Recommendations on clutch and engine

I'm thinking about buying a new clutch and engine. Which clutch would you guys recommend and how many teeth, 17? Who would you recommend getting an engine from. I run at gopro and would only be racing in the monthly series they have. Thanks in advance.

Do they follow the briggs 206 clutch rule ?
The hillards are pretty good , simple and plentiful.
Engine , you want dyno tuned ? theres several good options there .
Straight out the box it dont matter .

I have no first hand knowledge but I had someone call me a couple of days ago and said that they don't do very good tech there.
He is very frustrated.
He wanted advice.
I've been through this so many times before so maybe some one else can give their advice.
To answer you question, I'd be very happy to help you with what ever you need.
Click below:http://www.fastermotors.net/COMPLETEBRIGGSENGINES.htmlFeel free to call me if you have questions.
920-207-9180

Last edited:
I have no first hand knowledge but I had someone call me a couple of days ago and said that they don't do very good tech there.
He is very frustrated.
He wanted advice.
I've been through this so many times before so maybe some one else can give their advice.
To answer you question, I'd be very happy to help you with what ever you need.
http://www.fastermotors.net/COMPLETEBRIGGSENGINES.htmlFeel free to call me if you have questions.
920-207-9180
So, when you say they don't do very good tech over there, does that mean people are cheating at gopro in the 206 classes?

Have run at GOPRO since 2016. I have actually saw tech man tell engine builder that his engine had piston pop out more than 3. The engine builder asked do you want me to sand the piston? Tech man said no its fine.
I dont always make it to the tech area, but when you have 12 races a year, 4 Briggs classes a day and since 2016 only one engine was thrown out for a spark plug. Do I think something is up. I sure do and I will not be running at GOPRO for the no tech that they are not doing. One other race they had an outside tech man come. This guy thew out the winner of a Briggs race, but the track over turned the call because they said a no go for a carb was a judgement call. Go run if you want, you may have the correct engine builder that will not ever get teched.

Have run at GOPRO since 2016. I have actually saw tech man tell engine builder that his engine had piston pop out more than 3. The engine builder asked do you want me to sand the piston? Tech man said no its fine.
I dont always make it to the tech area, but when you have 12 races a year, 4 Briggs classes a day and since 2016 only one engine was thrown out for a spark plug. Do I think something is up. I sure do and I will not be running at GOPRO for the no tech that they are not doing. One other race they had an outside tech man come. This guy thew out the winner of a Briggs race, but the track over turned the call because they said a no go for a carb was a judgement call. Go run if you want, you may have the correct engine builder that will not ever get teched.
Jame Russell, is that you...

That's a shame, really.
These engines MUST be teched, regardless of having seals or not.
I don't know the specifics of GoPro's tech, but I do know that training is available. :)

I'd be glad to help you with one of our race-ready LO206 engine packages (dyno tuned or not.)
For a clutch, I prefer the Hilliard with Bully conversion. Flame if you want to tune with weights, Fury if you want plug & play reliability.
If there's anything that we can help with, dollarbill, give us a call.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

I’ve raced at Go Pro since 2016. I’ve seen the same thing. Our pit was a unit that the winners had to push their kart by after tech. I’ve seen them almost beat me back to my pits...meaning no tech. I complain about it every race which has caused me great harm. I’ve won a few races, when I win (I do not run those engines) which is rare these days, I get fully tech and I was the one one Russell is talking about with the wrong spark plug. Which, by the way, was the first thing he looked at, put in his pocket and continued to fully tech my engine.
There’s a real problematic go pro with this one engine builder. The % of his engines are mind boggling all you have to do is go and walk up to the scales as they come in and see who’s sticker is on the engine. I’ve been racing 4-cycle off and on since 1980 and I’ve never seen anything like it.
The track and the engine builder have such confidence in that program they’re not worried about Briggs or anyone else. If you’re going to run at go pro you must have a “Go Pro Motor” or you’re toast. If you have the Go Pro Motor you can drive anyway you want agianst the other drivers without fear of penalty’s ( the engine builders son has a terrible reputation and he knows it and hope he reads this to respond about it) your tech will be non existent.
-Doug Rink

Sorry to continue this post...but- Since we have complained about the lack of tech for so long, we can’t “join them” with our own “big block” because of you beat the Go Pro Motor, with a non Go Pro Motor, you’ll be fully striped naked in tech. It’s very very frustrating because this race track is a world class facility but has the mentality of “rental racing” being entries is the only thing that matters. And there’s a bunch of those. I see this changing no time soon. For my team, and I hate to say this, we’re just going to have to run other places and series where there’s an actual tech on the Briggs. The Maxxis series seems to have a non fearful tech man so we’ll run that and maybe some other series. To me this is the one exception to the rule”you’ll never lose entries with a strong tech” I’ve said for a long time. At GPM this is not the case. Unfortunately other 206 racers see the sticker and don’t care and how do you blame them? Briggs should be involved but I don’t see that happening either. - GPM’s largest classes are 4-cycle and the majority of those are ONE engine builder. He’s got a honey hole and he’s gonna keep getting all that honey.

That's a shame, really.
These engines MUST be teched, regardless of having seals or not.
I don't know the specifics of GoPro's tech, but I do know that training is available. :)

I'd be glad to help you with one of our race-ready LO206 engine packages (dyno tuned or not.)
For a clutch, I prefer the Hilliard with Bully conversion. Flame if you want to tune with weights, Fury if you want plug & play reliability.
If there's anything that we can help with, dollarbill, give us a call.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
Brian, thank you for responding. I'm looking at making a few upgrades on the kart, so let me figure out what I am going to do next.

I’ve raced at Go Pro since 2016. I’ve seen the same thing. Our pit was a unit that the winners had to push their kart by after tech. I’ve seen them almost beat me back to my pits...meaning no tech. I complain about it every race which has caused me great harm. I’ve won a few races, when I win (I do not run those engines) which is rare these days, I get fully tech and I was the one one Russell is talking about with the wrong spark plug. Which, by the way, was the first thing he looked at, put in his pocket and continued to fully tech my engine.
There’s a real problematic go pro with this one engine builder. The % of his engines are mind boggling all you have to do is go and walk up to the scales as they come in and see who’s sticker is on the engine. I’ve been racing 4-cycle off and on since 1980 and I’ve never seen anything like it.
The track and the engine builder have such confidence in that program they’re not worried about Briggs or anyone else. If you’re going to run at go pro you must have a “Go Pro Motor” or you’re toast. If you have the Go Pro Motor you can drive anyway you want agianst the other drivers without fear of penalty’s ( the engine builders son has a terrible reputation and he knows it and hope he reads this to respond about it) your tech will be non existent.
-Doug Rink
Doug, it's me, Bill, with the Arrow kart. Thanks for responding. I'm looking to make some upgrades with my kart and was looking to see who everyone would mention with regards to these 2 parts. If you have ever seen me when I am watching the races, I always walk the grid up near the front of the pack because I want to see whose engines are running up front. I look for the stickers on the engines. At the last race, the majority of the stickers up front were DCRE, and GT Machines. Now, I know the first engine builder also has a son, but I don't know anything about the second builder. I don't have the cash to change the chassis, so, I will upgrade other things now that I can afford until I can get a new 4 stroke chassis.

This is actually bad for the program.
Briggs can't dictate what happens after the engine is sold .
With the premise of very little tech with the seal .
An average person wins they pull your head , disassemble it , call you bad .
Now you got a DQ and a box of parts you can not put together yourself .
Even if they pass you , your still left with a inoperable engine .

Doug, it's me, Bill, with the Arrow kart. Thanks for responding. I'm looking to make some upgrades with my kart and was looking to see who everyone would mention with regards to these 2 parts. If you have ever seen me when I am watching the races, I always walk the grid up near the front of the pack because I want to see whose engines are running up front. I look for the stickers on the engines. At the last race, the majority of the stickers up front were DCRE, and GT Machines. Now, I know the first engine builder also has a son, but I don't know anything about the second builder. I don't have the cash to change the chassis, so, I will upgrade other things now that I can afford until I can get a new 4 stroke chassis.

Bill- the "DCRE" sticker is Dwayne Craver a long time racer I've raced against since I was 12-years old. His engines are fast for sure but is not the majority of the engines. They had a really strong showing at the last race with one of his engines on the pole for the first time in the senior class, but as you saw, the other engine builder's son took her out in short order which as you might have also seen happened to me at the same race by the same person.

If you buy the other engine builder you mentioned, I'm not sure you have to do much with the kart you have other than keep good tires. But my fear would be you can't run that engine anywhere there is a real tech man. The tech man at Go Pro's last job there was fixing the rental karts. They have not had a tech man in over three years and its been the same guy for that length of time.

I get it, to own a race track is a business, why should they care about engine builder concentration when you have a lot of entries? My team helped create those entries by promoting the races there and getting the Heavy class started which is now likely the most competitive class they have...

I'm old fashioned in 4-cycle and call me a "purist" but without a strong tech you just don't know if someone is legal or illegal...so when you see ONE engine builder "flood the zone" with engines that you DON'T see at any other race track...…...well, you tend to think somethings up.

If that engine builder reads this post...then I invite him to ask Go Pro to hire an outside well respected third party tech man come in and properly tech his engines IF they win/podium that day. I will pay the tech man for his services that day in the heavy class. That's all I ask.

But for you, normally and anywhere else, I would say get your Kart first...then get a good engine. I can't say that at GPM and thats the only track you've mentioned you are going to.

Last edited:
Doug, well, that made things clear. Thank you for that. I was wondering about the first name I had mentioned because I knew you had known him for a long time and were good friends. I remember seeing the pictures you guys took together from a race last year. Gopro is the only track I would be racing at right now, except for maybe something at CMP. In the future, that may change. Any practice time would be at either of those 2 tracks. I have been to both of them. The engine I have now has the wrong seal, so I cannot enter any races at all. That's why I was thinking about getting a new engine or short block. I know that engine is at least 6-7 years old. If the engine is that old, would you recommend I get a whole new engine? Who knows how old the clutch and carb are. I just can't afford a chassis right now, but I can afford to change a few of these other things and at least have the ability to get back into a race. I will be changing the chassis when I can. This whole engine thing kind of reminds me of the steroid era in baseball. The unwritten rule of "don't do it, do it"! Baseball was against players using roids or ped's, knew the players were using them, putting up ridiculous numbers, but did nothing to stop it until it became way too much of an issue. I've never been one to want to cheat in any sport I have ever played, I'm not looking to cheat now, but if GPM is allowing these engines to pass, knowing full well something may not be legal, why wouldn't everyone be doing it? They're not going to stop it.

May or may not be cheating . Breezzing your way through tech and preferential treatment like the ref giving one team all the good calls .

If I were you, I would do whatever I could just to move forward to purchase an entire new engine. As you stated, your current engine has the old seals and if you were to purchase a new short block, by the time you rebuild the cylinder head and carburetor, you probably could have just bought all new. Cylinder head valve guides do wear out over time, valve seats become distorted and need to be recut, valves-valve springs-cylinder head gaskets, etc. need to be replaced, so it does add up quite quickly, especially if you add labor costs for someone to do this work for you. I recently bought an entire new engine and noticed right away that the engine runs much smoother and more crisp than the other I had when I purchased just a new short block and reconditioned the cylinder head & carburetor. Just my two cents...Good luck!

Brian and i are both Briggs Motorsports dealers and Briggs definitely has a process for dealing with us or any other dealer if we intentionally sell illegal motors or parts.
I'll bet you can figure out what it is.

Doug, well, that made things clear. Thank you for that. I was wondering about the first name I had mentioned because I knew you had known him for a long time and were good friends. I remember seeing the pictures you guys took together from a race last year. Gopro is the only track I would be racing at right now, except for maybe something at CMP. In the future, that may change. Any practice time would be at either of those 2 tracks. I have been to both of them. The engine I have now has the wrong seal, so I cannot enter any races at all. That's why I was thinking about getting a new engine or short block. I know that engine is at least 6-7 years old. If the engine is that old, would you recommend I get a whole new engine? Who knows how old the clutch and carb are. I just can't afford a chassis right now, but I can afford to change a few of these other things and at least have the ability to get back into a race. I will be changing the chassis when I can. This whole engine thing kind of reminds me of the steroid era in baseball. The unwritten rule of "don't do it, do it"! Baseball was against players using roids or ped's, knew the players were using them, putting up ridiculous numbers, but did nothing to stop it until it became way too much of an issue. I've never been one to want to cheat in any sport I have ever played, I'm not looking to cheat now, but if GPM is allowing these engines to pass, knowing full well something may not be legal, why wouldn't everyone be doing it? They're not going to stop it.

Brian, I'm not saying GT Machine is legal or illegal. I have a strong feeling Craver is legal or at least I wouldn't ever worry about his engines in the tech room but we run all over the SE. You're running one race track. My "normal" advice would be to get a builder that specializes and spends time developing these engines with a dyno like Craver, Jim and Brian on here and I agree with the comment about not using the old engine. So my alternative advice is NOT what you SHOULD do but is WHAT I WOULD DO IF I WERE YOU and you run one race track currently...I would take the head off and have it cut 50,000 and reinstall with a new head gasket and set the float bowl height just below 900 on the existing engine, gap the spark plug at 10,000 and get "Cooter Man Oil" from Cowpens, SC...tell him you want it red and go run. Even with that...you'd be hard pressed to win but at least you'll be competitive. Again, this is ADVICE YOU SHOULD NOT TAKE but can accomplish for less than $100 and then you just save your money for a new Kart that you would normally start with. I don't see the difference in anything like I just said if they are not going to tech...the cable without a black wire I'm not even sure they are checking that. But here is something very interesting I want you to check next time you go.....

Look at the first 4-rows of karts in the prefinal or final. The ones with the blue sticker (with only one exception I can find) all have the grey seal and not the orange seal. The first three rows are mainly "teams" that buy new karts every year and I assume new engines...why would you buy new karts and run old engines if cost is no object. I noticed this the last few races....maybe I don;t know Briggs but can you still buy the silver seal engines? I havent been able to in 2-years...
-doug

Back