Questionable perception...(ie; cylinder heads)

without going through the "kill a dead horse" thing....the LO206 may be a good engine, but at $500.00 + for one, i find this to be counter productive to keep costs down. i won't belabor the issue of what is best or who shot Kenedy because just as you can't convince me that people won't tamper with the seals, i won't be able to convince you that it's a failed attempt to corner the market the way that the flathead was years ago. if it was such a great motor and the next best thing since sliced toast, then why isn't the class out numbering all the other motors and motor combinations out there is kart racing land? because they aren't the answer....

just sayin....

oh....and i'll buy a predator for $99.00, add a race cam like a cl2, flywheel, piston/rod and do some head work and still be under the cost of the LO206 ...

yes....power is developed in the head and head work is almost a must for any class other than a box stock class. but to do it right, you have to be ready to beef up what you have...

Step outside the box with me for a moment. FH and small clones, briggs, and others have a lot in common. Turning a lot more HP out of something not necessarily designed for it. At the end of the day you've still got a 1:25 or worse HP to weight ratio, worse than a Geo Metro. It's just not enough power for racing except on tiny tracks and all else equal the best motor wins......and I won't even start with reliability talking about the small clones.
The kart racing boom is here to stay with the "new economy" of the US. Racing is getting too costly otherwise for the average family. The 196cc clone may go the way of the flathead, but look at the transition slowly taking place. 270cc karts in UK, OVKA had 10+ 420cc predator karts in 2013 where they only had 4 the year before.

And to not derail, yes let them port them.

The 196cc clone may go the way of the flathead, but look at the transition slowly taking place.
:) You do realize that the only reason the flathead dwindled is because Briggs stopped selling them (killed them), right?
If Briggs were still selling flatheads there would be about as many clones as there are 206's.

:) You do realize that the only reason the flathead dwindled is because Briggs stopped selling them (killed them), right?
If Briggs were still selling flatheads there would be about as many clones as there are 206's.

I understand that, I was referring to the exodus of racers due to $1500 motors comprised of cherry picked parts because everyone is looking for that last extra 1/2 HP. Switching to the 420cc was the best thing I ever did, it brought THROTTLE CONTROL and reliability back to kart racing for me.

sure are!! got me one of them sitting in my shop right now!! best of every part available, winning motor, can't go wrong if you buy it from me!! and because your here on bob's with me.....i'll let you have it for $1495.00!! and the only thing you will have to do is put a clutch on it, your own header, replace a snapped head bolt, change the head because of a stripped out and cracked header bolt hole, get a new flywheel, a new carb, air cleaner, pull rope because I use an electric starter.....but past that, you will have one of the best race winning motors out there!!! so.....when you gonna send me the check?

all kidding aside...it's all about the flow baby!!! get a head and do what i'm doing....smooth the intake and exhaust runners...clean it all up and get rid of the ridges, pot holes (found a couple in a brand new hemi head...just little tiny dimples with sharp edges, but they were there) and any other obstruction to the flow...power is made in the head...everything else is used to support this happening. rod/piston, crank, cam, valves...all of it is used to do one thing...produce power....and that is produced in the combustion chamber. and where is that you ask? in the head!! porting and polishing a head? after last season, running a head that had been worked over...yes!! do it...if the rules allow!! at least get in there and make sure that the casting is smooth and not all rough and uneven!

and bob....I was flagging at a local kart track when they first brought out the animal...everyone thought of two things...it wouldn't last or it was the next best thing for racing....but it never went over like the flathead was....then along came this little motor that they called a clone...and now everyone is thinking two things.....it won't last much longer or its the best thing for kart racing....

Back