Scaling for sprint?

Devil-D-Dawg

Are you looking to get as close to 50/50 balance as possible with a sprint kart?

I imagine that is the case, but was curious if there are any opinions otherwise...

Most karts that is the case. Many american karts have offset attributes and benefit from a bit of an offset setup if tire rules and track layout allow

If the track is equal rights vs equal lefts and all the turns are the same.. I would look for a 50/50 setup.. but that is usually not that case.

I still use 50/50 even on "unbalanced" tracks because I prefer the "same" feel turning L and R. Now if it's an extreme case (ie. 5 lefts, 1 right) that's different....

Now if it's an extreme case (ie. 5 lefts, 1 right) that's different....
some people would take that as set up to turn left better. But, consider which turn(s) are the most important also. "What if" in the above case the 5 left turns were fairly flat out and the right hand was tight technical turn? could you set up for better right turn and make up more time in that portion of the track as compare to what little you would lose in the other parts?

Typically slower turn(s) leading onto a straight section of a track are prime places for overtaking...and for decreasing your lap time...a chassis set up that allows you to optimize the slower turn(s) will have a greater effect on reducing your lap times.

I’m wondering why nobody has asked if you mean left to right or front to back. I’m assuming you mean left to right
There was a track where we actually off set the wheel base left to right. We moved the left wheels out and the right wheels a little in. But that track and one big banked right hand sweeper, a little right hand banked sleeper and a hard right onto a long straight.

Comments, compliments, criticisms and questions always welcome.
If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory.

Al, it was assumed through common sense he was speaking about left/right because almost no one can achieve 50% front weight. Most karts are close to 44% with no lead mounted. Even 20 pounds hanging from the front bumper wouldn't be able to get to 50% front. Your other comment has some validity but it's track width not wheel base

Al, it was assumed through common sense he was speaking about left/right because almost no one can achieve 50% front weight. Most karts are close to 44% with no lead mounted. Even 20 pounds hanging from the front bumper wouldn't be able to get to 50% front. Your other comment has some validity but it's track width not wheel base
And I did say “assuming left to right”. You really should read the “whole” post before commenting.
I didn’t say track width because we pretty much kept the same track “width”, and offset the “wheel base” to the left. That may not be the exact right term, (wheel base is most often thought of as front to rear) but you get the idea.

Most karts are close to 44% with no lead mounted. Even 20 pounds hanging from the front bumper wouldn't be able to get to 50% front.
Common sense?? I wonder!!
You should look at what the LTO karts have for front weight. Forty seven %, and sometimes higher, is not uncommon. Very seldom do you see LTO karts with so little as 44% front weight. So go tell them it can’t be done.

Yeah common sense which you obviously lack. The post was in regards to a sprint kart was it not? I am fully aware that the majority of oval karts target 46.5% front. They also naturally have more than a sprint kart because the seat mount location is farther forward. Listen more and talk less because you are lost if you can't infer what the post was about

Yeah common sense which you obviously lack. The post was in regards to a sprint kart was it not? I am fully aware that the majority of oval karts target 46.5% front. They also naturally have more than a sprint kart because the seat mount location is farther forward. Listen more and talk less because you are lost if you can't infer what the post was about
I would love to continue this but not here on bob's. I'm pretty sure I could get much more insulting than you, but there's no profit in it, and bob doesn't like it.

The insulting part would be if I was wrong. Feel free to pm me if you would like to argue why you are right. Research track width vs wheel base and come back and tell me who's wrong.

Ted, most European karts run better at 50/50 (left/right). Believe it or not most European manufacturers don't even use scales, specially at tbe track. The way the frames are built don't like an unbalanced l/r weight distribution.

Santiago - I have a cool book on Birel that mentions the World Champs at Charlotte Motor Speedway in 1999-2000 or so.... I believe BIREL made a special frame that allowed for asymetrical setup just for that race because that track has so many left turns... The euro manufacturers have their seat placement down to the mm, and everything is designed around chassis working right, not driver comfort. :)

The manual for your kart, if available, will have the preferred % F/R and L/R. I'm about 45% front and within a # side to side. My right rear is a little heavy from my big block motor but the track is dominantly RH turns so I left it alone.

Remember scaling your chassis provides you with a starting point from which you can adjust to find improvements....if improvements are found you have created a new starting point....which you can return to if you get lost when tuning.......

Ted, I have an old Birel that is an LTO design. I knew it was odd for a Birel, Does your book have many details about them?

Birel did a limited run of LTO's for the American market before WKA banned them. They're small tube, and rare. A guy in the midwest was selling a bunch of partial chassis at a good rate, but hard to resell as they're technically illegal. Not much info on them as they weren't popular, and this book has nothing on them. Sorry....

Back