Q98 pipe

zipracing

Never used a q98 on any thing wondering if it would be a good pipe for newer 100cc reed jets i just picked one up iame dark head Finns on case set up for alky with 191 tillotson and axle clutch going to be used on short dirt tracks also have a rs2 seeing if either is good set up for it or what is best pipe for it

If the motor has stock port work, the 98 will work well. 9 1/2 ish on the flex.

Never used a q98 on any thing wondering if it would be a good pipe for newer 100cc reed jets i just picked one up iame dark head Finns on is ecase set up for alky with 191 tillotson and axle clutch going to be used on short dirt tracks also have a rs2 seeing if either is good set up for it or what is best pipe for it

IMHO - That Q98 is exactly the pipe I'd run with a 181 tillotson (alky atomized if possible) or a 29mm ibea type slide carbe (alky atomized if possible) on short dirt tracks. The 191 IMHO would be a bit much & blubbery on that track vs the 181. I'd go with a butter fly carbe of same size on a sprint track not withstanding other unknown factors. I believe the Q98 works best on exactly what u have or a late 100cc Rotary especially for a mild to middle open ported engine. For a FULL OPEN ported 100cc Reed/Rotary I'd lean to a RLV Pro 80 or ultimately a KB-01 (if u could find one). There's more considerations of Petrol for crisper out of the corner pop w/o alky bog but u wouldn't have the straight power u had with the alky either. JMHO

I have a 196a could have converted and a couple of 34mm mikuni alky carbs also the engine came in buy out did not get any good info on it this the first newer style I bought assume not totally stock unless they come with front transfer port higher than 2 side ones not sure how stock 3 port exhaust looks also heights of each pretty good knoweldge of older engines just have not seen enough of new style will go with q98 for now keep eye out for other the pipes

I have a 196a could have converted and a couple of 34mm mikuni alky carbs also the engine came in buy out did not get any good info on it this the first newer style I bought assume not totally stock unless they come with front transfer port higher than 2 side ones not sure how stock 3 port exhaust looks also heights of each pretty good knoweldge of older engines just have not seen enough of new style will go with q98 for now keep eye out for other the pipes

IMHO - Zip u ask for member advice. We are gracious enough to spend OUR TIME to give it free and then u reply with a slap in the face. So Why ask the advice and then publicly ignore it when u could say nothing ? U were advised that was the correct pipe & ur 34mm were too big for that engine on that small track and to drop down a carbe size to a 29mm. It was a slap in the face to me. I'm done. There's too many who value and starve for the time and money saving experience/advice. Then again its' early on a Sunday, I haven't had my coffee, my morning lov'n and I'm a cranky old fart w/o patience for those who won't listen. : P

Last edited:
I've found that my Tilly 360-C duals work far better than a 34 Makuni, with spray ring, .on a 100c.c. engine, have used on a TT-25 and a K-55.

Sorry if my questioned offended any was not trying to thought a 181 was 34mm also why I asked about mikuni and tilly 196A ran a open atomic pcr with a mikuni alky carb for a season so thought of 34mm carb being to big for 100cc engine did not cross my mind I not raced in about 5 years last ran was mostly all big old 135cc engines so I am only trying catch up to present times and have good set up when get back out there this year

Will check it out looks like q98 will work now all I need is for the winter that won't end to go away headed out to snow blow again so ready for summer

Sorry if my questioned offended any was not trying to thought a 181 was 34mm also why I asked about mikuni and tilly 196A ran a open atomic pcr with a mikuni alky carb for a season so thought of 34mm carb being to big for 100cc engine did not cross my mind I not raced in about 5 years last ran was mostly all big old 135cc engines so I am only trying catch up to present times and have good set up when get back out there this year
The question was fine it was the reply. There is no wrong way. Only a better way. And that's decided on the track. And don't always believe what u read. Try it. Learn it. Do it. Compare/Race it. WIN & KNOW IT. Period End. - JMHO ;P

Last edited:
I've found that my Tilly 360-C duals work far better than a 34 Makuni, with spray ring, .on a 100c.c. engine, have used on a TT-25 and a K-55.

IMHO - I believe there's a significant improvement/gain of performance & efficiency of a billet cup atomizer upgrade vs. the ring atomizer upgrade vs. the perforated spigot sprinkler type upgrades. The billet cup atomizer however is easily more than double the cost & machining hours of the latter two carbe upgrades. Nothing has changed either in that U get what u pay for & speed costs money. With that said a cup atomized 34mm Mikuni or ibea/dap slider may change your opinion Jack, but that will cost dearly but it's a whole new ball game after that, bc u can't get any closer to MFI other than a "Poor Man's MFI" i..e. a billet cup atomizer alky carbe - JMHO :p

IMHO - I concur that the 34mm carbe is flows way too much carbe for a TT-25 and K-55 100c.c. engines UNLESS EXTENSIVELY ported on alky with high compression on a big track. - JMHO

IMHO - I do concur in part that the 22.25mm Tilly 360-Cn duals work well & very good with respect to---> fuel misting delivery spray with a responsive snappy throttle BUT I feel there are concerning issues with airflow volume & one carbe drips inefficiently while the other functions normally with the current manifold orientational set-ups. As I eluded in a previous post, that's all going to be remedied with a new custom machined RAM Y manifold that will position the carbes to function efficiently in their Correct orientation, gravitational, & airflow position allowing for actual DUAL BOTH INDEPENDENT carbe adjustment of all 4 needles while racing. It will be a MAJOR not minor over all performance improvement - JMHO :p

Last edited:
The Q98 is a gas pipe......you can find significant gains by running the correct pipe to match to your alcohol setup.....like 5 or so hp.
The KBL is designed for higher rims (over wind capabilities) but I don't have experience with it on smaller engines. You need to contact Kermit Buller to know what is best. I ran KB06 pipes for years. I always wanted a pipe with better over wind though. I'm told the KBL addresses that.
Mike

I can remember a day when I use to get upset when people didn’t take my advice. After all, I’m a Leo, there are Leos and those that want to be. (From a book called Sun Signs.)
It was hard for me. I just couldn’t understand it, after all, I was winning races, I must know what I’m talking about, …right! But I learned. It didn’t come easy. Even to this day it doesn’t come easy!!!!
One thing about opinions…………………… you know the rest of it.
Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.
If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory.

The 191 IMHO would be a bit much & blubbery on that track vs the 181.
I don’t understand, “a bit much”, in what way? By “blubbery”, do you mean rich? And if it does mean rich, why couldn’t you just adjust the the needles? And when you say, “that track”, in what way is that track any different from other tracks?

Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.
If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory.

Just spoke with Kermit and wanted to let all know if yeti racing gives a response he knows what he is talking about may have worded my response from him wrong which not intended and was not going against what he said only realizing needed to know more about what I have to know what i need to get for it to run correctly and according to Kermit the q98 is fine with alky or gas more based on exhaust port timing if it modified a kbo6 would be better stock q98 would be better far as carb he said duals would be best and a atomized carb would be ok could get by with it and a big carb as is would be really blubbery or really rich low side to running out of fuel top end say big single cant really pass enough alky so I am sending it out to Buller he is going to go thru it check port timing see what i actually have and may be getting some duals as well thanks guy all info you gave really got me headed in right direction

The Q98 is a gas pipe......you can find significant gains by running the correct pipe to match to your alcohol setup.....like 5 or so hp.
The KBL is designed for higher rims (over wind capabilities) but I don't have experience with it on smaller engines. You need to contact Kermit Buller to know what is best. I ran KB06 pipes for years. I always wanted a pipe with better over wind though. I'm told the KBL addresses that. Mike

Mike IMHO - I disagree with a 5hp gain or even less than 25% of that gain. Set that mild engine up with a 24mm brioni/ibea/triton/hubchen/tilly 360a on gas or modified alky on a tight track or possibly a messaged walboro 1.050 w3ba on a wot oval or if the engine has a little port work & ehaust port timing & some cut pistons & 9cc combustion chamber & a little case porting U might want try a atomized ibea/ 29mm carbe a atomized 380 modified. I believe u'll find the Q 98 to work just fine with a stock to super stock or even mild open gas or alky late triple port design 100cc reed/rotary & quite possibly same same for up to 116 cc - JMHO

Last edited:
Back