Right front tire patch

Makes one almost think a 6" wide tire being fully used would be better.....and less semi-sprung weight.... :) Back when everyone concluded that 8" or wider was faster, I doubt they were profiling tires and playing with prep as much...Might be time to revisit some fundamental assumptions.

Makes one almost think a 6" wide tire being fully used would be better.....and less semi-sprung weight.... :) Back when everyone concluded that 8" or wider was faster, I doubt they were profiling tires and playing with prep as much...Might be time to revisit some fundamental assumptions.
If tires were available with a range of sidewall stiffness, that could be the adjustment.

Put a 7.10 on a 10 inch wheel and see the difference

Which is why rules limit wheel width to 10 inch max width.

The idea is to decrease rolling resistance.
Obviously there is excess traction available.

Again, with limited hp, roll speed is king.

There was a lot of profiling being done back then, especially trying to figure out some of the things we now know are better for the tire. And Tire prep is what changed a lot of these fundamental assumptions about tires, lol.

Sure the bigger tire on the ground is better for grip, but in the world of stocks as 95 Shaw has pointed out excess traction is the issue, not the solution. There has almost always been an excess of traction in stock karts. It's about freeing the kart up enough to get it to roll free. Then rely on weight transfer to get to work. Then on top of that we have better prep now. Traction is rarely ever the real issue.

Bigger tire was more than just more on the track, think heat.

Use of the g force tracker on your mychron should tell you if loading, or unloading.

If g force rising, right tire loads are increasing.

If g force dropping, right side tires are unloading.

Use of the formulas I gave in the chassis math thread prove this out.

The cg height plays a role in how much loading or unloading occurs, as well as the spring rate of the chassis helps determine which tire is loading, or unloading.

Just food for thought.
Iy seems like the lines should be longer going into the turn then get shorter as you come out of the turn. Would that be right?

Iy seems like the lines should be longer going into the turn then get shorter as you come out of the turn. Would that be right?
My chassis theory says rr loads due to weight jacking from lf to start turn in.

G forces crank up, adding load to rr. As you pass apex, g forces start dropping as rotation is complete. Rr unloads. Slip on rr increases.

For theory purposes, lr always maintains 100% traction. Rr slips to make stagger usable in the corner, but not drag down the straights. Ideally, just before apex, both rear tires are not slipping. After apex, as the g forces decline, the rr begins slipping slightly.
As the tire surface speed on rr is greater than ground speed, what traction being utilized is helping drive kart forward.

Extrapolate from there.

Last edited:
Back