qualifying tires verses race tires

Like everyone has said, qualifying tires usually have about an ounce- two ounces more than race tires so they can fire off in the two laps. If anyone knows about the prep its Benji22 because he sells it

Sorry for my terminology of deeper tires. It's only means more internal prep. Example; if ideal track conditions were 75F with a calcium race track and the ideal tire was a 75cc tire for a 20 lap main to get your best lap around lap 10 to 12 then you may use a deeper 100 to 120 tire to get the fastest lap in lap 3. This isn't always the case especially around the south since our tracks peak when we qualify in the sun and race at night.

"This isn't always the case especially around the south since our tracks peak when we qualify in the sun and race at night."
Can you expand upon this statement for what is best in the Southeast?

We seem to be decently fast in qualifying but go straight to the rear in the feature...

Owenracing9 what prep are using? Track? What are you doing in qualifying versus mains? Many issue can cause you to qualify good and go straight to back.

"This isn't always the case especially around the south since our tracks peak when we qualify in the sun and race at night."
Can you expand upon this statement for what is best in the Southeast?

We seem to be decently fast in qualifying but go straight to the rear in the feature...
Need to go with tires with more internal or wipe the tires you have more aggressively.
Also, air is usually dropped as well from qualifying to feature time.

Have you ever checked the air density change. Whenever I've been at a race that went from late afternoon to early evening, there was a big change in air density. Many scoff at the need for an air density gauge, but I'll guarantee you, if there was no need, there would be no supply.

From the desk of Al Nunley
Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.
If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory.(Al Nunley

Need to go with tires with more internal or wipe the tires you have more aggressively.
Also, air is usually dropped as well from qualifying to feature time.

Yes, Chris the main place we run is Liberty that is kicking our tail in the features!

Earl:
My assumption was that in the features we needed a harder tire (and sometimes more air) than in qualifying since we're obviously running more laps and the tire will heat up more.
I guess on the flip side we have the issue of the track getting water between qualifying and features, likewise, as Benjii22 said we qualify during hottest part of the day, then run features after sun has set (and even at night).

I am inferring we drop duro??
as opposed to wiping more aggressive with a prep that gives bite, but does not lower durometer

I really appreciate all the input/advice from you guys who I know are experts!
(My son really appears to be turning the corner on his driving, now if his dad (me) could just give him something to work with he would at least stand a chance ... )

Usually features you either need same duro, or softer, very rarely harder. If youre wiping with a prep that doesnt drop duro, it better be a very good track, but as you say they water it, which requires a drop of duro, and less air.

BT,

Give me a call this week.

You are constantly chasing the track at Liberty because as soon as it gets good they water it and put calcium on it.

Sorry for my terminology of deeper tires. It's only means more internal prep. Example; if ideal track conditions were 75F with a calcium race track and the ideal tire was a 75cc tire for a 20 lap main to get your best lap around lap 10 to 12 then you may use a deeper 100 to 120 tire to get the fastest lap in lap 3. This isn't always the case especially around the south since our tracks peak when we qualify in the sun and race at night.

Using pink magic how woud you prep the outside of the tire for qualifying? This is on a high bite calcium track around 5pm.

Idk about y'all boys but just saying, I'm a poor boy and idc what makes you faster or whatever. But I use Goat Pee before every time I go out. For heat and feature. It's never let me down. Has got me 2 top 5 finishes at a track running my first two times. And I think it's a really good prep. I also only run one set of tires that haven't been rolled or anything. Good ol Maxxis. Just go with whatever prep is comfortable with you and one that apperently is cheaper if your me �� good luck to getting faster

Qualify at 3 in the afternoon , race at 7, 8 , 9 , 10 , 11 at night , lots of variables , kart count high i think you could race same tire qualify on , kart count 180 to 200 , maybe have a more agressive tire. Depends on what time track starts maintenance between qualifying and race. Just some thoughts .

TWR

Back