Rwyb guys, how big is too big?

Hobby87

Looking to add 12-14"of lexan side board to my already 30" high left sideboard on my wedge (right side is 24" high) hoping to get some additional down force getting into the corner, but wondering if there is a breaking point, making the sideboard more of a drag vs a helper? Running it on a stock cr250. 1/8 - 1/5 mile dirt ovals

Thanks, Matt

30" is way too high for my tastes. I'm 6' 1" tall and my next kart will put my head at 24" high, including my helmet.

I would like to add, even clear Lexan is impossible to see through when dirt or mud sticks to it. This is easy to happen when you have alcohol burning engines in front of you with their mist on cautions.....then the dust sticks to it. Clear becomes opaque real quick. It's a bad idea.

Mike

A side board makes a very small amount of drag going down the straight (where drag would be an issue). The sideboard is most effective behind the rear axle centerline. The higher the better from the rear wheels back! Just cut the front down enough for safety.

Wayne

thanks guys, I too am 6"1 with a long torso, so seeing over the current body is not an issue, but would be once lexan is added sogood to know about the dirt, etc.. getting on it. Also, thanks Wayne for the insight, now I know why people are building the body longer/higher from the axle on back, I'll have to look at my current desing and see what I can do to maximize the lexan.

the comment about a higher CG got me thinking, about how the kart reacts, and my thought was the added left side weight shouldn't do much to the CG at corning because the added air pressure on it "should" keep it from "rolling/transfering", but I'd be interested in others insights on this... my thought was, if anything it will decrease transfer from LR to RF because if the added air pressure/wind resistance on it?

Too high from a safety/vantage point I can understand, but from an effectiveness standpoint? The way I see it, the 250/500 outlaw wing karts turn alot faster laps than wedged UAS karts with similar powerplants ( at least in my area), so that has to be something to the larger wing/sideboard, especially when cornering

Wing and Wedge are totally different animals. Wedge creates way more drag, wing makes more down-force. There is a total height spec. in the UAS rule book.

Too high from a safety/vantage point I can understand, but from an effectiveness standpoint? The way I see it, the 250/500 outlaw wing karts turn alot faster laps than wedged UAS karts with similar powerplants ( at least in my area), so that has to be something to the larger wing/sideboard, especially when cornering

QRC in this area are much slower than any UAS kart. Years ago the first race at duquion had a large group of qrcs including kyle larson. Jr 2 were turning 0.2sec faster than the 500's.

Side panel height won't give you more down force. And at the maximum height given the current UAS rules your going to be a huge block of vision for the karts around you. Ive raced some guys using the max height and its no fun trying to see around them. Just saying.

I appreciate all the guidance, and will take them into consideration, I do want to point out though, I am aware of the max height rule for UAS, thus the reason this was titled RYWB. My goal, if I add any additional lexan would be to make it removeable as my current wedge is within the 30" height rule.

Brian, I wonder if is "caliber of competition" on our end or difference in track size/surface? Hmmm, interesting non the less... all I know is, last fall at a RYWB/UAS race at our local track a guy added a similar piece of sideboard and he waxed the field with his 450, and there was some strong UAS guys/gals competing. Seemed he could carry his corner speed (this was on a 1/9th mile oval, med/low banking)

Thanks, Matt

Sounds like he had better tires. 95 times out of 100, that's the difference between winning and not.
Good Luck,
Mike

hobby 87, the way i see it, CG takes a back seat to an extent, to the downforce function of the bodywork. like wayne said, as long as its behind the axle. and as long as it doesn't weigh a ton. back there it doesn't take much away from folks behind you (lol) as far as vision. but back there, behind the axle, its more effective during cornering especially when tracks aren't at their greatest, and your sliding, and fighting for bite. especially when you are nose up in the leader. face it, 2nd place sux, but the further back your wings are the more of a chance they have to catch wind when you are pressing on. and by the way, wayne makes a nice splitter for front downforce. in clean air and dirty for those pesky heats. :)

Just finished my wedge sides, it measures 24" to the top. I still have to do the decking though. I think it looks quite nice, myself. I'm hoping it will help a little too maybe. Ignore the stock Predator, it's soon to be modded and it's just there for mock-up.

For my first go at it I think it looks pretty nice.

Jawa09, I have considered adding a splitter as well, but need to put a different nose on to do so as the M&M is not designed well for adding a splitter. I also need to be mindful of overall weight as I'm not the littliest of men....

The person Matt is talking about is me. We normally run under rwyb rules so I built a 14" inch tall clear piece of lexan to go on the left side of the wedge. The side panel really makes a difference in corner speed and entering the corner. It doesn't make the kart drag down the straights but you don't have to set the kart up getting in the corner. The panel does it for you. On the tire issue, I had a set of maxxis pink and blues that duel at 50. I took them off and went with the tread due to track conditions.

I'll have to measure it again. I don't remember exactly. I can measure this afternoon when I get back to the house.

Hey matt, the rear of the left side is 38 tall and the front is 19 with the lexan. With out it is 30 and 11. I actually have the lexan six inches down on the inside for strength. The first one ripped my body due to so much force against it.

Back