Right side tires

bullerman

Do you generally try to keep right side tires at a 34" roll out and adjust stagger with the left side tires? Really trying to get this stagger close to what I was told.

On reapers, how small are you able to get left sides. I would like to try a 1-7/8 to 2" rear stagger at a track. Was thinking I would just increase the rights to 34.5 to help. Any issues there? Or will the lefts shrink to 32ish.

On reapers, how small are you able to get left sides. I would like to try a 1-7/8 to 2" rear stagger at a track. Was thinking I would just increase the rights to 34.5 to help. Any issues there? Or will the lefts shrink to 32ish.
Doubt you'll get LR below 32 1/2" and you'll play fits to accomplish that , I wouldn't worry about the rights being bigger than 34 " nor would I worry about both being exactly the same. With in 1/4" and roll.

You'll be hard pressed to get a LR that small -- it might be done with heat/freeze and repeat process over time. You can increase the right sides to 34 1/2" just be aware of changes to ride height and rake of your chassis and how that will affect your set-up (ie right side % will increase, etc.) It will also affect your gearing by a tooth or two.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
www.youtube.com
34 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Didn't know how much the right sides could vary. I have got some Maxxis I am trying to get ready. They are take off but in really good shape. I need to get on a prep program for down South. Would the same program work for Vegas or Maxxis. We run a short sandy track.
So if i need to run a 34 1/4 on the front and a 34 on the rear or vice versa it wouldn't make that much difference. I may not have to but just wanted to know.

Didn't know how much the right sides could vary. I have got some Maxxis I am trying to get ready. They are take off but in really good shape. I need to get on a prep program for down South. Would the same program work for Vegas or Maxxis. We run a short sandy track.
So if i need to run a 34 1/4 on the front and a 34 on the rear or vice versa it wouldn't make that much difference. I may not have to but just wanted to know.
Running 34 1/4" on the RF and 34" on the RR would increase your cross over running both right sides @ 34." I would rather change cross with washers.
I don't like to run different right sides. That's not the way the chassis was designed, but I do realize that you can make it work. It will change slightly how the car transfers weight as well. The ride height on the RF will increase ever so slightly.
That said, I know of several customers who have very limited resources / tires and use two different right side tire sizes so they have options on stagger (by swapping RR & RF.)
The biggest thing is to be consistent. If you go from 34" to something else, you KNOW that your scale number will change. Just be aware of that and adjust accordingly if you must run different size right sides.

You'll be hard pressed to get a LR that small -- it might be done with heat/freeze and repeat process over time. You can increase the right sides to 34 1/2" just be aware of changes to ride height and rake of your chassis and how that will affect your set-up (ie right side % will increase, etc.) It will also affect your gearing by a tooth or two.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
www.youtube.com
34 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
I understand the gearing change and ride height change, but struggling with why the rake would change. If both rights go up 1/2" and LF is 33" instead of 32.5". Not arguing just understanding. I am sure, at my level I am not going to know the difference but starting to feel some differences and understand the basics.

Dont matter if the rights are at 33.5", 33.75", 34", 34.25", just try to keep them same sized so you can swap front to back when need be. Adjust stagger with the lefts according to what size rights you have.
Most keep tires at 34", just the way its been for the majority for yrs., and what the tires seem to roll out to closer from mounting, for the most part.

I believe i can stay with 34" front and rear. I got bunch of tires from a friend of mine. They were probably sized to 34.

I understand the gearing change and ride height change, but struggling with why the rake would change. If both rights go up 1/2" and LF is 33" instead of 32.5". Not arguing just understanding. I am sure, at my level I am not going to know the difference but starting to feel some differences and understand the basics.
If you are raising the LF equally, then the rake won't change across the front. If you only increased the rights, then the rake would change.
Increasing rear stagger changes the rear rake.
With fixed suspension like a kart, we generally don't talk about rake like we would with a big car and full suspension. On a big car you set the ride heights with the suspension (not just the tires.)
Regardless, the ride height changes on each corner when the tire size is changed, (big car or kart,) and you need to take that into consideration. Since karts are designed with a ride height utilizing 34" tires, that's why we keep all the rights the same (34.")

Do you generally try to keep right side tires at a 34" roll out and adjust stagger with the left side tires? Really trying to get this stagger close to what I was told.
As a reference, Set the air pressure on your tires first
5 left 6 rights
Then measure front tires circumference and the difference is your stagger in front. Same goes for the rear.
You can shrink or stretch your tires to get them to the correct size with heat or air pressure. After stretching them or shrinking them put the tire back at the 5-6 air pressure to check them like originally and check your stagger again. Repeat as many times as necessary. Be consistent with your air pressure and make sure it’s set before checking stagger or scaling. During the week keep the right sides pumped up to maintain the stagger and it will make things easier for you towards the weekend.
Most will run 1-1/2 front stagger
3/4 to 1-1/2 stagger in the rear depending on the track size or shape. Tighter the corners more stagger and bigger tracks less stagger rear.

Back