rookie clutch ID

foreverfaster

Site Supporter
5 bolts, 5 levers, 5 springs (yellow top) 2 disk (3 tabs),1 spacer between the disks.
The ?basket, has 4 allen head cap screws around a square block that appears to be part of how the driver (gear) is attached to the basket.
the levers have each 1 allen bolt with nut going through them.. seems odd.
can someone identify this clutch?
can someone explain why the levers have a bold and nut attached and nothing else?

thanks

The bolts and nut are for wait to keep it ingaged at rpm take to a local kart shop and have them set for the class you are running

It sounds like one of the Horstman clutches with the square driver with four bolts holding it to the basket.

But, the bolts in the levers are to add weight to lower the engagement RPM closer to a suitable rpm for a Jr or even adult class engine. This is very common, and not odd at all. Get on the jc specialty website and check the online magazine, they have pics and diagrams of the clutches. Or just look up the Horstman clutches there are lots of diagrams on the internet.

That is the Horstman X5 clutch, all the others Horstman makes uses 6 springs. X5 is a pretty unique clutch and parts are hard to find for them now as far as I know, but they are great clutches, especially for JR classes

X5 Horstman for sure.
That clutch has been discontinued. I don't know of anything that you can't replace on them just yet, but the day is coming to be sure.
I still have several baskets and lots of drivers (new & used) available for them at a discounted price if you need. Probably enough used parts to just about build a complete X5.
If you need something, just give me a holler.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
26 years of service to the karting industry
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Back