is a treaded tire. I think we are too deep into tire prep to stop doing that stuff anymore. It would be nice but I think it is unrealistic to go away with tire prep.

I have to agree with others that big teams hoarding all the tires is definitely hurting karting. Burris and kart shops need to do a better job of spreading limited stuff around. As mentioned earlier, palmetto tried to be fair on their limited stuff. They didn't price gouge, they limited quantities on what you can buy and spread stuff around. I have always been a "burris" tire rule advocate because their tires are not 1 race and done tires but not anymore. Those with access to tires are buying them all up, running them a few races (taking a portion of the speed out of them) and then selling them at almost new cost. Buying used tires at 90-100% cost is foolish. You will have a hard time winning against the top teams on the tires they sold you.

Racing weather it's NASCAR, GOKARTS, or BELT SANDERS, has never been a participant trophy sport so get over it and go race and have Fun.I done I'm going racing later Chuck as soon as I finish pulling weeds.

How about race within your means .
Trust me i have bought new tires for the kart , while needing tires for the truck .
If your racing against the big teams with gobs of tires , don't : go somewhere else .
series racing or money racing is a no profit thing . its all about enjoyment and the love of the competition .

Back