Scale numbers / Questions

Lucky_7

Stay with me here. I might be opening a door that should stay shut.

Let set the kart on the scales, loaded with the driver under racing conditions. The kart is scaled and sitting 61C / 47F/ 58.5L (these are imaginary numbers but close). Now, if you are to look at the weight of the front end, which side weighs more, and by how much? My theory here is the RF is heavier than the LF. What I dont know is what should the spread be, 108 to 92, or 102 to 98.

The reason for the question is; what are tuning is the kart under a load, while turning, and not only turning, but turning both left, initially, then turning slightly back to the right to compensate the drift angle of the kart. In my head I think the front tires should be sharing the load while turning in, but as the kart rotates the RF will eventually take over and handle the majority of the load.

The desired scale numbers are with the kart in a static position and a are a base line. Trust me, the folks who design and build karts have got the cornering weights and angles well figured out. The spindle angles create the changes needed for cornering. If you stop and think about it the only time the kart goes straight {and in the same position as on your scales) is on the front and backstretch, where the numbers don't really matter.

The desired scale numbers are with the kart in a static position and a are a base line. Trust me, the folks who design and build karts have got the cornering weights and angles well figured out. The spindle angles create the changes needed for cornering. If you stop and think about it the only time the kart goes straight {and in the same position as on your scales) is on the front and backstretch, where the numbers don't really matter.
I see your point, but I can scale the kart with the LF and RF at 100 lbs a each, or, I can scale it with the LF at 80, and the RF at 110. The scales can still read 61/47/58.5 both ways. "edit: other things on the kart would need to be adjusted of course".

My question is: which is preferred?

Last edited:
Put it back on the scales, driver and all. Watch the weights change (dramatically} as the wheels are turned each direction. The weight changes are built into the design of the chassis. Now if you want to take your kart Soap Box Derby racing go ahead and put all the wheels at equal weights. It wont turn after the race is over. Remember to inflate the heck out of the tires.

If the percentages are correct, then corner weight has to be correct also.
You can not make both front tires at same weight, and same overall weight, and have the correct percentages.

Perfect.

While I thought this was the case. I needed some reassurance. Wanted to make sure my thought process was inline. Sorry for baiting you guys into some answers. It did work though....;)

Last edited:
Back