Right rear tire wear

Dont matter how old the kart is to adjust stagger. Stagger is done with tires, not kart.
Stagger on the left? Stagger is the difference between 2 tires.

Dont matter how old the kart is to adjust stagger. Stagger is done with tires, not kart.
Stagger on the left? Stagger is the difference between 2 tires.
Sorry for the mistake, please replace the word "stagger" with the word "caster". Sorry about that.

How do you know that? Did I miss something?

5280' / 8 = 660' circumference

660 / pi = 210' diameter circle

210' / 2 = 105' radius

I suppose if the track was a "D" shape, there could be 2 dead sharp corners and one bigger corner that would have a radius slightly larger than 105', however that's probably unlikely.

PM

You don't have to wonder that, it would certainly be better than none at all.
I don't know how you came to that conclusion! If the stagger was twice as much as you need, it would be wrong in tthe corners and down the straight. No stagger would be better down the straight even If it is wrong in the corners.

I don't know how you came to that conclusion! If the stagger was twice as much as you need, it would be wrong in tthe corners and down the straight. No stagger would be better down the straight even If it is wrong in the corners.
No stagger in the corners would be far more detrimental than too much stagger on the straights and corners.
I win a lot of races on what would be commonly accepted as too much stagger.

Here's an 8th mile track inside in 8th mile circle. In 10 foot increments, there would be 10 tracks between them. Every track with having different set up.

Attachments

• 8th mile tracks.jpg
    8th mile tracks.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 11
No stagger in the corners would be far more detrimental than too much stagger on the straights and corners.
I win a lot of races on what would be commonly accepted as too much stagger.
My thinking is; twice the needed stagger in the corners and down the straights would be worse than no stagger in the corners and no stagger down the straights. It seems to me that twice the correct stagger in the corners is just as bad is no stagger in the corners. Where as, down the straights, no stagger is much much better than twice the stagger needed.

My thinking is; twice the needed stagger in the corners and down the straights would be worse than no stagger in the corners and no stagger down the straights. It seems to me that twice the correct stagger in the corners is just as bad is no stagger in the corners. Where as, down the straights, no stagger is much much better than twice the stagger needed.
Might be your thinking, BUT not the way it would work out !!

I think you are in error................. maybe not, but you could give me some explanation as to why you think that.
Dirt oval racing is all about momentum, with to much rear stagger you would be loose in the rear BUT can control it with throttle control, with no rear stagger it would push like a dump truck, best way to get it to turn would be off the throttle and stab the breaks and still wait on it a little, or roll completely out of throttle and wait on it a lot, throttle control would maintain a lot more momentum ending up much faster, than stabbing the breaks or waiting on it to long.

Racing Promotor (and others):

Is it "logical" that stagger should be somewhere between the "ideal" stagger for the two points I've marked? If the kart is not handling correctly keeping things somewhere between those stagger values, maybe look elsewhere (cross weight, caster, etc.) ?

I'm all up for enlightenment!

PM

track 4.36.48 PM.jpg

Is it "logical" that stagger should be somewhere between the "ideal" stagger for the two points I've marked? If the kart is not handling correctly keeping things somewhere between those stagger values, maybe look elsewhere (cross weight, caster, etc.) ?

PM

View attachment 16111
And if tires are to far off, or the driver line they are driving, It's all out the window anyway !!

I think you are in error................. maybe not, but you could give me some explanation as to why you think that.
The amount of experience between RP And XXX40 are one explanation .
Its hard to discredit results . Results , after all are data via lap times .
No , its not a ten year study of too little vs too much stagger . It is however real world testing .

PM

View attachment 16111
logically per calculation absolutely yes on this much and this less.

But you can absolutely consider the thought process getting you there to be incorrect and incomplete.

Stagger is a tool used by the operation of the chassis.

Stagger does not determine how the chassis will use it, as a tool.
It can determine how the chassis can or needs to be used.

Any stagger normally is only correct at any place on the track because of how the chassis engages each rear tire separately and independently with the track because of how grip at any moment around the track is made or accessed.

Pete, depending on how weight is applied to alter grip to each of your two rear tires, with each having different tire surface speeds, stagger can be perfect at every place around the track you pictured.

It can be more or less and work at each place pointed out around the track, per the line drawn.

edit: removed the below from the last sentence because what was arrowed referred to an idea, not something exact which my reply indicated.

"not just what is arrowed."

Last edited:
Back